Honda Passport Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I had a real close call due to my own slightly aggressive driving and the response of the Collision system. There was a car in the left lane this morning going 50 in a 55 (aka 75 during rush hour.) People eventually started to pass around her on the right and jump back into the left. As I went for my move the car abruptly started braking and cut the gas because it thought I was going to hit the car in the middle lane as I was moving to the left lane. It basically acted like I was brake checking the lady going slow in the left lane. Thankfully she was able to stop but it scared the crap out of me and her. I felt really bad. I had my foot on the gas and all of a sudden the gas pedal was cut off and the brakes jammed on really card. If the system had been off it would have been no problem. I didn't think the move I was making was nutty. It was aggressive but there was at least two car lengths for me to move into.

Anyway. The system works and is extremely cautious. I decided to leave it on and just chill out but I would turn it off if I was trying get some where quick and needed to make some tight passes.
I had a slightly similar situation last week with my Passport. A car was turning left & I was starting to accelerate to continue straight when all of a sudden the brakes slammed on. Luckily the car behind me didn’t hit me. My head went back & forth twice. I didn’t think anything more about what had happened until 2-3 days later when I was dealing with whiplash symptoms. I had a Pilot before & it would do the occasional tap but never slammed on the brakes. I will look into how I can turn down the sensitivity or turn it off. I can’t deal with whiplash again because the vehicle thinks I’m going to collide with a car that is turning left & I am going straight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Recently we were headed home and being on a two lane highway that expands into 4 lanes we had the PP slam the brakes on for whatever reason I don't know. I was in the center of my lane when this happened...thank God there was no one behind us. I did that same route again and it didn't occur. One thing I did notice was when the pavement (blacktop) has been repaired in long stretches of highway with a sealer and it has rained (night time)...the PP
reads that strip of tar that is wet as if it were painted dividing lines on the highway. The steering kept pushing me away from that tar strip. Seems this system needs a lot of work and at times is totally unsafe.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have also had several spontaneous brake warnings (but without braking intervention) for no apparent reason. Vehicle is in for its first service. Reported it to service advisor who offered a road test and search for computer upgrades. If no action is taken by the dealer I'll just start switching it off each time I drive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had this happen several times. The most dangerous was on a 4 lane road, no divider, coming up to a sharp 45" turn in the road. I'm in the left lane as is the opposing vehical, we meet on the corner, my passport slams on the brakes - maximum braking - when there was zero danger of a collision. This is not the first time it has happened. In an otherwise great vehicle this is a pissoff. In a part of the country where it is not unknown to have snow present for 6+ months of the year this can be unsafe.

·
Registered
139 Posts
OK so someone said they'd found a setting to moderate the CMBS response, then someone else said "that's only for CC". Then Gator4ever said she'd look to "turn down the sensitivity" or just turn it off.

So are there, or are there not, any adjustments that can be made other than to turn CMBS off entirely?

·
Registered
184 Posts
The sensitivity adjustment is for ACC. The behavior you’re trying to avoid is somewhat the same, as the car can abruptly slow down when ACC is engaged and the car suddenly detects what it perceives as a slow-moving vehicle or other obstacle in front of it. You won’t get a flashing “BRAKE” warning in those situations.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes all these months later my opinion is still bad of that system on the Passport. It triggers frequently off of signs, bushes, oncoming traffic, roundabouts, cars turning, normal car spacing in urban areas. My habit is to turn it off unless I am on the interstate going somewhere. It is way too sensitive and distracting, and it has falsely braked on me twice, once hard when a car was turning ahead with adequate clearance.

No, its flaws are not related to aggressive driving- any brand of car with similar system will trigger in those cases where there is actually a danger. The Honda sensing triggers on all kinds of things it shouldn't. Honda makes some really nice driving vehicles that are lately pretty comfortable, but their electronics implementation always seem half baked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've experienced the same event. I'll be driving along and the word BRAKE appears in the driver's information panel for seemingly no reason. Can't figure out whats activating it. I'm not that close to another vehicle.
I have had the brake light go on as well on same road I drive on often. Dealer said that the bend or curve could cause car to sense on coming traffic to be a bit close.
I hope it never actually brakes and causes a rear end collision.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I find it interesting that the underlying theme in this thread is aggressive driving.
In my cases yesterday the "BRAKE" warning came on the screen and the PP braked hard (three times) as I was driving north on a two-lane road. There was a high wind and light snow/rain but no one close to me, nor in my lane, but traffic was approaching. I was driving at the speed limit at the time.

While it may be a greater risk in "aggressive" driving this system clearly is overly sensitive or poorly calibrated. The unnecessary braking for threats that don't exist may end up causing one of us to be rear ended. If this happened on an expressway the ensuring chain reaction could be quite a mess (read dangerous).

My nickel, 5 cents (we don't have pennies any longer).

Mike D

41 - 52 of 52 Posts