Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,945 Posts
Oh sorry to hear about your injury, best wishes on a speedy recovery!

The Honda Care number was on a little sticker on the driver side window, that I have been meaning to take off - great idea to put it in my phone, here it is.

Next, I talked to a guy at my work he he suggested getting a Solar Powered Battery Charger and I'm currently looking into those.

Yes, I drive 12 minutes to work, park and then 12 minutes home. On the weekends I may go 10 minutes to a grocery store or to grab something to eat and then back home, so the thinking is that the Passport is continually using power and these little short drives do not fully charge it back up and over the course of time, it just goes down and down and down, until it damages the battery, so that it will no longer hold a charge. So driving 20-30 minutes each way to work is a good thing, I guess...lol
Thanks. Saving it in my phone now.
A solar wouldn’t work if I’m parked in my garage or other work parking garages.
It just seems ridiculous that my battery gets a low alert after sitting for 2 weeks, sometimes less.
I’ve left my CRV for 3 months while gone for work and it was fine.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The AGM batteries in newer vehicles is one reason that I no longer make little trips if it is at all possible.

I used to go get what I needed/wanted when I wanted. Now, unless it is a real emergency, Fridays is my trip day. This Friday is take the dogs to the groomers at 7:00 am to get their quarterly baths and their monthly nail trims. While they are at the groomers I will go to the grocery store for groceries then home to put away the groceries. After that will pick up the dogs from the groomers, then to the big box DIY store for furnace filters, they allow dogs in the store, then off to the pet store for cat food, dog food and litter, with a final trip across town to pick up some stuff for the wife.

Since I changed my driving habits I don't get the low battery warning. I also make sure that once a month I take a nice hour long drive on the highway somewhere just to get out and to make sure the battery stays charged.
Lol.
This just made my day! Lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Drove fine yesterday, went out to go to work and "nothing" nada, no lights, no display, it was dead...!

Still being under the 3-year warranty, I called Honda Care at the number on the window sticker, lady was nice and contacted a two company, who called and texted and was there inside 20 minutes, jumped the PP and I was on my way to the dealer.

Got real lucky, pulled up to the dealer and I was the second car (yeah, those reliable Honda's...), they tried to charge it, and determined it was "terminal" (a little battery humor there) and installed a new battery (free). One other interesting thing was, my Service Advisor said the original battery retailed for $200, but they gave me the upgraded ($300) battery (scored...!).

One more tid-bit: both the Tow driver and Service guy said that it could have died due to not being driven long enough. This is exactly what BMW told me , when they replaced the $500 battery in my old car. It seems that will all the electronics in these modern vehicles, some of which are active all the time, driving the car 5 miles back and forth to work and grocery stores DOES NOT properly charge the battery up to where it needs to be and operating it at a reduced change-capacity will damage it to the point of it needing to be replaced!

Anyone else have this happen (in any vehicles)?

Cheers!
hey, my 2019 passport battery died with 400 miles. it was a nightmare. it was in a tight parking spot after i got off a 24 hour shift (anesthesia residency). took 3 roadside assistance people and 8 hours for it to get towed to honda dealership. they said "oh sorry about the bad battery, we'll give you a new one." i had to beg the dealership for something for my time on a new car i just paid like 35k for. they gave me a free oil change... has been working fine since.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Lol.
This just made my day! Lol.
Glad to give you a chuckle. One of the advantages of living the retired life. I have learned that what most people consider "immediate needs " are either not really that important or their planning was lacking. The only thing working harder does is to take more time and wear you out. So now I try to work smarter, not harder.

The wife on the other hand still runs around like a chicken with her head cut off. She's not retired yet, and it seems like there isn't an evening she that she doesn't call me from work to tell me she's going to stop some place to pick up something because she forgot to get it when she was out before.

But she is still making the daily drive to and from work so it's just a way point in the daily trip instead of a whole new trip for one little thing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Interesting story as I got another low battery alert just a few minutes ago and I even went out and remote started it yesterday. I’m on week 2 of 4 of no driving and very little activity from a torn meniscus. I last drove it to the knee dr in Fountain Valley on 4/6, so maybe 9 miles round trip.

When you say you didn’t drive long enough, do you mean the time between drives or distance of drives?

Is this new battery supposed to be bigger and hold a longer charge? There was talks that our original battery wasn’t big enough for our vehicle which is why I continuously get a low batter alert even though it tests good.

And can you share the Honda Care number you called so I can save it in my phone? I don’t have any stickers with the number.
You know there comes a time in life you just got to think about slowing down a little bit. 😁

Sorry to hear about you knee. Hope it gets better soon. I feel for you, especially every time
I walk. I have 4 more years before they will consider replacing the one I have permanently d
damaged.

·
Super Moderator
2,945 Posts
[/QUOTE[/QUOTE]
You know there comes a time in life you just got to think about slowing down a little bit. 😁

Sorry to hear about you knee. Hope it gets better soon. I feel for you, especially every time
I walk. I have 4 more years before they will consider replacing the one I have permanently d
damaged.
thanks Harvey. The sad news, is we haven’t worked for 433 days and all I was doing was alternating a 90 minute bike ride or walk when the winds weren’t blowing sideways. So it turns out, exercise is not good for me! 🤷‍♀️ The dr is hoping 4 weeks of doing nothing and keeping it immobile in a brace will help heal the meniscus without surgery. 🤞🏻

·
Registered
842 Posts

thanks Harvey. The sad news, is we haven’t worked for 433 days and all I was doing was alternating a 90 minute bike ride or walk when the winds weren’t blowing sideways. So it turns out, exercise is not good for me! 🤷‍♀️ The dr is hoping 4 weeks of doing nothing and keeping it immobile in a brace will help heal the meniscus without surgery. 🤞🏻
[/QUOTE]

As the immortal Mark Twain observed:

"I have never taken any exercise, except sleeping and resting, and I never intend to take any. I take my only exercise acting as a pallbearer at the funerals of my friends who exercise regularly.”

Here I was hoping that California had started to open up the industry by now. Wishing you the best with the knee and work.

·
Registered
330 Posts
One other interesting thing was, my Service Advisor said the original battery retailed for $200, but they gave me the upgraded ($300) battery (scored...!).
Steven, any particulars on the new battery from a work order?
Original battery was 31500-TZ7-AGM100M, List; $270.28. 70 Ah/20 HR

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Elite
48 Posts
Drove fine yesterday, went out to go to work and "nothing" nada, no lights, no display, it was dead...!

Still being under the 3-year warranty, I called Honda Care at the number on the window sticker, lady was nice and contacted a two company, who called and texted and was there inside 20 minutes, jumped the PP and I was on my way to the dealer.

Got real lucky, pulled up to the dealer and I was the second car (yeah, those reliable Honda's...), they tried to charge it, and determined it was "terminal" (a little battery humor there) and installed a new battery (free). One other interesting thing was, my Service Advisor said the original battery retailed for $200, but they gave me the upgraded ($300) battery (scored...!).

One more tid-bit: both the Tow driver and Service guy said that it could have died due to not being driven long enough. This is exactly what BMW told me , when they replaced the $500 battery in my old car. It seems that will all the electronics in these modern vehicles, some of which are active all the time, driving the car 5 miles back and forth to work and grocery stores DOES NOT properly charge the battery up to where it needs to be and operating it at a reduced change-capacity will damage it to the point of it needing to be replaced!

Cheers!
Interesting. I'm retired and with the COVID thing, I hardly drive my 2019 Elite anywhere these days except for short trips to the store. I've not had that problem at all but I appreciate the heads up in case I do.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
No disrespect HarveyW ,
You just struck a funny chord. I've learned lots from you on here.

I was thinking that if I wanted to satisfy my craving for my monthly cheeseburger down at the corner burger joint, that I couldn't drive our $34,000 car, hahaha.

My life is nowhere near as organized as yours.
Enjoy your retirement, heaven knows you earned it.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Cheers!
I had a 2018 Honda CRV (replaced it with a Passport) and the battery went dead last summer. It was covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
842 Posts
No disrespect HarveyW ,
You just struck a funny chord. I've learned lots from you on here.

I was thinking that if I wanted to satisfy my craving for my monthly cheeseburger down at the corner burger joint, that I couldn't drive our $34,000 car, hahaha.

My life is nowhere near as organized as yours.
Enjoy your retirement, heaven knows you earned it.
Well the way we solve the food cravings is that Friday is also take out day. Used to be eat out day until Covid, but now it has be come take out day to help support our local eateries. Bottom line I DO NOT cook on Friday. It's my day off from the kitchen. About 3 in the afternoon the wife calls and we figure out what we want and then she orders it and picks it up on the way home from work.

I didn't mention that I volunteer at a local hospital on Tuesday and Wednesdays, so again if I need something I can just stop and get it on the drive home.

I do have my Saturday morning McDonalds breakfast that I get every Saturday, but even that has been incorporated into other things most to the time. One of the granddaughters plays soccer, she's 9, and they usually have a game on Saturday morning. Of course the soccer complex is clear across town so its a nice 20-25 minute drive to the game and home again. Drive to the game, grab Micky D's 2 blocks from the complex and eat breakfast watching a game.

One of the things that helps me be much more organized is laziness.

Now that I'm retired I don't have to get up and get dressed up for work. Since I don't have to dress up anymore my daily at home attire is a pocket t-shirt or polo, runners sweats, the kind with pockets and t-shoes. If I'm organized I don't have to shave daily, put on regular pants or a suit etc to go out for 5 minutes to a store a few blocks away. I have several suits, dress shirts and ties gathering dust in the closet along with all of my slacks and dressier shirts. My dresser now is home to several pairs of runners sweats, t shirts and simple polos.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Cheers!
My 3 past Crv's my Moms Crv, once more when my Older sis acquired it, My Dad's Crv the brand on battery was always Yuasa

·
Super Moderator
2,945 Posts
And yet another low battery alert today.
I started it yesterday and on the 20th.
Not much I can do to drive it.
Perhaps, as a 2nd birthday gift, we all get new and improved batteries from Honda? 🤔

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
476 Posts
And yet another low battery alert today.
I started it yesterday and on the 20th.
Not much I can do to drive it.
Unless you are driving the vehicle around continuously for 25 miles or more, or letting it idle in your garage for 20 minutes or more, that simple act of starting the engine will use more stored battery charge than the alternator can put back in.

With your knee condition curtailing your activity significantly, your temporary solution would be:
  • trickle charger as others have suggested in this thread and other threads,
  • disconnect negative battery cable at battery, but then you would also 'loose' radio presets, etc
  • let it idle in place for 15 minutes or more (or whatever max time period remote start is preprogrammed)
  • hope your battery's condition is healthy enough to recover parasitic draw and other parasites,
  • 3-year Honda Roadside Assistance.

This is not a Honda specific problem, as owners of most other makes have expressed similar frustrations with newer model vehicles, ESPECIALLY apparent due to Covid-curtailed driving. Many articles have detailed this:
When does a car battery charge?
Your coronavirus sidelined car's battery
Don't let your car sit unused
Maintaining your sitting-car battery
Keep your unused car healthy
Car battery & covid
Looking after your car battery
Increased battery calls because nobody's driving

Batteries can be replaced, vehicles can be replaced, meniscus' can be rested and 'healed' . . .
. . . but your long term prognosis for knee, work, and happiness is more important.
Wishing you the best!!
🐼

·
Super Moderator
2,945 Posts
Unless you are driving the vehicle around continuously for 25 miles or more, or letting it idle in your garage for 20 minutes or more, that simple act of starting the engine will use more stored battery charge than the alternator can put back in.

With your knee condition curtailing your activity significantly, your temporary solution would be:
  • trickle charger as others have suggested in this thread and other threads,
  • disconnect negative battery cable at battery, but then you would also 'loose' radio presets, etc
  • let it idle in place for 15 minutes or more (or whatever max time period remote start is preprogrammed)
  • hope your battery's condition is healthy enough to recover parasitic draw and other parasites,
  • 3-year Honda Roadside Assistance.

This is not a Honda specific problem, as owners of most other makes have expressed similar frustrations with newer model vehicles, ESPECIALLY apparent due to Covid-curtailed driving. Many articles have detailed this:
When does a car battery charge?
Your coronavirus sidelined car's battery
Don't let your car sit unused
Maintaining your sitting-car battery
Keep your unused car healthy
Car battery & covid
Looking after your car battery
Increased battery calls because nobody's driving

Batteries can be replaced, vehicles can be replaced, meniscus' can be rested and 'healed' . . .
. . . but your long term prognosis for knee, work, and happiness is more important.
Wishing you the best!!
🐼
Thanks Jerry. I did let it run about 5 minutes in my garage as it was the longest I could stand with my knee. I opted to not get crutches since there was no where I needed to go other than to the kitchen, bath, bedroom in my 515 sq ft apartment! 🤣

I‘ve given Honda 1/2 a dozen chances to resolve the battery issue, so at this point, it’s
- a 6 year (negotiated in my contract) Honda Roadside Assistance.

I did drive it about 10 miles 2 weeks ago before I was put on sofa patrol. But it seems this battery only holds at 2 weeks which is crazy!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Thanks Jerry. I did let it run about 5 minutes in my garage as it was the longest I could stand with my knee. I opted to not get crutches since there was no where I needed to go other than to the kitchen, bath, bedroom in my 515 sq ft apartment! 🤣

I‘ve given Honda 1/2 a dozen chances to resolve the battery issue, so at this point, it’s
- a 6 year (negotiated in my contract) Honda Roadside Assistance.

I did drive it about 10 miles 2 weeks ago before I was put on sofa patrol. But it seems this battery only holds at 2 weeks which is crazy!
I wonder what we would mess up if we installed a cut-off switch. Something is drawing power from the battery while it is parked.

They need to just fix the issue.

Loving my 2014 CRV more and more. Never a battery issue. 07 was flawless too.

Reactions: ProdGirl

·
Super Moderator
2,945 Posts
I wonder what we would mess up if we installed a cut-off switch. Something is drawing power from the battery while it is parked.

They need to just fix the issue.

Loving my 2014 CRV more and more. Never a battery issue. 07 was flawless too.
I told Honda and the dealer the same, something is drawing power when it’s parked, even though I shut everything down. However, they just didn’t seem to care enough to do anything to diagnose the issue.

My CRV was so reliable, yet predictable. When I had to move back to Vegas in 2007, it never made it a full 2 summers without needing a new battery, despite parking in a garage at home or when working at a resort downtown. But at least I knew and got a replacement at about 1.80 years before it would leave me stranded. When I moved back to CA in the summer of 2013, I only replaced the battery once in 6 years! That desert heat is brutal on our vehicles.

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well the way we solve the food cravings is that Friday is also take out day. Used to be eat out day until Covid, but now it has be come take out day to help support our local eateries. Bottom line I DO NOT cook on Friday. It's my day off from the kitchen. About 3 in the afternoon the wife calls and we figure out what we want and then she orders it and picks it up on the way home from work.

I didn't mention that I volunteer at a local hospital on Tuesday and Wednesdays, so again if I need something I can just stop and get it on the drive home.

I do have my Saturday morning McDonalds breakfast that I get every Saturday, but even that has been incorporated into other things most to the time. One of the granddaughters plays soccer, she's 9, and they usually have a game on Saturday morning. Of course the soccer complex is clear across town so its a nice 20-25 minute drive to the game and home again. Drive to the game, grab Micky D's 2 blocks from the complex and eat breakfast watching a game.

One of the things that helps me be much more organized is laziness.

Now that I'm retired I don't have to get up and get dressed up for work. Since I don't have to dress up anymore my daily at home attire is a pocket t-shirt or polo, runners sweats, the kind with pockets and t-shoes. If I'm organized I don't have to shave daily, put on regular pants or a suit etc to go out for 5 minutes to a store a few blocks away. I have several suits, dress shirts from vlone and ties gathering dust in the closet along with all of my slacks and dressier shirts. My dresser now is home to several pairs of runners sweats, t shirts and simple polos.
I‘ve given Honda 1/2 a dozen chances to resolve the battery issue. But you are saying right. Thanks for the words.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've just experienced the same thing on Sunday coming back from a weekend trip and finding my Passport 100% dead, no lights at all. Curiously it was unlocked all around, ie, never locked when I walked away on Friday?
Also called Honda Roadside assistance, the guy had to use two battery packs to jump it. They really make the negative terminal impossible to reach, was hard to find a good point nearby.

I don't drive very frequently working from home etc but split my driving more or less equal between my vehicles no such problems with the other... very surprising experience. have about 1700 miles on it.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts