Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2022 Passport AWD
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2022 EX-L AWD and have been getting the messages that the Idle Stop is warming up or charging and the Anti Theft System has lost power...
I'm now regularly turning off the Idle Stop, but I think my battery may already be depleted a bit. No matter how long a drive, the charge only goes to about 12.2 volts. I've always thought you should expect closer to 12.8.
I'm going to try to revive it with the newly purchased NOCO Genius 10, but would appreciate recommendations on a good AGM replacement. Maybe a combination starter/deep cycle? I've seen good reviews on the X2Power batteries - but appreciate input on what others have found to work.
Oh, why don't auto parts stores show data for replacement batteries for the '22 Passport? All of the local stores said Sorry...no can help ¯\(ツ)

· Registered
2019 Passport Elite
883 Posts
First, have your battery checked with a battery tester at your nearby national auto part store. It is a free service.

If you do need a new battery, see this thread for prior year battery spec (aka, size 48 or H6). Check the label on your battery for size and battery spec. They are probably the same? There are not a lot of options for AGM batteries, despite the various brands. Only a small handful of manufacturers produce the various brands. For a premium deep cycle battery with a premium price, check out Optima (not an exact OEM fit).

· Registered
2021 Passport Elite
552 Posts
First, have your battery checked with a battery tester at your nearby national auto part store. It is a free service.

If you do need a new battery, see this thread for prior year battery spec (aka, size 48 or H6). Check the label on your battery for size and battery spec. They are probably the same? There are not a lot of options for AGM batteries, despite the various brands. Only a small handful of manufacturers produce the various brands. For a premium deep cycle battery with a premium price, check out Optima (not an exact OEM fit).
Optima now makes a replacement battery for the Passport it is around $339

· Registered
2021 Passport Elite
552 Posts
I've heard Optima is no longer a good battery option since they shifted production to Mexico. Overpriced crap nowadays apparently. No better than any option you can get at your local auto parts store.
Jon Tuico that makes all those overlanding videos uses one. That’s how I found out they make a replacement for the Passport.

· Registered
2022 Passport AWD
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard Optima is no longer a good battery option since they shifted production to Mexico. Overpriced crap nowadays apparently. No better than any option you can get at your local auto parts store.
I read the same regarding Optima's batteries a few years ago. I opted for an X2Power AGM starter/deep cycle for my Tacoma and it performed well. I'm hoping they make one to fit the Passport if and when that time comes.

· Registered
139 Posts

· Registered
453 Posts
My family has been using Optima batteries for years. It is one of, if not the best consumer battery manufacturer in the world. Of the millions sold and used in the world, the very few that fail get complained about the most.

Battery manufacturing has come a long way in terms of quality and longevity. And this is across the board with all major battery brands. The issues arise when the end user does not realize that modern vehicles have double to quadruple and beyond electrical demands.

The battery gets the blame when it dies prematurely. All that's required is to hook up a battery maintainer when vehicle is parked. You will then see a consistent normal 5-8 year life out of them.

Reactions: jppelec

· Registered
453 Posts
Another solid choice for those of us on a budget is the Deka 9A48 AGM Intimidator Battery.

I personally use this brand in my own vehicle in a dual battery setup. It is one of the only AGM's manufactured to be used as both a starting and cycling battery. What this means is it can be discharged and charged many many times without damage to the cells.

And the price is right at under 300.00.

Reactions: kgilbertsen_1

· Registered
2019 Passport Elite
883 Posts
Are they going to want to remove the cowling to access the negative terminal to do the testing? Or will they be able to get it done using a good ground?
I do not know. The cowl unsnaps easily (pull straightup) and snaps back on easily (push down after locating the dowels). If you are concerned, removed the cowl before you go to the store? There is also a bolt that holds the air box down on the left side that could be used as a ground.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

· Registered
453 Posts
For accurate battery testing you have to connect both positive and negative leads directly to battery.

Reactions: kgilbertsen_1

· Registered
2022 Passport AWD
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For accurate battery testing you have to connect both positive and negative leads directly to battery.
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought might be required, thanks. I tested voltage and it is sitting at 11.96. I then checked my wife's Forester, and it's pretty much the same, right around 11.94. That's not good...

· Registered
2021 Passport Elite
552 Posts
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought might be required, thanks. I tested voltage and it is sitting at 11.96. I then checked my wife's Forester, and it's pretty much the same, right around 11.94. That's not good...
If you have access to electricity purchase a Battery charger that “desulfates” the battery. My cars don’t get driven much because I am always in my work truck and I was always replacing batteries. About 6 years ago I purchased a “Battery Minder” trickle charger, that desulfates and it greatly extends the life of the batteries. The one I have also works with the AGM batteries in the Passport. I paid around $50 for mine, but there are many different kinds and prices.

· Registered
2022 Passport AWD
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you have access to electricity purchase a Battery charger that “desulfates” the battery. My cars don’t get driven much because I am always in my work truck and I was always replacing batteries. About 6 years ago I purchased a “Battery Minder” trickle charger, that desulfates and it greatly extends the life of the batteries. The one I have also works with the AGM batteries in the Passport. I paid around $50 for mine, but there are many different kinds and prices.
I just bought a NOCO Genius10 for that reason. It'd be nice to see it be able to bring this battery back up to where it should be performance-wise.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts