Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start a thread for us to chime in and provide some info that we can all glean from regarding care and maintenance specific to keeping our vehicles looking their best and retaining their value.
What products and methods do you use with success? (What products/methods to avoid)
Tips/tricks for washing,cleaning, preserving, detailing etc.

To start:
The Passport has lots of plastic on it's exterior and I personally do not sit idle and watch the summer heat fade and oxidize all my black plastic.
So this is what I found works well for me, regularly applied it has preserved the deep blacks and sheds dirt and water very well.
The front grill looks like it will definitely require frequent care.

[/URL]

Looking forward to all of your input!

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have the money, ppf then ceramic. Otherwise, ceramic coating. For me, I've personally seen ppf removal on cars 5+ years old and clear and paint come off, so hesitant as I generally keep cars for a while. Wash, decontaminate with tar and iron or clay, wash again, polish with rotary, wash again, panel prep, then ceramic. I use carpro reset car wash, Gyeon iron, tar, and prep, sonax perfect finish polish, Gyeon rim, tuf shine tire clearcoat, 303 protectant on plastic and trim, 2 coats of Kamikaze miyabi + 1 coat Kamikaze ism over everything. There's definitely a lot of choices in coatings so do research and look at examples. Lots of time and money, but very pleased with results and should last 3 years and make washing easier and more rewarding

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Vacuum weekly and condition the seats monthly. I park way out from stores and far enough from other vehicles so I can’t be dinged. Careful parking is the single best thing I’ve found to keep my vehicles looking good. I wash it every few months.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,493 Posts
Vacuum weekly and condition the seats monthly. I park way out from stores and far enough from other vehicles so I can’t be dinged. Careful parking is the single best thing I’ve found to keep my vehicles looking good. I wash it every few months.
What are you using for your seat conditioner?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,493 Posts
XPEL protection, ceramic wax twice a year, garage park when I can which is about 90%, wash it myself maybe 2x a month depending on how often I drive it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
If you have the money, ppf then ceramic. Otherwise, ceramic coating. For me, I've personally seen ppf removal on cars 5+ years old and clear and paint come off, so hesitant as I generally keep cars for a while. Wash, decontaminate with tar and iron or clay, wash again, polish with rotary, wash again, panel prep, then ceramic. I use carpro reset car wash, Gyeon iron, tar, and prep, sonax perfect finish polish, Gyeon rim, tuf shine tire clearcoat, 303 protectant on plastic and trim, 2 coats of Kamikaze miyabi + 1 coat Kamikaze ism over everything. There's definitely a lot of choices in coatings so do research and look at examples. Lots of time and money, but very pleased with results and should last 3 years and make washing easier and more rewarding
It's the shiniest finish I've ever seen. I'll make certain I don't park my dirty Lunar Silver Elite near yours!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I’m used to washing my vehicles every week, but the Passport is a beast to wash properly. Hand wash only for me, I don’t trust those spinning car washes on my paint. I have a rack and roof cargo basket on mine so it’s a pain to get that washed and dried under there. I use a leaf blower to get a lot of the water out and then dry it by hand. It takes about a solid 1 1/2 hours for me total.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Years ago, I would wash & wax twice a month and using P21s Carnauba wax.

I've switched 3 years ago to Fusso Coat Soft 99. I apply it every 9 or 10 months. It is still beading water very, very well, after all of that time. Keep it off the black plastic and apply it very very sparingly. If you get it on the plastic you can use Wipe New for Plastic to get it off.

Reactions: TROPSSAP

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use distilled water a lot on the interior, personally I do not like products that leave an artificial sheen on surfaces or are supposed to make your car smell fruity or floral.
Distilled water is completely neutral, leaves no smell or residue. I use it in a spray bottle with a microfiber towel, it leaves all finishes looking new.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
825 Posts
G
I use distilled water a lot on the interior, personally I do not like products that leave an artificial sheen on surfaces or are supposed to make your car smell fruity or floral.
Distilled water is completely neutral, leaves no smell or residue. I use it in a spray bottle with a microfiber towel, it leaves all finishes looking new.
Great idea!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I use this air dryer, so nothing touches my Passport to dry it other than air. A bit expensive but it works great. Glad I bought it a few years ago when it was a little cheaper.
After trying nearly every product on the market to keep the black plastic trim looking good, I found this a couple years back. Absolutely the best I've every used.

Reactions: TROPSSAP

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do a YouTube search for "Auto Detailing" and you will get more ideas from pro detailers than you can watch. They also do comparisons with the top products available.
My neighbor was a body shop manager and his cars always looked show-room amazing and they were not kept in the garage. He told me the secret was washing every week. It worked for him, but the best I can do is once a month at best. Compared to a small sedan a Passport takes some work to detail.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The 303 seems to get high praise across the board, must get some!
Another good use for 303, although not visual - door gaskets. I always give a new vehicle 2 coats, and then recoat about every 5 yrs. Helps to keep them supple and easier wipe down after a car wash.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I spent a lot of time last year watching detailers and reviewers on youtube, like Apex Detailing, AMMO NYC, Dallas Paint Correction, Pan TheOrganizer, etc., to get an idea of product comparisons and methods used.
After thoroughly detailing the Pilot and the Passport, finishing off with Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Liquid Wax, I decided to try some of these new products out there as a top coat since carnauba, for me, usually starts showing sign of decay in about 6 months. Both vehicles are garaged overnight, except for the 15 day trip we took with the PP.

On the Pilot I used 303 SiO2 Based Touchless Sealant. Wow, was that easy to apply.
It's been 9 months and about 10 hand washes and it is still holding up quite well. No complaints.

On the PP I used Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine. Some of the tests I watched with this were outstanding. TW has really stepped up their game, and when introduced, this was selling for $6.99 (now more like $9.99), so thought it worth a try.
It's been 8 months and about 18 hand washes and it also is still holding up quite well. No complaints.

I use a pressure washer, Turtle Wax ICE Snow Foam Wash, and a de-ionized final rinse (water spotting a real problem if I don't), leaf blower to move the large beads and get rid of water behind trim pieces, and Griot's PFM towels for wipe down.

Trim and vinyl gets McKee's 37 Plastic Trim Restorer.
Tires get Surf City Garage Beyond Black Tire Dressing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I spent a lot of time last year watching detailers and reviewers on youtube, like Apex Detailing, AMMO NYC, Dallas Paint Correction, Pan TheOrganizer, etc., to get an idea of product comparisons and methods used.
After thoroughly detailing the Pilot and the Passport, finishing off with Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Liquid Wax, I decided to try some of these new products out there as a top coat since carnauba, for me, usually starts showing sign of decay in about 6 months. Both vehicles are garaged overnight, except for the 15 day trip we took with the PP.

On the Pilot I used 303 SiO2 Based Touchless Sealant. Wow, was that easy to apply.
It's been 9 months and about 10 hand washes and it is still holding up quite well. No complaints.

On the PP I used Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine. Some of the tests I watched with this were outstanding. TW has really stepped up their game, and when introduced, this was selling for $6.99 (now more like $9.99), so thought it worth a try.
It's been 8 months and about 18 hand washes and it also is still holding up quite well. No complaints.

I use a pressure washer, Turtle Wax ICE Snow Foam Wash, and a de-ionized final rinse (water spotting a real problem if I don't), leaf blower to move the large beads and get rid of water behind trim pieces, and Griot's PFM towels for wipe down.

Trim and vinyl gets McKee's 37 Plastic Trim Restorer.
Tires get Surf City Garage Beyond Black Tire Dressing.
Those are some awesome recommendations Cajack42! Thanks!
You mentioned de-ionized final rinse, can you elaborate on how this is done?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts