Honda Passport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

Registered
The issue is not going away, for those that do not drive a lot.
Get yourself a trickle charge that can be switched between a standard battery setting and our AGM battery setting.

Reactions: jppelec and HarveyW

Registered
Unless you are driving the vehicle around continuously for 25 miles or more, or letting it idle in your garage for 20 minutes or more, that simple act of starting the engine will use more stored battery charge than the alternator can put back in.

With your knee condition curtailing your activity significantly, your temporary solution would be:
  • trickle charger as others have suggested in this thread and other threads,
  • disconnect negative battery cable at battery, but then you would also 'loose' radio presets, etc
  • let it idle in place for 15 minutes or more (or whatever max time period remote start is preprogrammed)
  • hope your battery's condition is healthy enough to recover parasitic draw and other parasites,
  • 3-year Honda Roadside Assistance.

This is not a Honda specific problem, as owners of most other makes have expressed similar frustrations with newer model vehicles, ESPECIALLY apparent due to Covid-curtailed driving. Many articles have detailed this:
When does a car battery charge?
Your coronavirus sidelined car's battery
Don't let your car sit unused
Maintaining your sitting-car battery
Keep your unused car healthy
Car battery & covid
Looking after your car battery
Increased battery calls because nobody's driving

Batteries can be replaced, vehicles can be replaced, meniscus' can be rested and 'healed' . . .
. . . but your long term prognosis for knee, work, and happiness is more important.
Wishing you the best!!
馃惣
Ugh reminds me of My Mazda RX8 having to leave it run just to back it out of the garage because of flooding the rotor chambers with fuel...

Registered
Drove fine yesterday, went out to go to work and "nothing" nada, no lights, no display, it was dead...!

Still being under the 3-year warranty, I called Honda Care at the number on the window sticker, lady was nice and contacted a two company, who called and texted and was there inside 20 minutes, jumped the PP and I was on my way to the dealer.

Got real lucky, pulled up to the dealer and I was the second car (yeah, those reliable Honda's...), they tried to charge it, and determined it was "terminal" (a little battery humor there) and installed a new battery (free). One other interesting thing was, my Service Advisor said the original battery retailed for $200, but they gave me the upgraded ($300) battery (scored...!).

One more tid-bit: both the Tow driver and Service guy said that it could have died due to not being driven long enough. This is exactly what BMW told me , when they replaced the $500 battery in my old car. It seems that will all the electronics in these modern vehicles, some of which are active all the time, driving the car 5 miles back and forth to work and grocery stores DOES NOT properly charge the battery up to where it needs to be and operating it at a reduced change-capacity will damage it to the point of it needing to be replaced!

Anyone else have this happen (in any vehicles)?

Cheers!
Omg. Same thing just happened to me. At the dealership as I write this! Went out to my car.. DEAD. I purchased my Honda PP pre owned with only 12,000 miles on it. It now say 13, 105 miles Had it less than two weeks! Towtruck came and started and I immediately came over to dealership! Sitting and waiting wish me luck. Ps had to pay $90.00 for tow service. Said my car was not eligible for free road style assistance. Highly pissed about that. Sales rep said would try to get me reimbursed... is the warranty only good for 1st owner, anybody know? I am 2nd owner.

Registered
2021 Passport Elite
Interesting story as I got another low battery alert just a few minutes ago and I even went out and remote started it yesterday. I鈥檓 on week 2 of 4 of no driving and very little activity from a torn meniscus. I last drove it to the knee dr in Fountain Valley on 4/6, so maybe 9 miles round trip.

When you say you didn鈥檛 drive long enough, do you mean the time between drives or distance of drives?

Is this new battery supposed to be bigger and hold a longer charge? There was talks that our original battery wasn鈥檛 big enough for our vehicle which is why I continuously get a low batter alert even though it tests good.

And can you share the Honda Care number you called so I can save it in my phone? I don鈥檛 have any stickers with the number.

Get one of these. I don鈥檛 put much mileage on my personal vehicles and would have to replace the batteries every two years until I got this. It works on the AGM batteries in the Passports. Best investment I made.

Daimyo
2021 Honda Passport Elite - Tonbo-Giri鉀╋笍
I hope you don't mind me piggybacking off this thread to share my tale of the day...

So I drove from Sheboygan, WI to the south end of Milwaukee near the airport today, about 65 miles and then drove around probably at least 20 miles during lunch time. I parked my Passport at the office I was visiting and was inside from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and when I came out the battery in my Passport was low to the point that the starter wouldn't even click. Thankfully two of the guys from the office were still there and they helped me with a jumpstart.

I've had this Passport for one year and 1/2 month and it has just over 13,000 miles, this is the one and only issue that I've had with it and it really upsets me. I don't know what I may have done to contribute to the battery going nearly dead (if anything at all) and the only thing that happened during the day of note was that he received a downpour of rain for about an hour before I went out to try to start the Passport. I am hoping this is some random fluke and the problem is not happen again until I need to get a battery replacement. I need this vehicle to do my job!

Registered
2021 Passport Elite
I hope you don't mind me piggybacking off this thread to share my tale of the day...

So I drove from Sheboygan, WI to the south end of Milwaukee near the airport today, about 65 miles and then drove around probably at least 20 miles during lunch time. I parked my Passport at the office I was visiting and was inside from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and when I came out the battery in my Passport was low to the point that the starter wouldn't even click. Thankfully two of the guys from the office were still there and they helped me with a jumpstart.

I've had this Passport for one year and 1/2 month and it has just over 13,000 miles, this is the one and only issue that I've had with it and it really upsets me. I don't know what I may have done to contribute to the battery going nearly dead (if anything at all) and the only thing that happened during the day of note was that he received a downpour of rain for about an hour before I went out to try to start the Passport. I am hoping this is some random fluke and the problem is not happen again until I need to get a battery replacement. I need this vehicle to do my job!
Pick up one of these type compact booster packs. There are many different ones like this available. Easy to store and easy to use, I got one for my not mechanically inclined sister and she loves it. I hope your battery was still covered by the warranty.

Daimyo
Pick up one of these type compact booster packs. There are many different ones like this available. Easy to store and easy to use, I got one for my not mechanically inclined sister and she loves it. I hope your battery was still covered by the warranty.
Thank you, that should probably work. When we jumped the battery it literally took maybe 5 seconds of it being charged and the vehicle started right up like normal without issue. And yes the battery should be covered under the 3/36 warranty should it need to be replaced

Registered

With the battery failing right out of the blue after that much driving while the alternator is working fine I think owners can start ruling out parasitic draw as the cause of dead batteries, the OEM batteries likely have some manufacturing flaw that's making them fail at no consistent timing but below expected life span.
Considering the despair and difficulties an unexpected battery failure can cause if it happens in a situation where a jumpstart assistance is not immediately available, my wife and I have now agreed to invest in a non OEM battery with solid performance reviews. We already have a trickle charger set up but the OEM battery not holding a charge appears to be an issue if not the sole issue. A booster pack in the car is okay but that could set one up for a major disappointment if you fail to charge the pack or you leave it charging at home on the day the OEM battery fails.

Daimyo
With the battery failing right out of the blue after that much driving while the alternator is working fine I think owners can start ruling out parasitic draw as the cause of dead batteries, the OEM batteries likely have some manufacturing flaw that's making them fail at no consistent timing but below expected life span.
Considering the despair and difficulties an unexpected battery failure can cause if it happens in a situation where a jumpstart assistance is not immediately available, my wife and I have now agreed to invest in a non OEM battery with solid performance reviews. We already have a trickle charger set up but the OEM battery not holding a charge appears to be an issue if not the sole issue. A booster pack in the car is okay but that could set one up for a major disappointment if you fail to charge the pack or you leave it charging at home on the day the OEM battery fails.
FWIW the battery seemed fine the next morning and everything started right up as normal. I don't know if this is just another random fluke, somewhat like when I had the one-time cylinder 6 misfire that has not been an issue since, but I will continue to monitor.

When I worked as a service advisor at a Subaru, Toyota, and Honda dealership we saw random battery failures (or loss of charge) on a regular basis. Subaru in particular has developed a notorious reputation for putting borderline adequate batteries in their new vehicles from the factory that end up having a very short life compared to normal expectations. In fact I am of the opinion that they are in no way adequate, I had a 2018 Outback and the factory battery only lasted 1.5 years after purchase and I ended up replacing with a substantially better aftermarket battery.

Registered
FWIW the battery seemed fine the next morning and everything started right up as normal. I don't know if this is just another random fluke, somewhat like when I had the one-time cylinder 6 misfire that has not been an issue since, but I will continue to monitor.

When I worked as a service advisor at a Subaru, Toyota, and Honda dealership we saw random battery failures (or loss of charge) on a regular basis. Subaru in particular has developed a notorious reputation for putting borderline adequate batteries in their new vehicles from the factory that end up having a very short life compared to normal expectations. In fact I am of the opinion that they are in no way adequate, I had a 2018 Outback and the factory battery only lasted 1.5 years after purchase and I ended up replacing with a substantially better aftermarket battery.
We have actually never experienced any battery failure with our 2020 Touring, but my wife drives the Passport and I have discovered over time that her peace is my peace even when I'm hundreds of miles away.

Registered
I have a 2020 Touring. My total miles is 25k and I am on my third battery. The dealership replaced it again today while getting an oil change, my 3 year warranty ends Feb next year so it has not cost me anything but this seems crazy to me. My driving habits are short, to work is about 12 mins of total driving and most other days it鈥檚 15 mins max. Sure on weekends i put a few more but my wife gets 44mpg in her Rav4 hybrid so we definitely take her car as much as possible these days. From what I read above it鈥檚 my lack of long distance driving that鈥檚 killing the battery? Just worth mentioning my 2014 Honda CRV had a very similar life and that battery was only changed once in 8 years I bought it brand new. The CRV of course did not have auto idle stop could that really be the culprit?

2019 Touring: since March-2019
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I have a 2020 Touring. My total miles is 25k and I am on my third battery. The dealership replaced it again today while getting an oil change, my 3 year warranty ends Feb next year so it has not cost me anything but this seems crazy to me. My driving habits are short, to work is about 12 mins of total driving and most other days it鈥檚 15 mins max. Sure on weekends i put a few more but my wife gets 44mpg in her Rav4 hybrid so we definitely take her car as much as possible these days. From what I read above it鈥檚 my lack of long distance driving that鈥檚 killing the battery? Just worth mentioning my 2014 Honda CRV had a very similar life and that battery was only changed once in 8 years I bought it brand new. The CRV of course did not have auto idle stop could that really be the culprit?
I have a 2019 Touring with 26k miles and am also on my third battery! I also drive very short way to work.

I now believe that one needs to do longer drives to fully recharge the battery. The Passport has all kinds of electronics that are ALWAYS on. This is using battery juice to power them and short drives DO NOT charge it up to the proper level.

That is why the Trinkle Chargers mentioned above are key.

Consider that when you lock your doors and walk away ---- the system continues to monitor you coming back, so that it can unlock your door, so that is always on and always searching for your code...

Reactions: Gatorgibson

Registered
2022 EX-L FWD
The trickle chargers or maintainers are incredible. Once a month every one of our 4 vehicles spends a day or two on the charger. Doing this, I now have one vehicle with a 7 year old original manufacturer battery still kicking butt and another vehicle with an 8 year old original manufactures battery still in peak condition. The honda isn't even a few months old yet but it gets the same treatment. Prior to discovering the wonders of the battery maintainer, I was like everyone else dealing with dead batteries every year or two. I use the Noco brand of maintainers that work with both AGM and flooded cell. Less than 100 bucks and worth it. I also have a noco jump start pack another recommended must have. The pandemic taught me if you have a car problem during these crazy times nobody on earth is gonna stop and help you out. Never had to use the jump pack on a car but I'm ready if need be.

Registered
Last night I had a wedding a hour away and when I got in my Passport it was dead. Tried to jumpstart and still nothing. Anybody have any Idea what this could be? Only 15 months old and wondering if the battery is dead will it still start the car if it is being jumped. Honda assistance was a joke and said they could get me a tow in 4-6 hours and I had to stay with the car.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts