Honda Passport Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Does it try to crank at least when you attempted to jump it? Do you get a click or anything? Does the power at least come on and engine try to turn over, or just flat out nothing?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Last night I had a wedding a hour away and when I got in my Passport it was dead. Tried to jumpstart and still nothing. Anybody have any Idea what this could be? Only 15 months old and wondering if the battery is dead will it still start the car if it is being jumped. Honda assistance was a joke and said they could get me a tow in 4-6 hours and I had to stay with the car.
The battery starting/charging system is one of the few achilles heels of the Passport, this forum is full of experiences similar to yours, searching for "battery" returns almost 500 results and the NHTSA is also investigating the Idle stop system that many believe could be responsible for wearing down the battery. I suggest you do the following:

1. Get your battery tested by the dealer.
2. If the battery is weak the dealer should replace under warranty.
3. Permanently disable the Idle stop system.
4. If you don't drive your Passport frequently attach the battery to a trickle charger.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I do not use stop and start function. I always hit the button shut off before I drive. Even if the battery was weak I drove it a hour wouldn’t the alternator charge the battery. I drive the SUV every day.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I do not use stop and start function. I always hit the button shut off before I drive. Even if the battery was weak I drove it a hour wouldn’t the alternator charge the battery. I drive the SUV every day.
The bug also covers the alternator hence why I said "Battery starting/charging system" in my initial comment. The link below has a forum moderator sharing his experience about his car not starting even after he just drove it for about 82 miles, he had to jump start it but surprisingly the car started fine the next day. Other members have reported a similar experience too.

·
Registered
2021 Passport Elite
484 Posts
If the battery is bad nothing can charge it. My 2021 Elite has started displaying battery problems. I don’t drive my personal vehicle to much so I usually go thru batteries prematurely.
I connected my battery to a Battery Minder that does desulfurization and it has improved the battery but when I bring to the dealership for a oil change and state inspection I am going to have them look at it and hopefully replace it while under warranty.

·
Daimyo
2021 Honda Passport Elite - Tonbo-Giri⛩️
425 Posts
Last night I had a wedding a hour away and when I got in my Passport it was dead. Tried to jumpstart and still nothing. Anybody have any Idea what this could be? Only 15 months old and wondering if the battery is dead will it still start the car if it is being jumped. Honda assistance was a joke and said they could get me a tow in 4-6 hours and I had to stay with the car.
I had a similar experience once and have never had anything else like it since:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Drove fine yesterday, went out to go to work and "nothing" nada, no lights, no display, it was dead...!

Still being under the 3-year warranty, I called Honda Care at the number on the window sticker, lady was nice and contacted a two company, who called and texted and was there inside 20 minutes, jumped the PP and I was on my way to the dealer.

Got real lucky, pulled up to the dealer and I was the second car (yeah, those reliable Honda's...), they tried to charge it, and determined it was "terminal" (a little battery humor there) and installed a new battery (free). One other interesting thing was, my Service Advisor said the original battery retailed for $200, but they gave me the upgraded ($300) battery (scored...!).

One more tid-bit: both the Tow driver and Service guy said that it could have died due to not being driven long enough. This is exactly what BMW told me , when they replaced the $500 battery in my old car. It seems that will all the electronics in these modern vehicles, some of which are active all the time, driving the car 5 miles back and forth to work and grocery stores DOES NOT properly charge the battery up to where it needs to be and operating it at a reduced change-capacity will damage it to the point of it needing to be replaced!

Anyone else have this happen (in any vehicles)?

Cheers!
I asked my dealership today for a upgraded battery and they looked at me like a dear in the headlights and said they never heard of a upgraded battery. I think you where lied too.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I asked my dealership today for a upgraded battery and they looked at me like a dear in the headlights and said they never heard of a upgraded battery. I think you where lied too.
What? Dealers never lie...(lol)

What they told me is that they did not have the same original battery in stock - that came with the vehicle, but they were replacing it with one that had more CCA or otherwise larger capacity.

I bought my 2019 Touring model, only one month after they first went on sale, so it was a very early production model. I don't think it is unreasonable to believe that the early production OEM batteries were not as robust as was needed...

·
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I know there are a number of dead battery threads, but since I started this one I thought would would add the following in here:

Received an email from Honda today about replacing the OEM batteries with the Honda replacement batteries, WHICH COME WITH A 100 MONTH WARRANTY...!

So the battery in the vehicle when I bought mine was under powered, basic and when bad fast, and while the batteries that come in our Passports only has a 36 month warranty, when it goes bad, Honda will sell you a BETTER battery with a warranty that is almost three times longer!

So I can't help wondering why Honda knowingly puts in an INFERIOR battery in the Passport (when first made), but if you come back they will sell you the BETTER one...

IS THAT WHAT HONDA CONSIDERS BEING.............."HELPFUL"

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know there are a number of dead battery threads, but since I started this one I thought would would add the following in here:

Received an email from Honda today about replacing the OEM batteries with the Honda replacement batteries, WHICH COME WITH A 100 MONTH WARRANTY...!

So the battery in the vehicle when I bought mine was under powered, basic and when bad fast, and while the batteries that come in our Passports only has a 36 month warranty, when it goes bad, Honda will sell you a BETTER battery with a warranty that is almost three times longer!

So I can't help wondering why Honda knowingly puts in an INFERIOR battery in the Passport (when first made), but if you come back they will sell you the BETTER one...

Your initial post stated " they gave me the upgraded ($300) battery (scored...!). " but it wasn't actually an upgraded battery because you had to replace it again after 16 months?? So it wasn't an upgraded one with a 100 month warranty?? Why the email :unsure:

·
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
According to my dealer the battery is warranty'd for 36 months like all the other items on a new vehicle, a battery replaced in the 35th month does not get 36 more months, it is only warrantied for 1 month.

The dealer said they did not stock my original battery and would upgrade me, (not extend my warranty), so this supposedly upgraded battery failed too, I now have a AAA Gel battery, let's see how long it lasts...

My guess is that you only get a 100 month battery warranty if you pay for it...

·
Registered
757 Posts

I've always suspected that Honda nickle and dimed the battery in the 2019/2020, we changed my wife's 2020 Touring battery to ACDelco Gold 48AGM after I started reading battery related horror stories here.

·
Registered
87 Posts
According to my dealer the battery is warranty'd for 36 months like all the other items on a new vehicle, a battery replaced in the 35th month does not get 36 more months, it is only warrantied for 1 month.

The dealer said they did not stock my original battery and would upgrade me, (not extend my warranty), so this supposedly upgraded battery failed too, I now have a AAA Gel battery, let's see how long it lasts...

My guess is that you only get a 100 month battery warranty if you pay for it...
They don't carry the "stock" battery because it's a sub par battery installed at the factory used to keep costs down. This isn't unique to Honda, all manufacturers do this.
My 2022 PP TS is still on its original battery (purchased 9/10/22), but in a year or two I'll replace it, bad or not, with a Auto Zone Duralast Gold. I do this with all my vehicles.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts