Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
907 Posts
Honda has probably reached some sort of "recall but no recall" agreement with the NHTSA. I guess that's some relief for affected owners who have endured the past 4/5 years of being told - "you are not driving it enough that's why it won't restart when the light turns green" by dealers.

· Registered
907 Posts
What I find quite odd is the VIN numbers effected are not listed. Every service bulletin I have ever encountered has the VIN's effected on it.

Also on NHTSA I see nothing but 5 complaints (service brakes/forward collision avoidance) on my 2022, 37 complaints on 2021 and zero complaints on 2020. Not one complaint on the start stop malfunction.

I figure this issue with the start stop is pretty rare. I imagine it's fixed automatically when the vehicle is brought into dealer for service. And it does not have to be a Honda dealer. My local shop checks and corrects any kind of service bulletin on various manufacturers vehicles.

The start stop issue is not rare, the chart below says NHTSA received 1,016 complaints from 2016 Pilot owners and it launched one investigation of the issue, that investigation nudged Honda into rolling out the present solution.

Yes those are Pilot owners but after several years of owning Hondas you will realize that a lot of Honda/Acura vehicles are largely identical when you strip back the body panels. In addition to that, NHTSA has a threshold before it responds to complaints so as far as the Honda Idle Stop issues are concerned, complaints from the owners of the 2016 Honda Pilot must have crossed that threshold before the other vehicles/years.
Whatever issues the owners of the 2016-2022 Pilot are experiencing will likely be the issues being experienced by owners of 2019-2022 Passport and 2020-2023 Ridgeline because all these vehicles share almost everything except body panels. So when Honda offers a solution to the Idle Stop complaints the NHTSA was/is investigating in the 2016 Pilot, it's only natural to extend the solution to all vehicles that will be having same issues.

Light Product Font Line Screenshot

· Registered
907 Posts
And as to why I take with a grain of salt a quirk that is blown out of proportion on the forums.
You keep using the anecdotal 'car forum rage' example as if you imagine NHTSA or Honda investigates or fixes problems based of forum posts. You can disagree about your vehicle's quality but your experience is limited to your vehicle alone. In this case Honda must have received scores of complaints about this problem from its dealer network even if both the NHTSA investigation and the class action lawsuit about the Idle Stop feature do not exist. Car manufacturers don't recall cars because of innocuous "quirks".

I'm quite surprised. Never heard of that one before.
This response perfectly characterizes your opinion on this issue, you form concrete opinions despite having limited knowledge of Honda vehicles or the issues being described. In case you like to know, every 2019-2021 Passport/Pilot and 2018-2021 Odyssey owner has heard about the crackling and popping infotainment issue either because they had the issue in their vehicle or they received an invitation from Honda to come and fix it. Even then, it remains a sore point for many owners of the 2019-2021 years.

I understand that it's human to insist we made the perfect choice even if things seems a bit wonky on the edges after the wrapping is off, however, if a 2022 Passport is your first Honda, I think it's crass and farcical to dump on the owners of the previous years by insisting the problems they had is a figment of their imagination.
I'm silently dreading when someone mentions the Hood Recall for some 2019 Passport, 2016-2019 Pilot and 2017-2020 Ridgeline because you are likely going to say it's the owners fault if they don't lock their hoods well even if the problem led to Honda discontinuing aluminum hoods in 2022 and then introduce a double latch in the 2023 Pilot.

With that said, I'm not here to criticize Honda, I've owned Honda and Acura vehicles exclusively all my life and we presently have a 2020 Passport Touring which I consider a great vehicle, one of the best in it's class, nevertheless, I don't consider Honda as a manufacturer of fail safe nuclear reactors.

· Registered
907 Posts
jasonpp, The previous Honda/Acura TSB 22-008 required dealership service, (.2 hour labor), it's not a simple over-the-air software update

Hopefully Honda will offer to also extend their warranty on the starter to 10-years like they did to 'correct' the same problem on the TLX. See attachments
This!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a warranty extension on the starter of the 2019-2021 Passport, I can imagine the starter in these vehicle have taken an undue amount of beating in the past 4 years. If Honda doesn't, that is probably going to be the reason of the next class action lawsuit.

· Registered
907 Posts
fx_chip, I will respectfully have to disagree in regards to your arguments and rebuttals toward me. No vehicle is perfect. However, these Honda mechanical problems are getting blown way out of proportion. 5 NHTSA complaints (none for the stop start feature) for a 2022 Passport is not representative of the 10's of thousands that have rolled off the assembly line.
At the risk of joining you in going round in circles I will point out again that the 2022 is not the genesis of the Idle Stop issues, it started with the 2016 Pilot which the NHTSA received thousands of complaints on, the same 2016 Pilot is largely identical to all Passports when you pull the skin back. I made a point of this numbers earlier, you replied about you being confused why it remains unfixed until Honda released a Service Bulletin for it this month to cover all affected cars including the 2022 Passport, but here you are again a few posts down, claiming only 5 complaints exists. The complaints since the 2016 Pilot are about the Idle Stop system in the Pilot, not about the Pilot itself, that same system is in all Passports from 2019 till 2022.

And yes everyone knows how Idle Stop systems works since Bosch developed the second generation of the system for BMW in 2008, however, if all car manufacturers are not using the same management program for their Idle Stop system it's ridiculous to claim because it works great in your mother's Highlander then anyone that thinks the system in their car is faulty must lack common sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts