Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have a polisher, but it doesn't get in the tight spots.
I'd need one of these $630 to do the prep correctly.
I'm sticking with my $30 that lasts 10 months.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
315 Posts
Also had ceramic coating applied to my Passport. Had the detailer do the paint correction then apply Modesta coating. Debated doing a clear wrap too but was above my budget. View attachment 11193
Looks fantastic. Did you but into the Modesta maintenance ritual? I'm sure that was no inexpensive venture.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Looks fantastic. Did you but into the Modesta maintenance ritual? I'm sure that was no inexpensive venture.
What is the Modesta maintenance ritual?

·
Registered
11 Posts
@carpayments4life pretty much buy their M4Smoke, M2Blast, and M1Shot and use those for your maintenance wash :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. So more $$$$ for the detailers and Modesta. I just use the standard 2 bucket wash method (sometimes 3 depending on how dirty the car is) and a leaf blower to get the water off.

What's funny about all these coatings is that the car will look amazing once you take the car from the detailer and they'll wow you with their LED light sales tactic where they go over the car with the LED to show you all the before coating imperfections and after coating perfection but once you wash the car yourself or even run your hand over the paint, you'll end up with micro scratches no matter how careful you are.

I have a Lexus where I did the CarPro coating and honestly I'm just not sure any of these coatings justify the $2k+ price tag. Most of the people who buy these coatings are the ones who can easily afford them or have friends in the detailing business who will cut you discount.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The ceramic coating presents a glass look, but the price (almost equal to two sets of tires) is unrealistic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I disagree. With the ceramic coating you can just run your hose over it to get your car shining like a mirror. I did before and after pictures and the 2 months since I had it done really makes the car stand out. I have had several people walk up to me and ask me all kinds of questions about where I had it done and how much did it cost and so on. It’s all up to the owner of the vehicle. I take pride in taking care of my vehicles on the inside and out. A lot of people think 12 hundred bucks is a lot of money to put out for this coating. If it does last the 5 years as the warranty says I figure I will be ahead of the game in car washes that charge extra for polish.

·
Registered
530 Posts
$1,200 is only one set of tires.
I was quoted $1,800, for ceramis coating, at one place and $2,500 at another for Modesta.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I was just gonna reply the same thing. My GMC Terrain had 19 inch tires and a set was 1000 dollars installed and balance. I can’t imagine 20 inch tires for a set around 1200 bucks. If you can get 2 sets of 20 inch tires for 1200 bucks please post so I can purchase some.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
315 Posts
What is the Modesta maintenance ritual?
Yes, their after care maintenance products, Smoke, blast, shot, fire and flame.
I'm sure it's not cheap. As long as you use a quality Ph neutral specific car wash, air dry and a quality drying aid/topper with good clean microfiber towels, that coating will last. Nothing is forever and it is a sacrificial layer, however, it can be kept looking good with above said.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did it myself...took 2 hrs...one last coat not a scam...I do use their soap ,but water and a careful wipe does work to get sap pollen off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I'm glad I got the coating as it makes washing the car and maintaining the car a breeze. My Lexus was coated with CarPro Ceramic back in 2015 and this is what it looks like today. But it's just hard to justify the cost unless you can get it done at a discount. I paid roughly $1800 for a 1-step paint correction, full front film protection and CarPro Ceramic Coating for the Lexus and about $1500 for a 1-step paint correction and Modesta coating for the entire Passport including wheels. So definitely got mine done on the lower end of the price scale.

Re: warranty, I'm not exactly sure how you would go about claiming a warranty replacement or redo on a paint coating. Just looking at these warranty conditions Warranty |, I can't see it being easy to get replacement service done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Almost 6 years and the car looks like it just came off the assembly line. Did they only offer the 3 year deal at the time or did they have the 5 year at that time. I know it’s a expensive product as my guy had just got done with a Mercedes that was in the garage ahead of mine. I just bought my passport back to my dealer to pick up some paperwork and he noticed it in a second! He asked me if I had put the ceramic coating on it and told him that was the first thing I did with the vehicle. He was really impressed with the way the Passport came out. I told him Honda should offer this coating before you pick up your new Passport at a discounted price of coarse.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
315 Posts
It's the prep and labor that is a big chunk of the price, not to mention the install of PPF, that is an art when done well. Noting automotive is cheap these days, especially coatings, the industry is on fire. I like the fact that you touch the vehicle less after a coating install. Of course you need to use quality products and tools to maintain but, micro marring is kept to a minimum. I personally enjoy it and love the results, as do my clients.

Reactions: George.conley
21 - 39 of 39 Posts