Honda Passport Forum banner

Brake system light

9K views 28 replies 5 participants last post by  Powdertrax 
#1 ·
I’ve been having the Brake System light come on my dash, then the entire dash lights up with a Adaptive CC, Road Departure Mitigation and Lane Keeping assist warning lights flashing and beeping. In the past I’ve just pulled over and shut the vehicle down which clears it, but it seems to be more frequent.

Anyone else experiencing this headache, and if so did you take in and what was the issue. Thanks ahead of time

#2 ·
If your brake fluid level is okay you might need to take your car to the dealer for an error code scan, so many separate systems have been integrated in modern cars that even a non functional brake light or a dead tpms sensor can trigger the Brake System light.

#4 ·
Ok I made an appointment to have this condition looked at, when I find out I’ll post.

One dealer I called about an appointment but it was out too far, asked how often I drive because I could need a new battery. Ive got such a bitter taste in my mouth with dealerships that I just don’t believe a thing they tell me, because the first thing I thought after the battery comment was “oh the old must be the battery“ scam, must have taken over the cabin air filter, engine air filter scams. Aren’t selling new cars so get them in the maintenance department

#5 ·
@Powdertrax ... If you have a national auto part store nearby, they will typically do a battery test for free. Call ahead to verify that the service is free and their battery tester is working. It only takes a few minutes. This may help rule out the battery. You are not obligated to purchase a replacement. If you need a replacement, be sure it is an AGM type battery. They also have a code reader if any codes exists.

#6 ·
I'm not a fan of letting anyone work on my vehicles but me. I get that not everyone's a mechanic or has the desire to diagnose or repair today's very complex vehicles.
Everything electrical on newer vehicles runs on Can Bus protocol, if the battery gets a little weak, (anything less than 12.63 volts) it tends to create some strange electrical problems. If the battery is more than 3 years old I would encourage you to replace it with a quality new battery just as preventative maintenance. A decent scan tool avaliable from Amazon can also be invaluable in diagnosing problems that can sometimes be easily fixed yourself without a trip to the dealer. Or at least you will have a better idea if the dealer if being honest or not.

#8 ·
I'm not a fan of letting anyone work on my vehicles but me. I get that not everyone's a mechanic or has the desire to diagnose or repair today's very complex vehicles.
Everything electrical on newer vehicles runs on Can Bus protocol, if the battery gets a little weak, (anything less than 12.63 volts) it tends to create some strange electrical problems. If the battery is more than 3 years old I would encourage you to replace it with a quality new battery just as preventative maintenance. A decent scan tool avaliable from Amazon can also be invaluable in diagnosing problems that can sometimes be easily fixed yourself without a trip to the dealer. Or at least you will have a better idea if the dealer if being honest or not.
Good to know, thanks for the tip.

I also try to do as much maintenance I can, I’m no auto mechanic but changing oil, filters air or oil, tranny fluid, plugs, battery, etc are easy enough to do, and I enjoy it. I won’t hesitate to do a search online to resolve issues, but I get the most joy out of studying how something works and then see where in that link the issue is and fit it. The amount of money I’ve saved myself not only on my car, but also my house by replacing the water heater, stove, fixing the igniter on the furnace etc etc is very rewarding. I also love when my daughter calls needing help or wanting something built

#13 ·
Typical dealers, two weeks ago I made a appointment to have them look at my Cruise Control warning issue. My appointment was Tuesday at 7:50 a.m. so instead of getting stuck in morning traffic I dropped my car off Monday night. The service employee said they’d need my vehicle for a couple days which I thought was odd for an obvious computer glitch. He also stated that he’d contact me letting me know what the issue was, it was now 5:30pm with no call so I decided to call and when I did the employee stated that my vehicle hasn’t even been brought into the shop yet and said it should be in the shop tomorrow, SO why the hell did I make a appointment for 7:55am if you won’t be looking at it for two days.

My lack of trust in these guys tells me the problem won’t be resolved, normally I’d take it to my mechanic, but since it’s a warranty issue I took it to Kirkland Honda

#15 ·
The drama continue, this morning I got a call from the dealer stating that my windshield camera is faulty and they ordered a new one that won’t be here til Saturday.

I wish that was where it ended but when they called this morning they told me that I should have my windshield replace due to a two foot crack. He stated that if they install the new camera and calibrate it, they would have to do it again after the windshield is replaced at a $400 charge. So now I’m waiting for a call back from the auto glass company to make an appointment to have it replaced at the dealership, who knows how much longer they’ll have my car, I’m guessing middle of next week.

More to come

#26 ·
Well it was too go to be true (expected), since picking my PP up Saturday my ACC and every other warning has showed up again, and once again the head unit states problem with ACC.
As I mentioned previously they said it was the camera so they replaced it under warrant.

Any of you have this issue and what was it ?

#27 ·
Well I took my PP to Kirkland again to fix the warning lights coming on. When I went to pick it up he said that they had to replace something on the steering wheel that controls the cruise control. The mechanic took it for a drive and the warning lights came on again, so he attached the computer to the PP and found that there was a loose wiring connection on the warranty replaced Head unit

#28 ·
I'm always happy when I read that a problem has been resolved, I also try and take notes because - just in case, however, the way your Honda dealer has gone about this fix with several items replaced in a seemingly roulette spin manner I don't know what they actually fixed to solve the problem at this point. Hoping your vehicle will now be trouble free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.