Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious about the process and costs to purchase a Passport from a Canadian dealer and bringing it back into the US. I contacted Hamburg Honda in Niagara Falls, Ontario and received the following info. It is a verbatim copy of our email discussion. Anyone do this, and if so, how was the overall cost compared to the same vehicle purchased in the states?

Thanks for your interest. To answer your questions about what is involved. You would pay cash for the vehicle. All warranties would be canceled on the car. ( that’s the agreement Honda USA and Honda Canada have). I would not be able to plate this vehicle. I can create an ownership in your name with no plates attached. You would need to import it into the states. I have done 2 of these types of transactions. Customer never picked it up they were trucked to there state/ house. You would pay all the HST (taxes) and you can apply to get a portion back.

Now you can always check with a USA dealership on adding extended warranty to it. You might be able to still do that. But would have to ask them. They did to prevent the cross border shopping. When exchange was really high American’s would come across to buy there vehicles.

Chris Keller
Sales Manager
Hamburg Honda
(905) 357-2471
www.hamburghonda.ca

·
Registered
399 Posts
Are you saving much money? Is there something unique about a Can model?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed that the Canadian market has the black edition in the white color. If you were to get the white in the US and get all of the black trim options, it’s more expensive than getting the same vehicle in Canada. And, the Canadian version includes the wiper heaters front and back, heated wiper fluid reservoir, and some other option I can’t remember.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,897 Posts
Hey BB, since they are all built at the Alabama facility, have you tried to do a special order in the US using parts earmarked for the Canadian model?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey BB, since they are all built at the Alabama facility, have you tried to do a special order in the US using parts earmarked for the Canadian model?
That’s worth a shot. I’ll have to check with the dealer.

·
Read Only
394 Posts
Looks like it’s not really beneficial to purchase in Canada. Paying sales tax twice, plus the 2.5% duty doesn’t make sense. Oh well.
Plus the cost of bringing the vehicle up to Federal and State standards, both safety and emissions standards. That can get quite expensive.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plus the cost of bringing the vehicle up to Federal and State standards, both safety and emissions standards. That can get quite expensive.
I would think that Hondas made for the Canadian market would at least meet the federal and state requirements safety and emissions. I could be wrong. I think those two concerns are more related to older model vehicles that may not meet today’s strict standards.

·
Read Only
394 Posts
Vehicles are made for the market they are sold in. Safety and emission features cost money. Countries safety and emission standards vary widely as well. Just because we are in the US don't assume that our standards are higher than other countries. I've done it 3 times over the last few years and the cost averages around 1200-1500 dollars to get everything done to bring them into compliance.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just found this tidbit from Honda. Looks like American Honda will provide a compliance letter based on the VIN. Also, Honda Canada needs to provide a clearance that there are no outstanding recalls.

Honda - Moving a Honda from Canada to the US

What documentation do I require if I am moving to the United States and I want to take my Honda vehicle with me? Will my warranty be valid in the United States?
Usually, Canadian Honda vehicles can be taken with you when you are moving to the United States. There are exceptions based on whether a vehicle complies with State and Federal Safety Regulations for the United States. If a vehicle is eligible to be brought into the United States, you will need to obtain specific documentation to produce either at the border crossing point, and/or at the state motor vehicle licensing office at your destination, as follows:
  • You will need a recall clearance letter from Honda Canada stating that there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle. Contact the Honda Canada Customer Relations Department on our toll-free line, at 1-888-946-6329 and request a "Recall Clearance Letter". Have your 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) available when you call, as we must quote it in the letter we prepare for you. Recall Clearance Letters will only be provided for individuals who are exporting a Honda for their own personal use. Letters are not supplied for commercial exporters of used vehicles.
  • You will also need a compliance letter from American Honda to stipulate that your Canadian vehicle complies with the applicable U.S. safety and emissions requirements. You must contact American Honda at their toll-free number, 1-800-999-1009, and request a "Compliance Letter". Have your VIN ready as American Honda will require it in order to provide the letter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
the Canadian version includes the wiper heaters front and back, heated wiper fluid reservoir, and some other option I can’t remember.
I knew the Canadian version included heated windshield but didn't know it included heated wipers and reservoir.
I've added aftermarket heated wipers to mine.
Maybe you could find the Canadian part numbers for these parts and add to your US vehicle, although the heated windshield would likely not be worth the cost.
Let me know if you find the parts information.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wasn’t clear on the wipers. The Canadian version has windshield wiper de-icer. I can’t find where I found the heated windshield washer reservoir. I just checked the Canadian site for the Touring model and it’s not shown as a feature.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was curious about the process and costs to purchase a Passport from a Canadian dealer and bringing it back into the US. I contacted Hamburg Honda in Niagara Falls, Ontario and received the following info. It is a verbatim copy of our email discussion. Anyone do this, and if so, how was the overall cost compared to the same vehicle purchased in the states?

Thanks for your interest. To answer your questions about what is involved. You would pay cash for the vehicle. All warranties would be canceled on the car. ( that’s the agreement Honda USA and Honda Canada have). I would not be able to plate this vehicle. I can create an ownership in your name with no plates attached. You would need to import it into the states. I have done 2 of these types of transactions. Customer never picked it up they were trucked to there state/ house. You would pay all the HST (taxes) and you can apply to get a portion back.

Now you can always check with a USA dealership on adding extended warranty to it. You might be able to still do that. But would have to ask them. They did to prevent the cross border shopping. When exchange was really high American’s would come across to buy there vehicles.

Chris Keller
Sales Manager
Hamburg Honda
(905) 357-2471
www.hamburghonda.ca
Some like to work to work to work to have work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts