Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't able to find anything on this so I thought I'd just ask. It's been cold here lately so of course I get the low tire pressure warning, but yesterday I put black Honda valve caps on and within 5 minutes I get an AWD System Problem notification. I can't imagine caps would cause a problem, but with everything being electronic these days I don't know. Has anyone had any issues with this before?

At the same time that notification popped up so did an emissions problem notification which I assume is from the intake I put on a few weeks ago. It's just odd timing to have them both pop up within 5 minutes of changing valve stem caps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had non Honda metal valve caps on my 2020 since right after I bought it. I doubt that the valve caps had anything to do with the issue.
I didn't think so, these are aluminum Honda caps, so I didn't think they were a problem at all, but the timing of it was just odd. I've never heard of the TPMS causing that issue either so who knows, I was just hoping someone has had a similar problem

·
Registered
750 Posts
I wasn't able to find anything on this so I thought I'd just ask. It's been cold here lately so of course I get the low tire pressure warning, but yesterday I put black Honda valve caps on and within 5 minutes I get an AWD System Problem notification. I can't imagine caps would cause a problem, but with everything being electronic these days I don't know. Has anyone had any issues with this before?

At the same time that notification popped up so did an emissions problem notification which I assume is from the intake I put on a few weeks ago. It's just odd timing to have them both pop up within 5 minutes of changing valve stem caps.
I don't want to scare you but the last forum member who had the "All Wheel Drive System Problem" dash notification had to have the entire rear differential replaced because a temperature sensor inside the differential case went bad. This might not be the cause of your own issue but definitely need to see your dealer. Please share whatever is found.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Take it to the dealer as soon as you can. Everything should be covered under warranty. Also I wouldn’t give them any info that they don’t ask for unless you find it necessary. Not saying they’ll try to get out of the warranty but that’s just my opinion. Please keep us posted

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't want to scare you but the last forum member who had the "All Wheel Drive System Problem" dash notification had to have the entire rear differential replaced because a temperature sensor inside the differential case went bad. This might not be the cause of your own issue but definitely need to see your dealer. Please share whatever is found.

I'm going to spend this weekend putting almost everything back to stock and setting an appointment up to get it looked at, luckily the salesman is a good friend of mine so I'm sure he'll do what he can to help expedite this process if it is something major. And thankfully I have another car I can drive in the meantime

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you know when was the last time the rear differential fluid was changed?
Someone else had similar problems and they ended up getting a new diff.
I do not, I bought it used in August. It's a 2020 with 29k miles so it's probably close to time to change the fluid if it hasn't been done

·
Registered
586 Posts
I do not, I bought it used in August. It's a 2020 with 29k miles so it's probably close to time to change the fluid if it hasn't been done
The first one needs to be changed around 15k miles give or take. The other person who had same issue also around your mileage without knowing if the fluid was changed or not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Take it to the dealer as soon as you can. Everything should be covered under warranty. Also I wouldn’t give them any info that they don’t ask for unless you find it necessary. Not saying they’ll try to get out of the warranty but that’s just my opinion. Please keep us posted
It's a certified pre-owned and I bought every extra warranty I could so if it's not covered someone may be getting an ass beating (just kidding, kinda). I do plan on taking it back to stock before taking it in though

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The first one needs to be changed around 15k miles give or take. The other person who had same issue also around your mileage without knowing if the fluid was changed or not.
My buddy is the salesman and the previous owner bought it from him brand new and had all the service done at that dealership so he's going to look into the records for me to see if it was ever done. The warning light isn't always on, it'll come on for a short period of time then go out and it won't come on the next time I drive it. It's inconsistent so it's got me puzzled for sure

·
Registered
586 Posts
My buddy is the salesman and the previous owner bought it from him brand new and had all the service done at that dealership so he's going to look into the records for me to see if it was ever done. The warning light isn't always on, it'll come on for a short period of time then go out and it won't come on the next time I drive it. It's inconsistent so it's got me puzzled for sure
The oil does wear down slowly, that's why it needs to be changed more frequently. Worn oil can have the wrong viscosity and the diff has all kinds of sensors to monitor what the clutches are doing. The worn fluid can cause all kinds of weird misbehavior of the clutch packs which can trigger warning lights. Usually as the fluids break down, they start to get thicker causing the clutches to stick more and they can cause more wear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The oil does wear down slowly, that's why it needs to be changed more frequently. Worn oil can have the wrong viscosity and the diff has all kinds of sensors to monitor what the clutches are doing. The worn fluid can cause all kinds of weird misbehavior of the clutch packs which can trigger warning lights. Usually as the fluids break down, they start to get thicker causing the clutches to stick more and they can cause more wear.
I haven't checked the info on the vehicle maintenance to see if it's showing any oil warnings, but do you know how accurate it is? I'll change the oil myself this weekend, but I wasn't sure if the vehicle info on the home screen on the infotainment is even accurate enough to let me know if it needs changed. I'm also going to have my buddy check the records to be sure, but I was just curious if it would show me anything like it does for tire rotation and oil life and all of that

·
Registered
586 Posts
I haven't checked the info on the vehicle maintenance to see if it's showing any oil warnings, but do you know how accurate it is? I'll change the oil myself this weekend, but I wasn't sure if the vehicle info on the home screen on the infotainment is even accurate enough to let me know if it needs changed. I'm also going to have my buddy check the records to be sure, but I was just curious if it would show me anything like it does for tire rotation and oil life and all of that
The diff will not give your a diff oil warning. It will just tell you the diff is malfunctioning.
Have your buddy check if it's ever been done.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had aftermarket metal caps on factory wheels. They seized on, could not be removed, lead to valve being cut off and replaced. Expensive lesson. The tire guys suggested I only use plastic caps in the future.

PPS: I took one of the cut valves home and could not removed the cap myself, it was like it was welded on.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had aftermarket metal caps on factory wheels. They seized on, could not be removed, lead to valve being cut off and replaced. Expensive lesson. The tire guys suggested I only use plastic caps in the future.

PPS: I took one of the cut valves home and could not removed the cap myself, it was like it was welded on.
I think the valve stems are made of aluminum so if you have steel caps, they can literally weld each other together in the presence of moisture. Plastic valve caps only yes.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Used aluminum valve caps for years and never had an issue with them sticking. The torque spec for valve stem caps is hand tights, no wrench needed. The only problem I have had with them is someone forgetting to put on back on after tires were balanced and rotated.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Used aluminum valve caps for years and never had an issue with them sticking. The torque spec for valve stem caps is hand tights, no wrench needed. The only problem I have had with them is someone forgetting to put on back on after tires were balanced and rotated.
Yes aluminum caps will be fine on aluminum stem. Copper or steel will not work well with aluminum stem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update, my buddy is in vacation so he hasn't gotten me info on whether the diff fluid was changed at 15k miles or not, but I haven't had the warning light come back on the last 4 days.

I'm going to buy fluid and washers to replace the fluid anyway since it's pushing 30k miles and wouldn't hurt anything and then I'll know firsthand when it was last done

·
Registered
586 Posts
Just an update, my buddy is in vacation so he hasn't gotten me info on whether the diff fluid was changed at 15k miles or not, but I haven't had the warning light come back on the last 4 days.

I'm going to buy fluid and washers to replace the fluid anyway since it's pushing 30k miles and wouldn't hurt anything and then I'll know firsthand when it was last done
Yea can’t hurt. The fluid is a bit expensive like $19 a qt. I used exactly 2qts for mine.
My guess is the fluid has sheered down to a thinner viscosity causing the clutch packs to grab more but since the weather is cooling down, the fluid gets thicker so it’s just enough to not trigger the light.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts