Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2019 Passport Sport popped up a service reminder A, 1, 7. I've got the oil change and tire rotation covered, and the local dealership wants $160 for a brake fluid change using BG Products. I'm sure they're quality, but I've got the tools and experience to handle changing the brake fluid with one exception. I don't know how much brake fluid this system takes and I can't seem to find that information in any publication.

I intend to order the factory correct Honda Heavy Duty DOT3 brake fluid, but I'd hate to get started and not have enough to finish the job. Has anyone out there done their own brake fluid change and able to advise me on how much fluid this brake system holds??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
With brake fluid flushes it's not so much about the 'capacity' as how much you feel like flushing through it. I don't recall Honda ever listing capacity as a spec. Obviously it's not like other fluids where you drain and refill. You're continuously replacing old fluid with new.

Are you running a pressure bleeder or a vacuum bleeder? The best option is probably the pressure bleed, it seems to keep the pedal firmer than a vacuum bleed. That may be anecdotal though.

On my own cars I use four bottles, one per caliper. Which is more than likely overkill. But that way you know you're getting almost 100% fresh fluid.

To anyone considering doing a brake flush, if you're using a vacuum bleeder pump the brake pedal until its firm again before you put the car in gear! We had a rookie at our shop who did not realize that and crashed into the shop door.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I don't have access to a pressure bleeder, just a vacuum bleeder (mityvac kit). Amazon sells the Honda brake fluid in two packs of 12oz bottles. I've ordered 4 bottles, if I don't end up using it all, a factory sealed bottle should keep on the shelf for a little while, yeah?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I work at a Honda dealer and i can confirm what Larryd said, the technicians never use more than 2 bottles to complete a flush.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I work at a Honda dealer and i can confirm what Larryd said, the technicians never use more than 2 bottles to complete a flush.
My local dealer quoted me $160 to do the fluid change, saying the price is driven by the use of BG Products. When I asked if that's what the factory fill on my brake system was, I was told "absolutely". Something tells me that's an awful lot of smoke being blown in my direction.

·
Registered
597 Posts
My local dealer quoted me $160 to do the fluid change, saying the price is driven by the use of BG Products. When I asked if that's what the factory fill on my brake system was, I was told "absolutely". Something tells me that's an awful lot of smoke being blown in my direction.
Why? The dealer is going to charge the hourly rate so there is most of the price right there. BG Dot 3 brake fluid goes for about $10 a quart.

Honda doesn't make fluids, Honda buys fluids from other manufacturers. Some are specially blended to Honda's specifications. Since the Passport is North American vehicle made in Alabama, as is the Pilot and Ridgeline, it makes sense to buy various fluids here rather than to have them shipped in from another country.

Honda has had a very long relationship with BG as does several other auto Manufacturers. At least 20 years or so. I live in the city where BG is located. One of my vehicles was used as a BG demonstration vehicle when Honda exes and engineers were here for a demonstration of their various systems.

Granted $160 is pretty high if you know how to flush and fill your brake system. If you don't know how to flush and fill your brakes then $160 is a fairly reasonable price compared to the alternative of not having brakes.

I have been using BG's synthetic brake fluid for years. It does the job every time which, when it comes to brakes, is all that really matters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why? The dealer is going to charge the hourly rate so there is most of the price right there. BG Dot 3 brake fluid goes for about $10 a quart.

Honda doesn't make fluids, Honda buys fluids from other manufacturers. Some are specially blended to Honda's specifications. Since the Passport is North American vehicle made in Alabama, as is the Pilot and Ridgeline, it makes sense to buy various fluids here rather than to have them shipped in from another country.

Honda has had a very long relationship with BG as does several other auto Manufacturers. At least 20 years or so. I live in the city where BG is located. One of my vehicles was used as a BG demonstration vehicle when Honda exes and engineers were here for a demonstration of their various systems.

Granted $160 is pretty high if you know how to flush and fill your brake system. If you don't know how to flush and fill your brakes then $160 is a fairly reasonable price compared to the alternative of not having brakes.

I have been using BG's synthetic brake fluid for years. It does the job every time which, when it comes to brakes, is all that really matters.
The smoke was in reference to BG products being the factory fill, not the price of the service. Same shop quoted $120 for an oil change and tire rotation too. If Honda has specified their own Honda branded Heavy Duty DOT 3 brake fluid, why would they use something else as their factory fill?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The smoke was in reference to BG products being the factory fill, not the price of the service. Same shop quoted $120 for an oil change and tire rotation too. If Honda has specified their own Honda branded Heavy Duty DOT 3 brake fluid, why would they use something else as their factory fill?
Yeah i cant say %100 what they use in factory but considered the owners manual says not to use anything but the Honda DOT 3 fluid i highly doubt they use anything else. Just for reference, at my dealership we charge $120 an hour as our shop rate and a brake fluid flush is 0.7 of an hour or $84 plus two bottles of fluid which are $10 each. So after tax your at less than $120 CAD so yes i would say they're ripping you off a bit.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Maybe for the same reason Denso is the go to radiator replacement, especially for the older generation Pilots & Ridgeline. The Denso radiator IS the OEM Honda radiator. They are a few dollars cheaper than if you buy one that comes in a Honda OEM marked box.

Keep in mind this is the first REAL Honda Passport. Peoples knowledge of what is actually used in them is not as abundant as some of Honda's other models. The earlier Passports of years ago was made for Honda by Isuzu. They were just rebranded Rodeo's.

Who knows, right now Honda and Toyota vehicles are the Toilet Paper of 18 months ago. Honda bottled fluids may be in the same boat. Had to drive across town a little while ago. The Ford and Chevy dealership had lots covered with vehicles for sale. The Honda and Toyota dealerships that are across the highway had their cars scattered out every two or three spaces to make the lots look somewhat full.

A search of Pilot and Ridgeline forums will have a plethora of threads on fluids and the use of 3rd party fluids over OEM. Just don't start a thread about the value Valvoline Max Life ATF fluid over Honda fluid. If you do it will go on for days!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep in mind this is the first REAL Honda Passport. Peoples knowledge of what is actually used in them is not as abundant as some of Honda's other models. The earlier Passports of years ago was made for Honda by Isuzu. They were just rebranded Rodeo's.
Given the plethora of parts on the Passport that are 100% identical to those on the Pilot, I'm not sure that they're much different than rebadged Pilots with the third row of seats deleted.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Given the plethora of parts on the Passport that are 100% identical to those on the Pilot, I'm not sure that they're much different than rebadged Pilots with the third row of seats deleted.
Well except for those 10" they cut off the back and the suspension including the tuning, the Passport is the Pilots younger, sexier brother. If it only had those 10" back we could easily carry full size spares as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well except for those 10" they cut off the back and the suspension including the tuning, the Passport is the Pilots younger, sexier brother. If it only had those 10" back we could easily carry full size spares as well.
Now that I have a Passport, when I see Pilots driving around they just look bloated! Too low off the ground, too much overhang on the rear. Really happy with my choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts