Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport AWD Touring
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent trip through the car wash my rear wiper got ripped off about half way through the wash. The Car Wash manager was good about ordering and installing a replacement and no other damage was done.

I’ve been through this same wash about three times with the Passport before without any problem and was just curious if anyone else has had trouble with full service car washes? I also think that on a trip through the wash it might have scraped my wheels and given them a little rash. Maybe I should stick to the Touchless washes. I live in Wisconsin so I can expect a lot of salt and other grime this winter and want to make sure I can get it cleaned off regularly. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite White
54 Posts
I always stay away from full service washes because they seem to always cause issues like this. Laserwash is the way to go if you have no way of washing at home. These washes use harsh chemicals to be able to remove most of the dirt on your car, so keep in mind that it is most likely stripping the wax off of your car. If you can, try to get a hand wash in at least once or twice during the winter so you can throw a coat of wax on.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
155 Posts
On a recent trip through the car wash my rear wiper got ripped off about half way through the wash. The Car Wash manager was good about ordering and installing a replacement and no other damage was done.

I’ve been through this same wash about three times with the Passport before without any problem and was just curious if anyone else has had trouble with full service car washes? I also think that on a trip through the wash it might have scraped my wheels and given them a little rash. Maybe I should stick to the Touchless washes. I live in Wisconsin so I can expect a lot of salt and other grime this winter and want to make sure I can get it cleaned off regularly. Any thoughts? View attachment 8218
On a good note it appears it didn't do any body damage. That wiper arm shouldn't be too difficult to replace. I had a buddy that was a fleet repair guy for a rental company and told me how their car washer at the airport would eat rear wipers arm all the time. I use a Costco pressure washer to knock off the dirt during the winter time, it only take 10 mins and because it's NOT a commercial/high powered you don't have to worry damaging anything. Only one time in 5 years I got too close to the sticky wheel weights and knocked them off. Costco rebalanced it for free and I didn't even purchase the tires from them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The car washes have an urethane cover on the rails, so most likely the damage to your wheels was not from there, unless the urathane was gone. But, it looks like it hit a concrete curb.
I have been using car washes for years and that has never happened to me, I’ve been lucky so far, I guess!
The problem I have with touchless washes is that if the dirt is stuck on the surface, it will not clean it well.

·
Registered
2020 Passport EX-L Modern Steel Metallic
27 Posts
Mike's Car Wash here {near Dayton Ohio} has settings that they use when they see if your wiper blade is mounted from right to left like the Passport. They also will apply a back wiper "condom" if you request one each time you want a wash. It gets blown off by the blowers near the end of the wash. I was concerned when the 1st time I took my baby through their wash and the wiper was standing away from the window as I exited so I looked into other options and learned these things and it seems to be okay now. I will never go through again without the condom though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
STAY AWAY from automated car washes that use brushes. Not only can you get damage like the original poster, but think about this: 10 minutes before you came to the car wash, Cletus brought his shit bucket 2003 Ford F150 through it covered in mud. All the dirt and grime that the dangling rags and brushes took off his truck is now being ground into your paint.

Do you have a car that you've put through the automatic wash for a few years? Look at the paint in sunlight- you're going to see it covered in swirling micro-scratches, all over it. That's from the dirty rags and brushes at the car wash.

Wash it at home, or go to a touchless (spray only) car wash.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My Honda dealer has an automatic car wash to clean all their vehicles including luxury brands. Though I doubt a McLaren or Ferrari would ever go through it, I see Mercedes and BMW all the time. This happens when the car wash doesn't do a good job maintaining their system, not necessarily a problem with brushes or synthetic cloth scrubbers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dirty brushes in an automatic car wash can cause scratches on your car, especially if they hold dirt or rocks from earlier car washes. Wayward debris could end up scratching your car without you knowing it. Some parts of your car can also get damaged, including the antenna — if there are any — or the wheels. The benefits of using a dishwasher primarily have to do with the added convenience of not having to hand wash dishes. If you are busy or have a large household, a dishwasher will save you the time and effort of having to wash your dishes manually. Dishwashers can also clean more efficiently and are more hygienic.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
230 Posts
My Honda dealer has an automatic car wash to clean all their vehicles including luxury brands. Though I doubt a McLaren or Ferrari would ever go through it, I see Mercedes and BMW all the time. This happens when the car wash doesn't do a good job maintaining their system, not necessarily a problem with brushes or synthetic cloth scrubbers.
I beg to differ, touch one of those soft brushes, they ain't as soft as you all are led to believe. Pair that w/ the reclaimed/recycled, "filtered" water & you got yourself a micro marring soup recipe. They aren't perfect, they do serve a purpose to those who cannot, choose not to or just do not have any other means. The result in that choice to use them results in micro marring unfortunately. It's the evil price of convenience or lack of other means.

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
53 Posts
[
The car washes have an urethane cover on the rails, so most likely the damage to your wheels was not from there, unless the urathane was gone. But, it looks like it hit a concrete curb.
I have been using car washes for years and that has never happened to me, I’ve been lucky so far, I guess!
The problem I have with touchless washes is that if the dirt is stuck on the surface, it will not clean it well.
I use Mike's Carwash here and have never had an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts