Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I have a rear brake rotor that has warped (22,700 aprox.)
Going to call a dealer as it should be covered under warranty I would guess. I have owned Honda / Acura products since 2000. They all have suffered from this, usually after warranty.

Anyone else have the dealer take care of under warranty?

Thanks

·
Registered
836 Posts
Rotors warp for many reasons. The Service Dept Mngr is quick to point them out and to call it normal wear.
Keep us updated.

Reactions: Dbp_22SG

·
Registered
842 Posts
Going to call a dealer as it should be covered under warranty I would guess. I have owned Honda / Acura products since 2000. They all have suffered from this, usually after warranty.

Thanks
I had problem with the front rotors at around 22k miles. Not actually "warped" as that term usually refers to rotors developing hot spots due to pad material transfer to the rotors resulting in a vibration felt in the pedal on braking. Usually this vibration is felt braking from around 50 mph, especially going downhill. From what I understand, usually brakes and rotors are considered wear items and are not covered under warranty. My dealer offered to turn the rotors for $100. Some dealers will turn them at no cost. I opted to just replace the rotors and pads myself with Centric parts for around $225. 8k mile on the new pads and rotors and the brakes have been great. I had not actually done any actual before and after tests, but the new setup feels to stop a lot better than the OEM parts.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Most rotors don't wrap. What happen is most new cars use organic brake pads that utilize "adhesion" braking technology for less dust and quieter operation by depositing a layer of similar material on the rotors so two surfaces bond during braking. The problem is sometimes, the layer on the rotor can be inconsistent. When that happens, you want to go though a bed in procedure to basically evenly distribute a new layer onto the rotors. To bed in, you need to accelerate to 50 mph and then hit the brake pedal hard without engaging ABS to slow down to 5mph and the speed up again and repeat the process 7-10 times. You will feel brake fade which is when you should be done. Once that happens, you drive for another 5-10 minutes to let the brakes cool down. Never allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop for more than 5 seconds during the bedding process because the brakes are very hot and they can overheat the brake fluid.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks
As many others have commented, this tends to be typical for Honda vehicles almost as a rule of thumb.
I have replaced the OEM pads and rotors with after market ones after the OEMs are at the end of life.

I recommend these guys (link below), but you can get good brand that fits your vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts