Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove fine yesterday, went out to go to work and "nothing" nada, no lights, no display, it was dead...!

Still being under the 3-year warranty, I called Honda Care at the number on the window sticker, lady was nice and contacted a two company, who called and texted and was there inside 20 minutes, jumped the PP and I was on my way to the dealer.

Got real lucky, pulled up to the dealer and I was the second car (yeah, those reliable Honda's...), they tried to charge it, and determined it was "terminal" (a little battery humor there) and installed a new battery (free). One other interesting thing was, my Service Advisor said the original battery retailed for $200, but they gave me the upgraded ($300) battery (scored...!).

One more tid-bit: both the Tow driver and Service guy said that it could have died due to not being driven long enough. This is exactly what BMW told me , when they replaced the $500 battery in my old car. It seems that will all the electronics in these modern vehicles, some of which are active all the time, driving the car 5 miles back and forth to work and grocery stores DOES NOT properly charge the battery up to where it needs to be and operating it at a reduced change-capacity will damage it to the point of it needing to be replaced!

Anyone else have this happen (in any vehicles)?

Cheers!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I suspect that's why my idle stop never came on during the winter even when I tried by turning off accessories etc. When my Accord was like two years old, same story as you. I charged the battery at home got it started and went to the dealer. I drive into the service bay and was greeted by the service advisor. She tries to turn on the ignition to get the mileage and it dies. I go to the waiting room and she tells me if the battery holds a charge Honda won't replace it. I said you've got to be kidding it should have held a charge on its drive over. They ended up replacing it after I made a stink (but kept it overnight probably so they could make some money on a loaner) and then when I pick up the car they left a booster pack in the back seat. Then about a year or two later Honda has some type of recall on battery cables. That was the point where I started thinking about getting a new dealer or a new brand. I usually change a batteries after 4 winters but I guess that won't be the case with this AGM style.

Do you know what's in the upgraded battery that you received that makes it different?

·
Registered
215 Posts
All of our Hondas are connected on a rotational schedule to a CTEK MUS, using a quick coupling connector under the bonnet with no need for tools.
That includes also Honda generator batteries. All batteries are scanned at least once a month to determine SOH and SOC.

Battery maintenance is just as routine as checking tire pressures.

·
Daimyo
2021 Honda Passport Elite - Tonbo-Giri⛩️
425 Posts
Just my opinion but I firmly believe that car batteries are nowhere near as good and reliable as they once were. I also believe there has been a major decrease in the quality and longevity of new aftermarket batteries. O'Reilly Auto Parts sold me a new battery last summer for a van I have and it went completely dead in the winter 6 months later, I had a new 2018 Subaru Outback that had a factory battery go completely dead in less than 2 years, you can go over to SubaruOutback.org and see hundreds if not thousands of reports from Subaru owners that have had battery issues on new batteries from the factory as well as aftermarket batteries.

For all my vehicles I tried to find out what the battery specs are for each one and then go to find the battery with the highest level of cold cranking capacity and charge that I can buy for a reasonable price and use those.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The idle stop feature in itself is a recipe for failure. These new features are battery killers. I haven’t used my idle stop yet, it goes off before I move. Just wait until your warranty expires and you have to replace one of these batteries...expensive. This entire feature was put in the vehicle to benefit Honda ....EPA ratings. It’s simply not worth the minor possibility that you might get an extra .1mgp fuel economy boost.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,945 Posts
Interesting story as I got another low battery alert just a few minutes ago and I even went out and remote started it yesterday. I’m on week 2 of 4 of no driving and very little activity from a torn meniscus. I last drove it to the knee dr in Fountain Valley on 4/6, so maybe 9 miles round trip.

When you say you didn’t drive long enough, do you mean the time between drives or distance of drives?

Is this new battery supposed to be bigger and hold a longer charge? There was talks that our original battery wasn’t big enough for our vehicle which is why I continuously get a low batter alert even though it tests good.

And can you share the Honda Care number you called so I can save it in my phone? I don’t have any stickers with the number.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Tadakatsu said:
For all my vehicles I tried to find out what the battery specs are for each one and then go to find the battery with the highest level of cold cranking capacity and charge that I can buy for a reasonable price and use those.
Just a personal preference - but - we deliberately select the LOWEST CCA that is "acceptable" for the vehicle or application. Why is that you may wonder? It has to do with battery plate characteristics, durability and application based on climate. We drive Hondas in arctic conditions (-35 C) and in tropics and deserts with ambient temperatures exceeding 40 C.

One tip, if I may suggest one..... have a reliable battery tester tool when purchasing a new battery and test the battery BEFORE it is connected to car. There is no need to take the plastic caps off as there is a small hole at the top of the posts and probes can be inserted for testing. Ensure you have full readout of the SOH and SOC and test both CA and CCA. Have personally observed many locations (big box stores, dealers, tire shops) trying to unload brand-new-in-appearance batteries with severely compromised plates or dimished life capacity. Even Costco is not immune to this behavior and it pays to have your own digital tester (I use a FOXWELL BT705 when making battery purchases)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Good info folks, thanks.
The Wifey called today about a low battery warning..
I guess I'll take it in when I have time.
Hopefully I score like stevenD did.

On a side note, I have a smart AGM rated pulse charger. I've noticed that the pp battery was low and slow to charge both times I hooked it up.
Pretty sad.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting story as I got another low battery alert just a few minutes ago and I even went out and remote started it yesterday. I’m on week 2 of 4 of no driving and very little activity from a torn meniscus. I last drove it to the knee dr in Fountain Valley on 4/6, so maybe 9 miles round trip.

When you say you didn’t drive long enough, do you mean the time between drives or distance of drives?

Is this new battery supposed to be bigger and hold a longer charge? There was talks that our original battery wasn’t big enough for our vehicle which is why I continuously get a low batter alert even though it tests good.

And can you share the Honda Care number you called so I can save it in my phone? I don’t have any stickers with the number.
Oh sorry to hear about your injury, best wishes on a speedy recovery!

The Honda Care number was on a little sticker on the driver side window, that I have been meaning to take off - great idea to put it in my phone, here it is:

Next, I talked to a guy at my work he he suggested getting a Solar Powered Battery Charger and I'm currently looking into those.

Yes, I drive 12 minutes to work, park and then 12 minutes home. On the weekends I may go 10 minutes to a grocery store or to grab something to eat and then back home, so the thinking is that the Passport is continually using power and these little short drives do not fully charge it back up and over the course of time, it just goes down and down and down, until it damages the battery, so that it will no longer hold a charge. So driving 20-30 minutes each way to work is a good thing, I guess...lol

·
Registered
2021 Passport Elite
483 Posts
Good info folks, thanks.
The Wifey called today about a low battery warning..
I guess I'll take it in when I have time.
Hopefully I score like stevenD did.

On a side note, I have a smart AGM rated pulse charger. I've noticed that the pp battery was low and slow to charge both times I hooked it up.
Pretty sad.
The AGM batteries don’t like a fast charge, that’s one of the differences of a AGM rated charger.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My pulse charger is a very slow charge device.
When you hook it up it tells you whether or not the battery is good and what percent it is.

It took 9 hours to reach 100%. Bad batteries won't ever reach 100%.
On a vehicle that is driven regularly, for greater distances than the local market, it's should take about 1 to 3 hours to reach 100%.

There is a bug somewhere.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The AGM batteries in newer vehicles is one reason that I no longer make little trips if it is at all possible.

I used to go get what I needed/wanted when I wanted. Now, unless it is a real emergency, Fridays is my trip day. This Friday is take the dogs to the groomers at 7:00 am to get their quarterly baths and their monthly nail trims. While they are at the groomers I will go to the grocery store for groceries then home to put away the groceries. After that will pick up the dogs from the groomers, then to the big box DIY store for furnace filters, they allow dogs in the store, then off to the pet store for cat food, dog food and litter, with a final trip across town to pick up some stuff for the wife.

Since I changed my driving habits I don't get the low battery warning. I also make sure that once a month I take a nice hour long drive on the highway somewhere just to get out and to make sure the battery stays charged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Drove fine yesterday, went out to go to work and "nothing" nada, no lights, no display, it was dead...!

Still being under the 3-year warranty, I called Honda Care at the number on the window sticker, lady was nice and contacted a two company, who called and texted and was there inside 20 minutes, jumped the PP and I was on my way to the dealer.

Got real lucky, pulled up to the dealer and I was the second car (yeah, those reliable Honda's...), they tried to charge it, and determined it was "terminal" (a little battery humor there) and installed a new battery (free). One other interesting thing was, my Service Advisor said the original battery retailed for $200, but they gave me the upgraded ($300) battery (scored...!).

One more tid-bit: both the Tow driver and Service guy said that it could have died due to not being driven long enough. This is exactly what BMW told me , when they replaced the $500 battery in my old car. It seems that will all the electronics in these modern vehicles, some of which are active all the time, driving the car 5 miles back and forth to work and grocery stores DOES NOT properly charge the battery up to where it needs to be and operating it at a reduced change-capacity will damage it to the point of it needing to be replaced!

Anyone else have this happen (in any vehicles)?

Cheers!
2019 Eilte. Had a new battery installed before I bought it in sept. 2020. They replaced it with a new battery in Feb 2021 when I took it for my first service (Oil change and read diff fluid). I drive more than enough for it to charge. Makes me Wonder if there’s a deficiency.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts