Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I had a chance to take the Passport up a pretty steep and curvy mountain road. I took the opportunity to test the torque vectoring rear dif and the V6. I didn't do anything too crazy, but did 3/4 (or so) throttle accelerations out of a series of turns, up this steep road. I was pushing it for sure, but nothing too extreme. The drive up this mountain took probably 3-5 minutes, and at the top I pulled into a parking lot. While sitting in the parking lot, I noticed a strong mechanical smell, very noticeable, and very similar to the burnt clutch smell you get from a manual transmission when you abuse the clutch. Engine temp was fine. Has anyone else noticed this when pushing it a bit on hills? I wonder if it was the ZF9 transmission, or if was the ivtm-4 rear clutch packs on the rear wheels causing the smell. I didn't get out to check if it was coming from the front or rear of the vehicle. The smell left quickly after a minute or so of light cruising. That being said, the PP performed admirably for a vehicle of its size, and was pretty fun to take on a road like that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Was this the first time that you've driven spiritedly with your passport? Or pushed it more than you usually would for a longer time?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a hill, yes. Could've been the little 245 tires under the weighty vehicle on turns. Didn't smell like tire to me, smelled like clutch, but apparently tires can smell like clutch under strain.

·
Registered
85 Posts
On a hill, yes. Could've been the little 245 tires under the weighty vehicle on turns. Didn't smell like tire to me, smelled like clutch, but apparently tires can smell like clutch under strain.
When you push any vehicle more than what's considered normal conditions (especially new) they will have a 'hot' smell. But if by chance you were also going down hill, I would guarantee that it was the brakes as brakes and clutches are both ceramic they smell exactly the same when hot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If your going up hill for you said about 3-5 mins then its normal to smell like burnt oil and tires as what ksulliva01 said, pushing a heavy vehicle like that agains gravity will force the engine oil to get burnt faster coz the parts are moving faster from heavier demand compared to running on a flat surface. The burnt smell should be gone the next day, if not then have it checked, but I'm sure its nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts