Honda Passport Forum banner

Caliper Covers?

Tags
caliper
12K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  Moab Junky 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience with caliper covers? I cannot go with the paint option due to driving conditions. A neighbor uses MGP covers and loves them. Talked to a company to install and they said they no longer carry them because more often than not they cause a squeal. (Various brands.)

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I installed the calipercovers.com on our CRV. Can't imagine why they would cause a squeal, I've never heard one. Can't imagine why a shop would recommend against covers, unless they want to sell/install aftermarket calipers/brakes for big bucks. 10 seconds using a California Duster keeps the wheels and covers looking great.

#6 ·
There is a lot of discussion on the various car forums about caliper covers. One oft mentioned concern is that the covers could hinder the dissipation of heat thereby reducing stoping power, shortening break life and causing rotor warpage. several people have indicated that they chose caliper paint or purchased high quality after market pre painted calipers.

#7 ·
I don't like or dislike you. But then I don't even think about you.

The vinyl caliper wraps have no heat dissipation property's what so ever, but due to their thin vinyl makeup they do not particularly hold heat in either.

The expensive Aluminum covers, such as MGP's are reported to have some heat dissipation properties, however most people tend not to want to spend the money on covers such as MGP's. Just because it states it is made from aluminum that does not mean that the type of aluminum used is good at dissipating heat.

For me brakes are all about stopping, not pretty. Thats why I am a fan of EBC Brake Pads or Posi Quiet Brake Pads.

#16 ·
I brought up rotors, questioning if the poster was confusing the two.

Rotors will often show rust (overnight) whereas calipers don't. And if that's what they were referring to then caliper covers wouldn't work (to hide rusty rotors);
so I ask - which looks worse: look at me bright calipers, or subdued?

Natural works for me; YMMV.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#36 ·
I would think caliper covers would be a big mistake.
I believe they would be awesome brake dust, dirt and grime collectors.
Superb at trapping moisture from wheel washing and from Mother Nature.
A little oxygen and you have a rusty mess in short order.

I spray painted mine 8 months ago and went on with my life. They still look great.

To each his/her own.

Reactions: KYBubblehead
#39 ·
I would think caliper covers would be a big mistake.
I believe they would be awesome brake dust, dirt and grime collectors.
Superb at trapping moisture from wheel washing and from Mother Nature.
A little oxygen and you have a rusty mess in short order.

I spray painted mine 8 months ago and went on with my life. They still look great.

To each his/her own.
That is exactly what I was told too!

Reactions: Moab Junky
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.