Honda Passport Forum banner

Camping Mods

17K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  robertb 
#1 ·
As requested, I will start a new thread for mods made to our passports for camping in general. For me, I recently installed a roof top tent on my passport. I use my vehicle a lot for camping in remote spots, national parks, etc. I do a lot of landscape and wildlife photography and was previously sleeping in the back of the passport when traveling. However, space was a bit limited and I wanted something more comfortable as well. So I installed a James Baroud roof top tent. I considered other tents such as roofnest and alucab.

The installation was easy and I used the Yakima timberline with core bars for the platform. So far, I've taken one 2K+ mile trip and slept in it for about 2 weeks straight. I inspected all connection points and see no sign of stress so far. MPG dropped about 1.5MPG, but that is a limited assessment.

Next will be 18'' wheels and more robust tires for added piece of mind when light off roading. Possibly a custom drawer setup in the back to provide better storage organization and some sort of cook set up. Right now I just use a cooler and plastic bins, and cookstoves best suited to backpacking.

Anyway, A few pics if you didn't see them in the other threads.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Compact sport utility vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive luggage rack
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive carrying rack
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Luxury vehicle

See less See more
#3 ·
Very nice rig.
did the ladder come with the roof tent? I need a compact ladder to reach the top when cleaning it.
being 5’ tall, has so many disadvantages.

Reactions: Werlyb23
#8 ·
Right now, since I'm able to travel so much I do leave it on full time and park it in the driveway which wasn't a concern for me. I have insurance if it gets stolen, though I don't think these things are in high demand for opportunist thieves. If I planned on not using it for over a month or so I would pull it off - with two people it is pretty easy to remove since there are only 4 brackets / 8 bolts - but two people required since it weighs 145 lbs. I have thought of a solution for how to remove by myself, but I haven't tried it yet. If you only plan to use it a few weekends a year, keep it off and install when needed (1hr max with two people).

I also considered a small camper / teardrop. There are definitely pros and cons to either solution. For now, I went with the tent for cost and ease of use including travel and setup.

#11 ·
To store it, you could run two ropes under it, put four eyelet screws in the garage ceiling, and cinch up the rope to raise it off the rails. That’s assuming your garage entry is tall enough to drive the PP in with the collapsed camper on top.

Nite Ize CamJam Rope Tightener

Or use ratcheting tie down straps.

#15 ·
The dynamic weight rating for the OEM rack is 165 lbs. The static weight rating is typically > 3x dynamic rating, which would be 495lbs. The tent weighs 145 lbs, and I don't care any other gear on top (Except sleeping bags and pillows, so add a couple lbs). As I mentioned in another thread, I consulted with a few knowledgeable people before going this route and I inspect all connection and load bearing points often. All is working fine.

#16 ·
I have ground tents and for my use this has several advantages. Set up and take down is much easier - 5 minutes max. Ground tent maybe 10 mins, but then unload bags, sleeping pads, etc...and it adds up. Also, setting up a ground tent at night, in the rain is a pain. I have even used this at a rest stop and just put the tent up for a few hours sleep.

The roof top tent gets you off the ground and away from critters - I camp in grizzly country and this provides a bit more safety.

Sleeping on 3" of memory foam in the roof top tent is also much more comfortable than a ground tent, for me at least.

So, for me....its much simpler to set up and tear down, safer, and much more comfortable.

Your needs may be different.

This post has been deleted
#17 ·
I looked at tear drops, I still like the idea of them. I wanted to avoid towing a trailer on the Passport offroad, towing it around all the time while I travel for landscape and wildlife photography - major pain for some locations I go to, the cost and then the storage when not in use. I don't tend to camp in one location for multiple days where I could set up the tear drop and leave it while I explore in the passport.

I do like the kitchen and additional storage that the tear drops provide though. But, for my use case currently it isn't for me.

#23 ·
How much does your trailer weigh? How does the PP do when towing it? Looks like you might have a
  • Weight Distribution Hitch with Sway Control?
  • If so, what brand did you select?
  • Thanks in advance for answering my questions. I am considering buying an R-Pod camper.
  • I have the OEM hitch and tranny cooler.

#25 ·
How much does your trailer weigh? How does the PP do when towing it? Looks like you might have a
  • Weight Distribution Hitch with Sway Control?
  • If so, what brand did you select?
  • Thanks in advance for answering my questions. I am considering buying an R-Pod camper.
  • I have the OEM hitch and tranny cooler.
3120 empty and I think a max of about 3900 loaded. I only towed it about 30 miles so far, going camping in a few days. It does tow very nice. The PP handles it very well. I bought the trailer used. The seller included the weight distribution hitch. It is a Fastway e2 hitch which includes sway control. The PP should tow an R-Pod easily. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.