Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard a few ideas and seen a few posts regarding organizing storage in the PP. I think this solution is pretty great and super cost effective. I hope it helps you not only secure your items but it looks really clean (fit and finish is very important to me)

Costco sells Insta-Crates for $6.00 a piece! These are phenomenal storage solutions that I found fit perfectly side by side in our rear storage area. These crates are super sturdy and durable but-just as important collapse to 2 inches in height and are stackable. In the picture attached you will see I have two crates side by side length wise, and extras collapsed underneath them If I need more storage. As most of us know, that have the PP OEM cargo mats, boxes sliding around can be a problem. I have simply tethered the boxes using a short cord and it works perfectly.

If you can’t find Insta-Crates by Greenmade at Costco, just google it and you’ll find them.

Hope this helps keep your storage space organized and looking good.

Tats
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Trunk Sport utility vehicle

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,218 Posts
I was at Costco on Wed and saw these from afar, but those look like a great idea to me!

Reactions: Tats

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite, Obsidian Blue Pearl
75 Posts
This is what I do (same crates quantity & brand) but without the tether. I find the slightly sticky rear mat keeps them pretty much in place, unless I'm channeling my inner Mario...

Reactions: Tats

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I do (same crates quantity & brand) but without the tether. I find the slightly sticky rear mat keeps them pretty much in place, unless I'm channeling my inner Mario...
That's great to hear. Cannot beat the function and fit for the price. Mine where sliding all over the place. I may stick a small piece of velcro to hold them in place but so far the shock cord is working well and not in the way.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
450 Posts
Will the folded ones fit in the hidden compartment?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Will the folded ones fit in the hidden compartment?
Nope. Folded size is 14 x 21 x 3 inches. Opened size is 14 x 21 x 12-high
Bought a pair due to Tats pics and recommendation, and now my girl prefers them for holding groceries after shopping (vs the net across the back of cargo area).
And easier to simply carry groceries in using these crates, too.

Only thing I will alter is some type of anti-skid 'pads' to install on bottom of crate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Panda I’m glad to hear you got them. Let me know what you use to keep them from sliding as opposed to using a tether cord.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sliding solution I have installed . . . and so far works very well with these crates, as long as you have a cargo mat in place.

• Cut some 1/2-in plywood rectangles for tight fit into four of the corner recesses in the bottom of the crate.
  • Drilled hole in plywood for insertion of rare earth magnets, one per piece of plywood.
  • Pressed magnets into hole, then dab of hot glue on back of plywood inserts and put one in each corner of crate.
  • Had some pieces of 28-gauge painted roof flashing, layed them down sandwiched between the cargo mat and the cargo carpet, in the general location of the corners of the cargo crates.
  • Put crates on top of cargo mat. These larger rare earth magnets are strong enough to magnetically 'grab' the sheet metal, through the cargo mat.
  • Have been driving around for a few days with these in place, and so far absolutely no sliding of the crates. Had groceries in them, held very securely.
  • I was concerned that it could cause cargo mat to shift location, but the velcro strips I installed months ago are still hold mat in place very well.

Now I would not trust this solution to hold a loose rolling around 15-lb watemelon, as crate would likely either slide or tip over. But so far, for us, (y)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Laundry basket and soft bungee cord.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sliding solution I have installed . . . and so far works very well with these crates, as long as you have a cargo mat in place.

• Cut some 1/2-in plywood rectangles for tight fit into four of the corner recesses in the bottom of the crate.
  • Drilled hole in plywood for insertion of rare earth magnets, one per piece of plywood.
  • Pressed magnets into hole, then dab of hot glue on back of plywood inserts and put one in each corner of crate.
  • Had some pieces of 28-gauge painted roof flashing, layed them down sandwiched between the cargo mat and the cargo carpet, in the general location of the corners of the cargo crates.
  • Put crates on top of cargo mat. These larger rare earth magnets are strong enough to magnetically 'grab' the sheet metal, through the cargo mat.
  • Have been driving around for a few days with these in place, and so far absolutely no sliding of the crates. Had groceries in them, held very securely.
  • I was concerned that it could cause cargo mat to shift location, but the velcro strips I installed months ago are still hold mat in place very well.
View attachment 7559

View attachment 7560

Now I would not trust this solution to hold a loose rolling around 15-lb watemelon, as crate would likely either slide or tip over. But so far, for us, (y)
This is brilliant, well done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts