Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the AWD towing Capacity is 5K but OEM part # 08L92-TGS-100 trailer hitch is 3,500. This is only OEM part # I could find for the Passport. Does anyone know if there are two different trailer hitch part numbers for the FWD and AWD? Do you guys believe this trailer hitch can support 5K lbs?

• SKU: 08L92-TGS-100 - $270.86
  • Description: When that next adventure comes your way, put your all-new Passport to the test by adding a few of our Trailer Hitch accessories.
    • Trailer Hitch
    • Trailer Hitch Receiver &ndash. Includes ball mount receiver, retaining pin and clip
    • Trailer Hitch Harness &ndash. 7-pin round-style connector
    • Trailer Hitch Locking Pin &ndash. For added security
    • Trailer Hitch Ball &ndash. Available in 1 7/8 inches or 2 inches
    • Towing capacity: 3,500 lbs with 350-lb tongue weight
2019-2021 Honda Passport Trailer Hitch 08L92-TGS-100 | College Hills Honda Parts

·
Registered
1 Posts
So the AWD towing Capacity is 5K but OEM part # 08L92-TGS-100 trailer hitch is 3,500. This is only OEM part # I could find for the Passport. Does anyone know if there are two different trailer hitch part numbers for the FWD and AWD? Do you guys believe this trailer hitch can support 5K lbs?

• SKU: 08L92-TGS-100 - $270.86
  • Description: When that next adventure comes your way, put your all-new Passport to the test by adding a few of our Trailer Hitch accessories.
    • Trailer Hitch
    • Trailer Hitch Receiver &ndash. Includes ball mount receiver, retaining pin and clip
    • Trailer Hitch Harness &ndash. 7-pin round-style connector
    • Trailer Hitch Locking Pin &ndash. For added security
    • Trailer Hitch Ball &ndash. Available in 1 7/8 inches or 2 inches
    • Towing capacity: 3,500 lbs with 350-lb tongue weight
2019-2021 Honda Passport Trailer Hitch 08L92-TGS-100 | College Hills Honda Parts
The difference between the Passport being able to tow 3500 and 5000 is the transmission oil cooler. When you want to tow 5000lbs you have to install the oil cooler.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well that's interesting. If the hitch engineers rate that hitch at 3500 lbs, then technically one shouldn't exceed that, regardless of what their vehicle is rated to pull.

I'd love to hear Honda's slick answer to this one.

Good find PNWGarageDad

Do I "think" this hitch would support 5000 lbs?
I think you could pull a 5000 lb trailer with a 350 pound tongue around the block a time or two without a failure.

You "may" even get away with doing so for 200,000 miles, but according to the people who engineered it, you would be rolling the dice, BIG TIME.

Items like hitches are usually under-rated. By how much? Who knows?

I will say this:

Other than the 2"x2" throat, there are no similarities between the very thick,, heavy hitch on my Super Duty and my OEM Passport hitch.

I would have demolished this Passport hitch years ago if it were mounted on my truck.

Reactions: Cilles

·
Registered
32 Posts
Read your owner’s manual. It‘s pretty clear about towing capacities. They tell you that you can tow 3,500 lbs without the external transmission oil cooler and 5,000 lbs if you add the external transmission oil cooler. One other thing: the balls on the hitch come in different diameters. Not just the ball diameter, but the threaded part of the ball comes in different diameters. Some 2” balls aren’t the same as other 2” balls, etc. Some have much thicker threaded rods which are rated for carrying much more load weight. I’d suggest that if you plan on towing something and aren’t sure about what you have to work with, go to a camping/rv store and ask them for some help. Right now, your weak link is probably your lack of the tranny cooler.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Read your owner’s manual. It‘s pretty clear about towing capacities.
The OP has read his owners manual. He quoted it above.

Just because your Passports engine and tranny are up to the task of pulling 5000 lbs, doesn't mean you can safely do so if your hitch will not.

Everything in life has a weakest link. In this scenario, 3500 lb < 5000 lb.

Does this make sense?

Let's say I make my own trailer hitch out of.....um..pine 2×4's. They're pretty strong.
I'm no engineer, but I believe if I bolt that wooden hitch up to my Passport, that, according to my manual, says with the AWD model, equipped with a transmission cooler, will in fact pull a 5000 lb trailer...
The wooden hitch will fail, just like a steel hitch that is not strong enough to handle 5000 lb loads.

If the OP's info on the hitch is correct, then my Passport, with the tranny cooler would only be rated to pull 3500lbs because that is the limit, set by ENGINEERS, of the OEM hitch. That hitch is the weakest link.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I suspect that Honda assumes that people who are buying the hitch have an understanding of hitches and hauling. The OEM is a class III hitch. Cllass III hitches are rated to 8000 lbs max with an max 800 lb tongue weight.

College Hill has a bad description on their site. Same part number at Bernardi specifies that it is a Class III hitch.
P

Bernardi also lists this same limit. They are letting the customer know that the max weight they can pull with the hitch installed on the Passport is 3500 lbs, which is correct.

To reach the 5000 lb limit you must, for the mechanical sake of the vehicle, install the ATF cooler. That is a separate part that is not part of the hitch and for good reason. Look at the number of people on this site alone that have a hitch just for carrying a bicycle(s) or a full size spare. Neither of which require an ATF cooler or the wiring harness.

To the OP, personal recommendation, if you are looking to pull a trailer install the ATF cooler even if you are under the 3500 lb limit. Your vehicle will thank you. Also, do not attempt tow more than 80% of the towing capacity. Keep in mind when towing at that weight you are asking a 280 hp engine and transmission to move down the road the equivalent of two + Passports.

Forgot to mention, when you install the ATF cooler you should get a Sticker that shows the max towing weight is now 5000 lbs. I don't have a hitch on my Passport, but because I want to take the best care of the vehicle I added the ATF cooler anyway.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Great feedback from all. I have a decent understanding of towing, towed a race car to the track for years. I still have a truck if I needed to do any major towing.

If the tranny cooler yields addition 1500 lbs, then if I added 10 ATF coolers I could achieve 15,000 more towing. Only kidding.

I guess the lower rating on the hitch is for liability, let's says you are towing 4k lbs which is 80% of 5k and the hitch shears off. All they have to say is, we stated its rated for 3500 lbs. Sounds like a sneaky way out.

I have a truck for major towing, but also want to take full advantage of the PP towing capabilities if I'm ever in a pickle.

I like how the OEM hitch has more ground clearance, but I think I'll go with one of the hitches from Etrailer. One is rated for 5k/750 and the other for 6k/ 900 lbs tongue weight.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Great feedback from all. I have a decent understanding of towing, towed a race car to the track for years. I still have a truck if I needed to do any major towing.

If the tranny cooler yields addition 1500 lbs, then if I added 10 ATF coolers I could achieve 15,000 more towing. Only kidding.

I guess the lower rating on the hitch is for liability, let's says you are towing 4k lbs which is 80% of 5k and the hitch shears off. All they have to say is, we stated its rated for 3500 lbs. Sounds like a sneaky way out.

I have a truck for major towing, but also want to take full advantage of the PP towing capabilities if I'm ever in a pickle.

I like how the OEM hitch has more ground clearance, but I think I'll go with one of the hitches from Etrailer. One is rates for 5k/750 or 6k/ 900 lbs tongue weight.
You are not understanding what Honda is saying. They are saying that the listed hitch is for specific vehicle(s) and with that hitch or for that matter ANY hitch, the vehicle has a towing capacity of up to a listed weight which is 3500 pound with the hitch installed. The towing rating you are referring to is the VEHICLE tow rating, not the hitch tow rating. A Class III hitch has a max towing weight of 8000 pounds.

It is the same rating for the Pilot and Ridgeline as they all use the same engine and transmission(s). The Passport only has the ZF 9 transmission where the Pilot and Ridgelines do have a 6 speed transmission option for some of the lower level trims. Either way the 3500 pound limit is a vehicle limit no matter what transmission and no matter what hitch you put on if you install a hitch.

If you want increase the vehicle tow rating to 5000 lb pounds with the Passport, Pilot or Ridgeline you need to install the ATF cooler so you don't shell the transmission. Doesn't matter if you put on a Class III hitch or a Class V hitch.

My tower, a 3/4 ton with a Cummins diesel will, I am fairly confident, out tow your PU. It has both a class 5 hitch on the read and a goose neck in the bed. The vehicle is rated to 28,000 pounds towing capacity yet the goose neck is rated to 38,000 pounds. It was specifically designed for heavy duty work including heavy duty towing.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Just because your Passports engine and tranny are up to the task of pulling 5000 lbs, doesn't mean you can safely do so if your hitch will not.

Everything in life has a weakest link. In this scenario, 3500 lb < 5000 lb.

Does this make sense?

Let's say I make my own trailer hitch out of.....um..pine 2×4's. They're pretty strong.
I'm no engineer, but I believe if I bolt that wooden hitch up to my Passport, that, according to my manual, says with the AWD model, equipped with a transmission cooler, will in fact pull a 5000 lb trailer...
The wooden hitch will fail, just like a steel hitch that is not strong enough to handle 5000 lb loads.

If the OP's info on the hitch is correct, then my Passport, with the tranny cooler would only be rated to pull 3500lbs because that is the limit, set by ENGINEERS, of the OEM hitch. That hitch is the weakest link.
You are also confused. The Honda OE hitch will tow a 5,000 trailer if you have AWD. To tow that amount Honda requires you to purchase the transmission oil cooler. HarveyW understands it and he explains it in his response. The weak link here is whether or not you have the auxiliary automatic transmission cooler. The OP doesn’t understand it and rather than try to dazzle him/her with non-essential information, it’s just easier to say that his OE hitch is fine and he needs the cooler to pull over 3500 lbs with a max limit of 5000 lbs. Discussing 2x4 home built hitches, etc is pretty much a waste of time and only adds to the confusion.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the wood 2x4 reference was spot-on and made me giggle this morning even without my first cup of coffee which I'm a walking zombie until then. IMO just adding the wording "up to 5k towing with an ATF cooler" under part # details would be nice. Anyways looks like it's going to a nice day outside, can't wait to get out!

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
40 Posts
When you buy the OEM trans cooler; included with it is a sticker to put on your hitch to show towing rated to 5000 lb.
Any Class III hitch can take 5000 lbs. It's the vehicle that is the determining factor.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't feel confused..
All of my writing on this was based on the OP's
findings that read that the hitch in question was rated for 3500 lbs.
A sticker does not increase the strength of a hitch.
If the OEM hitch is rated for more than 3500 lbs, the wordage the OP found was inaccurate.

I agree with your post KYBubblehead.
This is fun.

·
Registered
Not your typical 'StormTrooper'
310 Posts

Does this make sense?
Moab Junky - Just like with your 2002 F250 XLT 4WD, Ford OEM 3C3Z-19D520-AA class III/IV hitch has various towing specs based on several VEHICLE EQUIPMENT factors, such as cooling system, transmission coolers, rear-end gearing, engine, suspension, 4x4 vs 4x2. Same 3C3Z-19D520-AA hitch, with towing specs dependent on equipment (5,000-lb to 12,000-lb).

Honda does not manufacture the Passport with those many factory options; only options that Honda offers that directly affects tow capability is AWD and optional transmission cooler. Same 08L92-TGS-100 hitch, with towing specs dependent on equipment (3,500-lb to 5,000-lb).

And PNWGarageDad quoted College Hills Honda Parts Website -
NOT
Honda Owners Guide (refer to page 100):
NOT Honda Owners Manual (refer to page 442):
NOT Honda Website:

. . . then my Passport, with the tranny cooler would only be rated to pull 3500lbs because that is the limit, set by ENGINEERS, of the OEM hitch. That hitch is the weakest link.
Honda ZF 9HP automatic transmission is the weakest link, since Honda specifies additional transmission cooling is required as accessory towing equipment to tow up to 5000-lb with your AWD, as you say "set by ENGINEERS." 😉

Great detailed explanations by HarveyW and QCEng1. (y)

Attachments

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
741 Posts
I hear you Panda, Harvey, GarageDad,,

We have beaten this poor horse pretty badly.
I assumed that the info the OP read about the capacities of the hitch were true. I took them literally in that context.

Among capacities, He stated that it had a 350 lb tongue weight rating.

My examples were to simply demonstrate that IF what the op read was true, and accurate, then all the transmission coolers and decals in the world would not increase the tounge weight capacity of a particular hitch.

I have pushed the limits of manufacture reccomemdation, my parents, the laws of physics, dirt bikes, cars, trucks,, heavy equipment, the government and some of my teachers throughout my long, blessed life.
Everything has limits, everyone or thing WILL IN FACT EVENTUALLY SNAP.

Personally, I believe you are right. The transmissions in these sawed off Pilots would fail LONG before the OEM hitch would. Followed by springs, axles, drive shafts, the uni-body, etc.....

Even after many cars are delivered to their rusty graves, after all parts, moving and stationary have failed miserably, the one thing that can often be salvaged is the un sung hero in the back......the hitch.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm good with beating a dead horse a little longer if by doing so we clear up some miss under standings for others later on who might be looking to add the trailer hitch. Let us look at the part of the description the OP failed to include.

This product requires: 06255-5ez-316, 08l91-tgs-100a, 08l91-tgs-100, 08l92-s9v-100g, 08l92-s9v-100h, 08l92-sjc-100a, 08l92-tgs-100a.

Part # 06255-5EZ-316 ATF Cooler Kit (9-Speed AWD)
DESCRIPTION Required for towing over 3500 pounds. Max towing of 5000 pounds.

Part # 08L91-TGS-100A Hands Free Tailgate Trailer Hitch Adapter
DESCRIPTION Required adapter when installing a trailer hitch and hands-free tailgate together.

Part # 08U59-TGS-100 Hands-Free Power Tailgate Sensor
DESCRIPTION Requires attachment kit 08U59-TGS-100A (Sold Separately). Vehicles equipped with a trailer hitch also require the trailer hitch adapter 08L91-TGS-100A.

Part # 08L92-S9V Hitch Ball
DESCRIPTION Choose from 1 7/8" or 2".

Part # 08L92-SJC-100A Draw Bar Locking Hitch Pin
DESCRIPTION Protect the draw bar and trailer with this easy to use key lock system. Made of hardened steel for added security.

And last but not least and the most important item:

Part # 08L92-TGS-100 Trailer Hitch
DESCRIPTION
Includes trailer hitch, trailer hitch cover and receiver cover. Harness and accessories are sold separately. Towing capacity of 3,500 lbs with 350 lb tongue weight and up to 5,000 lbs capacity when equipped with an automatic transmission cooler. Refer to your owner's manual for details on towing. NOTE: Cannot be installed together with the center bumper trim.

The OP's mistake was going to the College Hill Honda parts catalog for accessories. The catalog gives minimum descriptions for the parts as it is just that, a parts catalog. No different than any other parts catalog you find for things like bulbs, filters, or actual replacement vehicle parts. They tell you what particular part fits what specific Year, make and model vehicle. Minimal descriptions

If the OP had gone to the College Hill Honda vehicle specific accessories catalog then the descriptions given are a bit more explained as it is written to provide information for the average Joe looking to buy accessories. The descriptions also include things like installation instructions and other details on the accessory for the average Joe looking to add accessories.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The OP's mistake was going to the College Hill Honda parts catalog for accessories. The catalog gives minimum descriptions for the parts as it is just that, a parts catalog. No different than any other parts catalog you find for things like bulbs, filters, or actual replacement vehicle parts. They tell you what particular part fits what specific Year, make and model vehicle. Minimal descriptions

If the OP had gone to the College Hill Honda vehicle specific accessories catalog then the descriptions given are a bit more explained as it is written to provide information for the average Joe looking to buy accessories. The descriptions also include things like installation instructions and other details on the accessory for the average Joe looking to add accessories.
Thanks for clearing it up! Still shaking my head why on earth they would not give full details or at least embed a link "for more specs click here". Haha, even in my second post I was thinking "up to 5k" after I read all the feedback , but it was just written in a different place. I guess for now on if I don't see part schematics then I'm on the wrong site.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks for clearing it up! Still shaking my head why on earth they would not give full details or at least embed a link "for more specs click here". Haha, even in my second post I was thinking "up to 5k" after I read all the feedback , but it was just written in a different place. I guess for now on if I don't see part schematics then I'm on the wrong site.
Not necessarily. Most of these Honda Parts sites are like any parts store or parts catalogue, they just figure that the person knows what they want/need and that they are experienced in what they are planning to do. So they provide minimal information. Fitment is probably the most important. When it come time to do the timing belt service, what do you really need to know about the timing belt or any of the other components that go with that service other than it is new and that it fits your particular vehicle?

Sites like the College Hill Honda Accessories sites on the other hand are more like the now defunct Sear Roebuck catalog was. Pictures with descriptions for someone looking to buy Honda made or Honda approved ad ons for a particular vehicle.

The one thing that both kinds of sites have however are phone numbers to call if you have any questions. I have found them very helpful when I have called them. Last time I had a question was when I wanted the ATF cooler and my local dealer couldn't get one from Honda as they were not in stock. Bernardi's showed that they had them in stock. I called to confirm that they did. Called my dealer and they brought one in from Bernardi's for the Bernardi price since they are both Official Honda dealers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not necessarily. Most of these Honda Parts sites are like any parts store or parts catalogue, they just figure that the person knows what they want/need and that they are experienced in what they are planning to do. So they provide minimal information. Fitment is probably the most important. When it come time to do the timing belt service, what do you really need to know about the timing belt or any of the other components that go with that service other than it is new and that it fits your particular vehicle?

Sites like the College Hill Honda Accessories sites on the other hand are more like the now defunct Sear Roebuck catalog was. Pictures with descriptions for someone looking to buy Honda made or Honda approved ad ons for a particular vehicle.

The one thing that both kinds of sites have however are phone numbers to call if you have any questions. I have found them very helpful when I have called them. Last time I had a question was when I wanted the ATF cooler and my local dealer couldn't get one from Honda as they were not in stock. Bernardi's showed that they had them in stock. I called to confirm that they did. Called my dealer and they brought one in from Bernardi's for the Bernardi price since they are both Official Honda dealers.
Did you have any problems when you installed the ATF cooler?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Did you have any problems when you installed the ATF cooler?
Absolutely NONE! Why you may wonder?

Because a ATF cooler for the ZF 9 is a different beast to install than either the 6 speed or 5 speed transmission coolers. The cooler itself is relatively simple to install, however with the complicated ZF 9 and it's complicated and temperamental fill situation I had it installed by the dealer. $650 before tax including the cost of the cooler. As I said they honored Bernardi's price which was $100 less than the list price.

If I decide to install the hitch at some point that, the hands free hatch opener kit and the wiring harness are no big deal. Those I will do myself.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts