Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
The hitch is rated for 5000 lbs and the tongue for 500 lbs, when the transmission cooler is installed. See pic of hitch sticker when cooler is installed:
20210222_154046.jpg

·
Registered
330 Posts
The hitch is rated for 5000 lbs and the tongue for 500 lbs, when the transmission cooler is installed. See pic of hitch sticker when cooler is installed: View attachment 9555
Sorry, not trying to laborious here about the subject but you are incorrect.

The hitch has a higher max trailer weight then 5000 pounds. It is a class III hitch and each of the classes of hitches have set parameters. The max tow weight for a Class III hitch exceeds 5000 pounds. (8000lbs)

With the Class III hitch, or class IV hitch or class V hitch for that matter the Passport, Pilot and Ridgeline are all still rated to a maximum of 5000 pounds trailer weight and 500 lbs tongue weight, with of course the vehicle being an AWD vehicle and having the auxiliary ATF cooler installed.

I have the same sticker. Came with the ATF cooler, even though I don't have a hitch on the Passport. The sticker lets people know that the vehicle has the ATF cooler installed without having to crawl under the vehicle to see it thereby letting them know that they can now tow up to the maximum tow weight for the vehicle of 5000 pounds. I put mine in the owners manual folder for whoever ends up with my Passport in some future year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This whole thread is unreal.

If you have a Honda transmission cooler installed (& SHOULD have trailer brakes) you can tow 5000 pounds with that hitch on your Passport. All day - no problem.

Jeez 😳

·
Registered
728 Posts
This whole thread is unreal.

If you have a Honda transmission cooler installed (& SHOULD have trailer brakes) you can tow 5000 pounds with that hitch on your Passport. All day - no problem.

Jeez 😳
The saddest part is that you'll never get that ten minutes of your life back!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I suspect that Honda assumes that people who are buying the hitch have an understanding of hitches and hauling. The OEM is a class III hitch. Cllass III hitches are rated to 8000 lbs max with an max 800 lb tongue weight.

View attachment 9536

College Hill has a bad description on their site. Same part number at Bernardi specifies that it is a Class III hitch.
P

Bernardi also lists this same limit. They are letting the customer know that the max weight they can pull with the hitch installed on the Passport is 3500 lbs, which is correct.

To reach the 5000 lb limit you must, for the mechanical sake of the vehicle, install the ATF cooler. That is a separate part that is not part of the hitch and for good reason. Look at the number of people on this site alone that have a hitch just for carrying a bicycle(s) or a full size spare. Neither of which require an ATF cooler or the wiring harness.

To the OP, personal recommendation, if you are looking to pull a trailer install the ATF cooler even if you are under the 3500 lb limit. Your vehicle will thank you. Also, do not attempt tow more than 80% of the towing capacity. Keep in mind when towing at that weight you are asking a 280 hp engine and transmission to move down the road the equivalent of two + Passports.

Forgot to mention, when you install the ATF cooler you should get a Sticker that shows the max towing weight is now 5000 lbs. I don't have a hitch on my Passport, but because I want to take the best care of the vehicle I added the ATF cooler anyway.
I appreciate the conversation on this topic as I’m seriously looking at the 2012 passport and would like the 5000 lb towing capacity. So right now it appears that the tow package would work but it is important to also order the external transmission oil cooler. Is that a product that has to be factory installed or can be installed by the dealer?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I appreciate the conversation on this topic as I’m seriously looking at the 2012 passport and would like the 5000 lb towing capacity. So right now it appears that the tow package would work but it is important to also order the external transmission oil cooler. Is that a product that has to be factory installed or can be installed by the dealer?
Presuming you mean 2021 - I just got one and had the (Honda) hitch, (Honda) transmission cooler, & wiring – along with a heated steering wheel - installed by dealer on my EXL before delivery.. You can negotiate on that just like every other part of the deal & you can residualize up to $300 of it if you're leasing. Tows great and the torque vectoring is awesome!

·
Registered
530 Posts
To answer your question regarding the cooler install. It can't be ordered with it. It has to be installed by the dealer, or by an independent shop, or as a DIY project. I had mine installed at the dealer because I did not want any potential warranty concerns. The having the dealer so it is definitely the most expensive. Just be sure that the the ATF fluid level is checked after the the cooler is installed. BTW- If you are a Costco member, you can go to their auto buying web site and look for the service and accessories info. It will tell you which dealers and indie shops in your area will give 15% off on parts and service.

·
Registered
728 Posts
🍿 Bump. So, If I have a Class III hitch can I tow 8000 pounds? Thanks.
[/QUOTEyet?
Hahahahahahahaha

Haven't you had enough popcorn yet?

You can AFTER you install two extra decals to the OEM hitch and 5 decals to the pine hitch...

Reactions: PNWGarageDad

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hahahahahahahaha

Haven't you had enough popcorn yet? Nope.

You can AFTER you install two extra decals to the OEM hitch and 5 decals to the pine hitch...
If I put two stickers on that means the car will two 10,000 pounds. The design and engineering in the receiver is only good for 8000, so that becomes my new limit.

Thanks Moab.

·
Registered
330 Posts
🍿 Bump. So, If I have a Class III hitch can I tow 8000 pounds? Thanks.
Can you? Probably for about 50 miles, then you will need to have Honda install a new transmission for around 5K out of your pocket as the Vehicle is only rated to towing up to 5000 lbs.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes and No it doesn't have a 5000 lb towing capacity. The capacity can and does get reduced by the number of occupant in the vehicle along with the amount of gear being hauled in the vehicle. To understand more go to the Honda Owners site put in the year and make of Honda, you are looking at and download the full manual for that vehicle. There will be a section on Towing. Read the entire section so you understand the limits when using the Passport for towing.

This is the towing capacity chart for the 2019-2020. The 2021 should be the same.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Can you? Probably for about 50 miles, then you will need to have Honda install a new transmission for around 5K out of your pocket as the Vehicle is only rated to towing up to 5000 lbs.
I think he is just funning with us here. He doesn't want this crazy thread to die.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think he is just funning with us here. He doesn't want this crazy thread to die.
Oh I get it, but there is so much confusion with a lot of people when it come to towing. So many, especially now, are thinking, I got a Passport, it's a on road off road vehicle and we could go lots of places with an RV. Problem with towing is that if you don't have a good understanding before you start, the on the job learning can be costly, dangerous or both.

Like flying a fighter jet, on the job training is not the time to be figuring out the basics.

·
Registered
728 Posts
"So how do I land this sucker?" Lolol.

Here's an honest question.

So why does the install of a tranny cooler increase the vehicles/ hitches tongue weight capacity?

I thought the vertical strength of the hitch itself,
along with vehicle weight, springs ,frame, (or lack thereof) axles, hubs etc....was factored into tongue weight capacities.
Not horse power or tranny strength and temps.

·
Registered
330 Posts
"So how do I land this sucker?" Lolol.

So why does the install of a tranny cooler increase the vehicles/ hitches tongue weight capacity?

I thought the vertical strength of the hitch itself,
along with vehicle weight, springs ,frame, (or lack thereof) axles, hubs etc....was factored into tongue weight capacities.
Not horse power or tranny strength and temps.

It doesn't. The tow capacity of the hitch is the tow capacity of the hitch. The tongue weight capacity is based on being 9% to 15% of the towing capacity for safe towing. Closer to 10% is the optimum. A class III hitch has a max towing capacity of 8000 lbs and a max tongue weight of 800 lbs.

One reason for this is that trailers built in North America are designed to have approximately 60% of the weight of the trailer on the forward side of the trailers axel(s). In the UK and other countries the design is different as are tongue weights recommendations. But we are talking about a vehicle made for the North American market pulling North American built trailers.

So if the vehicle towing capacity is 3500 lbs, then the max tongue weight capacity is 350 lbs. If you add the transmission cooler thereby increasing the max towing capacity from 3500 lbs to 5000 lbs, assuming that you have an AWD Passport, then the max tongue weight goes from 350 lbs to 500 lbs due to the increased towing capacity of the vehicle.

Is there actually some give and take in the equation? Yes, but vehicle manufactures as well as trailer manufacturers don't go into that. One of the biggest reasons more than likely is the "Give them and inch and they will take a mile" factor of humans.

·
Registered
28 Posts

It doesn't in & of itself of course.. Am assuming this is indeed an honest question.

Honda has 2 stickers that get stuck on the same hitch.. Both depicting a typical 10% tongue weight vs trailer weight. The one (3500/350#) goes on FWD (or AWD w/o cooler) PP's the other (5000/500#) is for AWD PP's with transmission cooler. In fact you can get the 5000# "kit" with the hitch & the cooler. (& 500/5000# sticker - lol)

So, as a practical matter, an AWD w/o cooler can tow 3500lbs & you could run up to 500lb tongue weight & you would be fine. (presuming 2 passengers + that payload considerations otherwise were within spec for max towing capacity)

In truth this is not different than virtually all tow vehicles when towing anywhere near the limits. (adding more payload always potentially decreases tongue/towing weight limits)

Have to know all the factors before just slapping a trailer on ANY vehicle.

Unfortunately this kind of instruction is not included with the Passport purchase - but fortunately the info to keep safe is largely in the manual & it's pretty darn capable for what it is.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I see the pain in your face..lol.

Basically,, the OEM, Honda hitch comes with all kinds of variables attached to its ratings.

Aftermarket hitch numbers are much closer to stating the actual strength of the hitch itself.

Got it. Thanks guys.

I pulled triples for UPS on and off for 17 years.
I do understand a thing or two about pulling.

I'd be hard pressed to believe my EXL would comfortably and safely handle 500 pounds of tongue weight. Next time we go crawling, ill hook onto that. It should be about 300 lbs.

My toy hauler had a 600lb tongue weight empty.
My son lived in it one summer in Moab. We had it on BLM land, free camping, and had to move
It every 14 days.

I would drive my jeep down a lot. We needed to move it and thought his Tacoma would be up to the task better than my jeep. We knew full well, whichever rig we chose, would prolly not be happy.

He drew the short straw As we lowered the 600lbs down onto his hitch, we both thought that, that poor truck was never going to stop
Sagging.

Our plan to move it 3 miles down the road was quickly changed to 500 yards. The nose of that truck was so high he could barely steer it.

So yes, as mentioned above, just cause you read it in black and white doesn't mean you can throw caution and good judgment out the window.

And if you guys do put a true 500lbs on your hitch, please post a pic.

In spite of the humor, (which can can all use) this thread does have some great info in it. Thanks to all who have contributed.

MJ

Reactions: pshadoa
21 - 40 of 48 Posts