Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
198 Posts
Honda has already made this compromise "recall but no recall" agreement on their vehicles.
With many complaints from their Acura customers, Honda was faced with the same Idle Stop issues on their AWD TLX, which coincidentally shares the the same J35Y6 3.5 engine, the same ZF9 transmission, the same electronic push-button transmission control, and the same H6 AGM battery as it installed on the Passport/Pilot/Ridgeline. Honda is finally offering the same software 'solution', but only after many similar complaints from P/P/R owners and waiting another year before HondaCorp decided to include Passport/Pilot/Ridgeline in it's 'recall but no recall' solution.

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Rectangle

Interesting that even though Honda denies this is a recall, the final instructions of the
Idle Stop Software states:
"Fill out a Vehicle Emissions Recall – Proof of Correction certificate, and use SC8 as the recall number. Have the service consultant give the certificate to your client and advise them to keep it as proof that the recall was completed." :unsure:

· Registered
198 Posts
jasonpp, The previous Honda/Acura TSB 22-008 required dealership service, (.2 hour labor), it's not a simple over-the-air software update

Hopefully Honda will offer to also extend their warranty on the starter to 10-years like they did to 'correct' the same problem on the TLX. See attachments

Attachments

· Registered
198 Posts
And yes some the fault can be pointed to the owner. Even before this technology I (and many others) were using battery maintainers to keep our battery/charging systems in functioning order.

Bottom line is maintaining our batteries (regardless of brand) goes a long way to preventing a large number of failures that forum members are claiming.
I would never assume it is normal for a new vehicle owner to assume they are responsible to purchase a battery maintainer and to regularly attach it to their vehicle in order to avoid being stranded with a no start situation.

We purchased a Passport and assume our regularly driven new vehicle (still under manufacturer warranty & following all manufacturer recommended maintenance schedules) should be reliable and dependable enough to get my family to their local destinations without fear of break down or failure to start, period.

I cannot find any reference, requirement, or maintenance recommendation by Honda, either in their 600+ page Owners Manual, the 200+ page Owners Guide, or Honda site owners.honda.com that specifies the need or advises use of a battery maintainer in order to reliably operate a Honda vehicle. :unsure:

Note: I own both Noco Genius and Battery Tender brand battery maintainers, and use them during extended storage of our snowmobiles and atv, not on our Passport.
Sky Cloud Outerwear Snow Mountain
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
198 Posts
I will respectfully have to disagree in regards to your arguments and rebuttals toward me. No vehicle is perfect. However, these Honda mechanical problems are getting blown way out of proportion. 5 NHTSA complaints (none for the stop start feature) for a 2022 Passport is not representative of the 10's of thousands that have rolled off the assembly line.

I'm not discounting the fact that there are a few of these having issues with re-starting in traffic. I will be in line at the dealer for the update if I get the letter.
Time to get in line . . .
Likely your 2022 Passport is one of the 10's of thousands that rolled off the assembly line with this same problem?? :unsure:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts