Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2022 Trailsport
219 Posts
My son was having an allergic reaction, I forgot his epi pen, and had pulled into the ER parking lot on the way home. Gave him Benadryl as we have a few times which usually works, it worked, so we headed out, but still needed to get him home to settle down, and then boom, it cut out dead soon as I got to hospital exit.
Good lord! Hell with the vehicle!! This is good news at the end of it all with your loved one being ok. Poor fella, I can relate 100%.

As far as the vehicle, all older and modern vehicle batteries start going dead as soon as the key is shut off. The parasitic draws and electronics on the modern vehicles taxes the batteries. I see thread after thread across various forums blaming either cheap batteries or the auto shutoff-start /stop.

I have given my solution here in the forum threads numerous times to prevent what happened to you. For years I have had pigtails and battery tenders hooked up to my batteries whenever my vehicles set more than a day. I typically get 5-8 years or more out of a battery.

The Passport (as do all modern vehicles) uses a crazy amount of energy through the battery. The electronics and components such as the electric steering tax the charging system.

Every time I rotate my Trailsport into the garage and plug it in it's under 75% (according to the NOCO indicator). When it sets in the driveway for more than 24hrs not hooked up the start stop does not even work. For short trips around town I get the error msg on dash cluster.

When I pull it out of the garage after battery is topped off the auto shut off-start/stop works immediately and seamlessly. Most of the time I shut it off for short trips around town. So far, knock on wood, I have not forgotten to shut it off. I have a meticulous routine each and every time I get behind the wheel or handlebar of any vehicle. It takes less than a minute to be ready and pull out of driveway.

I do understand that in emergency situations you expect your vehicle to be at the ready. Do yourself a favor and get into the habit of hooking it up to a maintainer.

· Registered
903 Posts
Glad to know your son is okay. With the Idle Stop feature permanently turned off your new battery should live longer than the old one.

My wife is the primary driver of our Passport but I installed the IdleStopper in it even without her asking several months ago after reading some of the painful battery experiences reported here. Batteries die all the time but it's less of an emergency if she can't start the car at home or in the parking lot of her work place but because her trip to work takes her through an industrial area, it would be an absolutely scary experience if her car refuses to start at a rail crossing or a stop sign at some lonely intersection.

By the way, I installed a trickle charger at home too despite the pain of bearing my GM loving neighbor snarkily asking every time he see the hookup cables connected to the Passport - "What range do you get from this Tesla?"

· Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
610 Posts
Your battery should be covered under warranty given it's a '21 with low mileage. Get a new battery from Honda and then install the idlestopper, that's what I did. And I'm glad to hear your son is OK!

· Registered
56 Posts
I don't get the whole trickle charging thing. I've bought or leased three new vehicles in the past eight years and they've all had autostop, An Audi Q3 followed by a Q5 and then a Land Rover. I've never had any issue with the battery needing charging. If it turns out I need to hook it up like that I won't be buying another Honda. Maybe I just haven't owned my vehicles long enough to run into any issues with the battery, or maybe there's something a bit different about the way Honda is doing things with their electrical systems vs other manufacturers. This is my first Honda, it's just a few months old now and I've always hated autostop but as far as i know (sadly) it's implemented exactly like this across the industry at the moment. Someone needs to bring legislation to allow the autostop feature to remain off.

· Registered
2021 AWD Sport Crystal Black / 2021 AWD EX-L lSteel Metallic
641 Posts
Could just be a small percentage experiencing this problem but then again honda has put out a software update to correct this.
Would be interested to find out if the one's that does not use start/stop and if they have early battery failure?
I for one refuse to use a charger on a new vehicle and i always turn off the start/stop feature.

· Registered
343 Posts
The benefit of the idle stopper is it will die when parked somewhere, not in the middle of the intersection or at a red light. So correct, it won’t extend your battery life, but will ensure it dies when parked.

· Registered
15 Posts
Could just be a small percentage experiencing this problem but then again honda has put out a software update to correct this.
Would be interested to find out if the one's that does not use start/stop and if they have early battery failure?
I for one refuse to use a charger on a new vehicle and i always turn off the start/stop feature.
Hopefully the update fixes what I theorize is the core problem; that the PCM undercharges the battery for fuel economy.

There is also a warranty extension that went out about the same time as the update went out to adjust the valves on newer rigs, but that is if you have to cycle the ignition to get it to restart. Unrelated to a failing battery. Older rigs get the valve adjustment, starter, and starter relays replaced I believe.

If you do replace the battery don't forget to do the internal resistance reset. You can do it without a scan tool, but you won't be able to check if it was successful.

· Registered
2019 Passport EX-L AWD
1 Posts
Same electrical gremlins. 2019 Passport EX-L with 56k mi. After driving 30 min to several hours on highway, stopped at the store, came back, tried to start - car goes into accessory mode and starter attempts to crank, but doesn’t start. Jump started it each time and no issues for few weeks. Happened several times with new battery. Checked resting and charging voltage at Advanced Auto. 12.66V vs 14.1V. All good and normal. 3 year old battery was exactly the same. For a piece of mind changed to DieHard Platinum in November 2022. 2 jump starts since then. No codes. I have Idle stop eliminator since car didn’t restart on intersection, will try to get latest software recalls at the dealer.

· Registered
2022 Trailsport
219 Posts
I don't get the whole trickle charging thing. I've bought or leased three new vehicles in the past eight years and they've all had autostop, An Audi Q3 followed by a Q5 and then a Land Rover. I've never had any issue with the battery needing charging.
If you have multiple vehicles and some of them set without driving you will understand. I'm taking a chance by saying this but all those vehicles you just named are not being kept for 10 years or more.....

· Registered
724 Posts
I don't get the whole trickle charging thing. I've bought or leased three new vehicles in the past eight years and they've all had autostop, An Audi Q3 followed by a Q5 and then a Land Rover. I've never had any issue with the battery needing charging. If it turns out I need to hook it up like that I won't be buying another Honda. Maybe I just haven't owned my vehicles long enough to run into any issues with the battery, or maybe there's something a bit different about the way Honda is doing things with their electrical systems vs other manufacturers. This is my first Honda, it's just a few months old now and I've always hated autostop but as far as i know (sadly) it's implemented exactly like this across the industry at the moment. Someone needs to bring legislation to allow the autostop feature to remain off.
I think a lot of these German cars have separate battery just for the start and stop system or they just have really big battery.

· Registered
2023 Passport Elite / 1993 YJ Sahara
47 Posts
Edit: Optima says this yellowtop fits the 2019 passport.

___

I wonder if a deep cycle battery like a Optima yellow top would help, too many recharge cycles on a standard battery will kill it pretty fast. Optima does not list a yellow top that fits the Passport but I was able to make one work on my YJ that they said wouldn't fit. I can run my winch, aux lights, a/c, etc.. without worrying about killing the battery.

· Registered
887 Posts
Edit: Optima says this yellowtop fits the 2019 passport.

___

I wonder if a deep cycle battery like a Optima yellow top would help, too many recharge cycles on a standard battery will kill it pretty fast. Optima does not list a yellow top that fits the Passport but I was able to make one work on my YJ that they said wouldn't fit. I can run my winch, aux lights, a/c, etc.. without worrying about killing the battery.
AGN batteries are deep cycle batteries.

· Registered
2023 Passport Elite / 1993 YJ Sahara
47 Posts
AGN batteries are deep cycle batteries.
Not all AGM batteries are deep cycle, while I don't know for sure if the OEM passport battery is or isn't, Optima makes the redtop and yellowtop, both are AGM but only the yellowtop is deep cycle.

· Registered
887 Posts
If you are looking for the longest lasting battery, I would go with either an Odessa or a Northstar battery. Both are made with 99,97% pure lead plates instead of a lead alloy that most other battery makers use. Of course you will pay for the quality.

· Registered
56 Posts
If you have multiple vehicles and some of them set without driving you will understand. I'm taking a chance by saying this but all those vehicles you just named are not being kept for 10 years or more.....
Understood, after a number of years (certainly IMO at least three years) I expect to need a new battery in the following year or two. If I'm letting the vehicle sit around day after day without driving it then I fully expect issues to crop up with a battery sooner than that. In the case of driving it as my 'daily driver' vehicle and it's not sitting around for more than a couple of days at a time (just over the weekend let's say) I'm not expecting battery issues or needing any charger to be hooked up to it. After four years (especially in this cold climate that I'm living in) quite frankly I'd just proactively replace any battery whether it seemed to need it or not.

· Registered
2022 PP Elite AWD
89 Posts
Apologies for not (thoroughly) going through this thread. Below are my experiences that may be related to this discussion:

Bought 2022 PP Elite at the end of December 2022. Drove ~1000 miles before long trip to Big Bend National Park. About 2300 miles at present. Parked the PP for about 5 days until this past Saturday.

Saturday:
Auto-Start-Stop displaying message of 'disabled because of temperature or charging.' Drove about 50 miles (mostly HWY) auto-start-stop never happened.

Sunday:
Drove about another 50 miles and towards the end of the day, the car finally successfully engaged auto-start-stop.

This morning:
Auto-Start-Stop engaged normally after engine & cabin temps reached.

I'm not sure if this 'update' has been applied to my vehicle. Is there a way to know other than asking the stealership?

From my experience, though, it sounds as if the update has been applied. Otherwise, the PP may have attempted to shut down the car without enough juice to start back up.

• Helpful
Reactions: fx_chip

· Registered
903 Posts
Apologies for not (thoroughly) going through this thread. Below are my experiences that may be related to this discussion:

Bought 2022 PP Elite at the end of December 2022. Drove ~1000 miles before long trip to Big Bend National Park. About 2300 miles at present. Parked the PP for about 5 days until this past Saturday.

Saturday:
Auto-Start-Stop displaying message of 'disabled because of temperature or charging.' Drove about 50 miles (mostly HWY) auto-start-stop never happened.

Sunday:
Drove about another 50 miles and towards the end of the day, the car finally successfully engaged auto-start-stop.

This morning:
Auto-Start-Stop engaged normally after engine & cabin temps reached.

I'm not sure if this 'update' has been applied to my vehicle. Is there a way to know other than asking the stealership?

From my experience, though, it sounds as if the update has been applied. Otherwise, the PP may have attempted to shut down the car without enough juice to start back up.
By the time the 2022 Passport was rolling off the assembly line Honda had corrected many of the issues that raised owner complaint in the 2019-2021 models. For the Start/Stop system software update, some 2022 owners like @ellisd with an earlier 2022 Passport reported getting a push notification about it but I think it's safe to assume that a late 2022 Passport has already gotten updated from the factory. Unfortunately Honda did not set up an online VIN verification system for this update so the only way to be certain your Passport got it is to visit the dealer.

· Registered
538 Posts
I have a 20 EX-L. The auto stop start rarely activates during the winter months. However, this winter has been on the mild side. I had the update done yesterday and today with a warmed up car outside temp in the high 30's F and no climate controls on, I couldn't get it to activate. Wonder if my battery is on the way out or stop start will rarely activate. I'd be fine with it rarely coming on.

· Registered
724 Posts
I have a 20 EX-L. The auto stop start rarely activates during the winter months. However, this winter has been on the mild side. I had the update done yesterday and today with a warmed up car outside temp in the high 30's F and no climate controls on, I couldn't get it to activate. Wonder if my battery is on the way out or stop start will rarely activate. I'd be fine with it rarely coming on.
I think they just changed the requirement for it to activate. You can’t have both.

· Registered
2022 PP Elite AWD
89 Posts
Not sure about the '20 model year, but in my 2022, the MID tells me why the auto-stop is not engaging.

After the car sitting for a week, the message was mostly to the tune of "getting the car to temperature or battery charging" message even if the car had been driven over 30 mins, it still didnt engage. Only after being driven over 100miles in two days did the system start working again.

• Helpful
Reactions: 14v6 and fx_chip
21 - 40 of 43 Posts