Honda Passport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I got it right when I bought the vehicle and got it for $500 installed, that might sound a little steep, as the CD player goes for about $300 (as I recall) but there is a huge panel that needs to also be swapped out, which is extra (I think) and it is a lot of work, so I was just happy to get it.

Remember: any Honda accessories you buy during the initial purchase of your PP, fall under the original 3-year warranty, whereas anything you add later gets a 90-day warranty...

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
476 Posts
Remember: any Honda accessories you buy during the initial purchase of your PP, fall under the original 3-year warranty, whereas anything you add later gets a 90-day warranty...
90-days, plus bonus 275 days ;)

Per Honda website:
Genuine Honda Accessories
Genuine Honda Accessories installed at the time of new car purchase, Limited Warranty coverage extends for three years/36,000 miles, whichever comes first. If an accessory is installed by a dealer after the time of initial sale, it is covered for one year/12,000 miles, whichever comes first, or for the time remaining in the New Car Limited Warranty, whichever is greater. Honda accessories not installed by a Honda dealer are covered for one year from the date of purchase.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I went the USB route, but my question here is, does the CD have a memory like some other Honda vehicles or is it just a Acura thing, where as the CD player automatically saves it, I think up to 1000 song or CD capacity, and finally, couldn’t one buy a compact disc player and just plug it in when you want to listen to a CD....???
Anyway,
Good luck and enjoy.....
Blue

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
450 Posts
I still remember taking the radio out of my 98 Passport so I could unplug the CD player and plug in a little box that gave me an AUX port instead.

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
476 Posts
. . . . and finally, couldn’t one buy a compact disc player and just plug it in when you want to listen to a CD....???
Anyway,
Good luck and enjoy.....
Blue
Confirmed that it works! 3.5 cable, plug it into aux. port, and 2-AA batteries, and good to go!!

·
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
You might be able to do it, if the charging pad was disabled...(not sure)..

·
Registered
2019 Honda PassPort Touring AWD, silver, hitch, running boards
9 Posts
I knew I would be using Android Auto with Waze a lot. My phone would charge while connected. Maybe it wouldn't not charge as fast as the charging pad but that's not a problem. I've also have a charger at home that only works when I remove the case. So I decided to include the CD player with my initial purchase instead. I just put in a CD with the music I want to hear and don't have to drive and search on the console at the same time for the right CD. It works for me.

·
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I knew I would be using Android Auto with Waze a lot. My phone would charge while connected. Maybe it wouldn't not charge as fast as the charging pad but that's not a problem. I've also have a charger at home that only works when I remove the case. So I decided to include the CD player with my initial purchase instead. I just put in a CD with the music I want to hear and don't have to drive and search on the console at the same time for the right CD. It works for me.
Welcome to the Forum, and I agree, I am very much into my music and the CD player is a crucial part of the equation and I'm not interested in a work-around.

Now, What PP Model do you have and are you going to upgrade your speakers?

·
Registered
2019 Honda PassPort Touring AWD, silver, hitch, running boards
9 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, and I agree, I am very much into my music and the CD player is a crucial part of the equation and I'm not interested in a work-around.

Now, What PP Model do you have and are you going to upgrade your speakers?
I have the 2019 Touring AWD with hitch, running boards and the bars for future roof box. I don't see the need to upgrade my speakers or anything else yet.

·
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I have the 2019 Touring AWD with hitch, running boards and the bars for future roof box. I don't see the need to upgrade my speakers or anything else yet.
Ok, sounds great!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use a USB stick, it has every CD I own on it! No CD's cluttering up the car. This is one Switch I was happy to make. The other nice option is you can always get a larger USB stick the capacity is going up and the price is dropping...
I have a question? Have you had any issues with the thumb drive having to " Initialize" every time you start you vehicle? Sometimes it can take 5 minutes or so. Never had any issues with my 2019 CRV. Had it checked at the dealership and they said everything was fine. They said it was the way my thumbdrive was setup?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I went the USB route, but my question here is, does the CD have a memory like some other Honda vehicles or is it just a Acura thing, where as the CD player automatically saves it, I think up to 1000 song or CD capacity, and finally, couldn’t one buy a compact disc player and just plug it in when you want to listen to a CD....???
Anyway,
Good luck and enjoy.....
Blue
No, when I was looking I asked about that as my old Pilot had that feature. Car manufactures were forced to remove it for "pirating reasons. The issue according to the music industry was Honda was providing the mechanism for people to pirate music by copying it. With a USB you have to already have the music ripped to put in on a usb. Honda is not involved in the copying of the music that way.

Sounds crazy, but Honda and the other vehicle manufacturers are a known entity that the music industry could go after. You and I are not.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looks like the optional CD player excludes the Elite. CD Player. I still play cd's as dj'ing is my main hobby. Making mixes to cd and being able to cue to each track with track ID is something I'm going to miss not having an Alpine head unit and cd player. I'm still deciding if I want to use WAV or AAC files and update my iphone with those instead of the mp3's. My experience with both mp3 (the worst) and AAC files is track searching is extremely slow. For now my workaround would be to encode each track lossless with track ID and sync my iphone with them.

·
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Looks like the optional CD player excludes the Elite. CD Player. I still play cd's as dj'ing is my main hobby. Making mixes to cd and being able to cue to each track with track ID is something I'm going to miss not having an Alpine head unit and cd player. I'm still deciding if I want to use WAV or AAC files and update my iphone with those instead of the mp3's. My experience with both mp3 (the worst) and AAC files is track searching is extremely slow. For now my workaround would be to encode each track lossless with track ID and sync my iphone with them.
Cool, so you get where I coming from, I probably have a couple thousand CD's and download new music all the time (into iTunes) then make and burn Playlists to blanks CD's (that cost 0.25 cents), all the time and with Mp3's I can make 9 hours long CD's! For my better (sounding) stuff I use WAV files or the original CD. But be warned the Honda CD Player does NOT read the encoded file information for standard CD's, so it you want to see song titles, you need to load & burn in iTunes (or comparable program).

Being able to add the Factory CD player was the main reason I opted for the Touring over the Elite. And any Elite owner should be able to add the Touring CD & Mounting package, if they are will to give up the Charging Pad (which I hear works half-ass anyway)!

I will leave more stereo talk on your New Member post...

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cool, so you get where I coming from, I probably have a couple thousand CD's and download new music all the time (into iTunes) then make and burn Playlists to blanks CD's (that cost 0.25 cents), all the time and with Mp3's I can make 9 hours long CD's! For my better (sounding) stuff I use WAV files or the original CD. But be warned the Honda CD Player does NOT read the encoded file information for standard CD's, so it you want to see song titles, you need to load & burn in iTunes (or comparable program).

Being able to add the Factory CD player was the main reason I opted for the Touring over the Elite. And any Elite owner should be able to add the Touring CD & Mounting package, if they are will to give up the Charging Pad (which I hear works half-ass anyway)!

I will leave more stereo talk on your New Member post...

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
I don't make mp3 cd's for long music playbacks. It's specific to my mixes where mp3's are lossless and will always skip between tracks. Making cd's of my mixes allows me to burn the wav files and using Roxio Music creator lets me add the music tags which Alpine head units read. I just got a hefty quote for my stereo upgrade and I think I'll be going with using my wav files on my iphone and plugging it into usb input for playback. It's the easiest transition.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2012 Pilot had the music Hard Drive to record the CD's that were played. I have an extensive collection of CD's and miss not having the CD player to play and record them in my PP. The dealer suggested I get an iPod and record the CD's to it and plug that into the PP for my personal music selections. I guess that's my only choice. Suggestions?
I just had a CD player installed on my 2020 Passport yesterday. It's listed on the accessories sheet. It's a single disc player wih no hard drive. I too miss that feature from my 2013 Pilot. The CD player is still worth it for those that have a bunch of CDs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I saw a CD player is listed as an option, being old-school (and owning upwards of 2k CD's) I'm seriously considering adding it as an option.

Any ideas on where it would be located??

Thanks
It's located right below the heating and cooling controls. On my 2020 Pssspirt it had an open slot there, now it's filled. There is a picture of it installed on the accessories catalog at the dealer. Might be able to find a pic on line? List was $460, I got a 10% coupon with my 1 year anniversary congratulatory email. The dealer initially wanted to charge me an additional $160 for an internal bracket plate. I pushed back with the accessories sheet listed it for $460 installed. They honored it and gave me 10% off as well. I'm happy.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts