Honda Passport Forum banner

Auto Idle Stop Override

74K views 143 replies 41 participants last post by  carpayments4life 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I did this to my 2019 Honda Passport Elite and it works great. Read to link below several times to let everything sink in. The 2019 information is towards the end of the link article. Parts are very common and readily available. Parts procurement is referenced in the link.

The link: Automatic Auto Idle Stop System set to Off by default ver 3 (Detailed) (see post no, 20 by MtMan in link).

12V brown wire info:::: use the 12v on the console accessory plug. The diagram is absolutely correct. For everyone that hasn't done this yet, the brown wire is located on the bottom of the console- (see post no. 27 by synstsia in link). also referenced below.

This is where you get your 12v+ from.

This is how to wire your board to the wires. FRM01 board,

This is the plug that connects to the Auto Idle Stop button in the console and the plug referenced above in the FRM01 picture.

The FRM01 board is a programmable board. When you push the start engine button on the car the board will wait 5 seconds (programmable) giving the engine time to start, then click the relay on the FRM01 board for 1 second which is the same as you pushing the Auto Idle Stop button on the console. The Auto Idle Stop buttons on the console still works to activate and deactivate the Auto Idle Stop features of the Passport.

See less See more
#2 ·
AFAICT our Auto Stop has never worked, so I'm interested to see if this works to turn it on! It would have been at the Dealer that the hood-open-start-close had been done since I don't think we've ever tried that ourselves.

#14 ·
Source of the OP's procedure is from a Piloteers thread? Not clear if the procedure works? It was entertaining reading on the last page of the thread when it became an IP dispute and then the thread was locked. :LOL:
Thanks for the link. Very interesting thread. Didn’t realize so many Pilot owners were having the stalling problem. It’s just amazing that there’s no way to disable the “feature” if we don’t want to use it. Damn government is really overstepping on this one.

#5 ·
Just tried it and it worked. Wife and I are going out later, will have to see it it continues to work. A hard press on the brake when at a complete stop shows a message that the auto stop function is not available.

#9 ·
Well that was short lived. As I stated earlier my wife and I were heading out to take care of a few things which entailed about a 25 mile round trip. I would say for probably the first half dozen stops the auto stop didn't engage, but that was about it. The PP's annoying habit is back. :mad:(n)

#10 ·
I've notice in both our Hondas (PP, Ody) that there are times when auto stop seems to not stop; I suppose there are certain conditions that must first be met and we're not satisfying those restrictions.

One item that I have IDd is sometimes (while sitting at a light) I'll see a dash message saying if I want it to auto-stop then I need to apply greater pressure on the brake. When I do it will shut down.

To me it (auto-stop) is a wonderful 'habit' - and Honda did provide you an over-ride function.

#11 ·
The hood trick only worked on the 2016 Pilot. The short the green and yellow wire trick which can cause occasional CEL is only on the 2017-2018 Pilot. Passport has different wiring setup which is similar to the 2019+ Pilot.

Piloteers have a timer circuit board option which simulates pushing the disable button. Note:Orange light still comes on the dash display. Passport owners need to go to post #20 for correct wiring diagram for them. Personally, I just by habit while pressing the shifter button, also press the auto-idle off button. No big deal, I'm already there pushing buttons.

#16 ·
Gray Beard what year vehicle do you have. I wonder of some of the is year specific. Mine is a 2019 Passport and best I can tell the method did not work. It worked until I restarted the vehicle at a later time. Maybe the computer rebooted after a timeout period??????
I have a 2019 Elite built in September. As I stated in a later post it reverted back, so maybe it is linked to a time out period. I too push the disable button along with the shift. I just think having a feature that will turn our engine off while on the road is a recipe for a disaster. It is also my understanding that the auto stop feature is to save fuel and not an emissions issue. Ask a person with a Pilot if having stalling issues while in traffic and damn near getting killed is worth a thimble's worth of gas. The default should be off and you can push a button to give yourself a feel good moment that your saving the world. The US emissions standards are stick enough. If we could get China and India to give a damn about air pollution the world would be a 100 times better off. Apologize for the rant and will now get off my soapbox.

#18 ·
I posted a method that I thought worked however, next time I got into the car I was back to the way it was. Sorry my solution did not work. I see the same results on different internet post.
They're easy to find scientific studies on this. People who do not smoke and have never smoked are getting lung diseases that only smokers used to get, and science has pointed to pollution from automobile exhaust pipes. People don't want to know because they love their cars.

search for "auto exhaust and respiratory problems"
Theres actually a yellow wire under the console you need to unplug and put it in same plug with green wire

#22 ·
There is no Green wire on the 2019 Passports ASS plug...One side of the plug has black/grey/empty/black and the other side has red/yellow/empty/blue...
Why are you looking for a Green wire? Passport uses the Yellow and a Black wire. Go to Posts #18 and #20 in below link for wiring diagram for the 2019 Pilot. Passport is the same as 2019 Pilot.

#21 ·
Maybe our Auto Stop is actually working as my wife, when I grilled her about going-out on Thursday with it, said she noticed some sort of hesitation on commence-from-stop that might have been the engine restarting. I recall our sales rep was fuzzy about describing the effect i.e. he said it was not easy to notice it.

I drove the PP exactly once when we went-out with it specifically so I could fiddle with it, and I could not get Auto Stop to work, though now that I've joined PP forums I think I simply might not have been depressing the brake pedal hard enough!

As for "global warming" I have always thought drive-ups should be banned. Still do, to be honest. Lazy people sitting on their butts waiting for their Big Macs polluting the environment. Eventually we will all have electric cars and then I won't be so grumpy about it any more.

:D

#25 ·
The assertion that auto idle stop is some great environmental boon is far fetched. It is a technology that saves a minuscule amount of fuel and emissions at great cost and is forced on us only because MPG is being legislated but owners still want powerful engines. Same as VCM, extremely minimal impact. Even the 9 speed transmissions in many cars are little improvement, and at great expense of reliability and performance (hesitation, sluggishness, difficult mountain manual shifting, or worse- failures). Combined, all 3 of these things increase economy by maybe 1 or 2 MPG in the most ideal conditions- like when the car is dropped out of a cargo plane heading straight down at terminal velocity (kidding on the plane part, obviously). Other older SUVs with the same curb weight achieve the same or better MPG without these technologies, and emissions content is not moving much as all modern cars from about 2014 up are getting better at what they actually emit. So, are these technologies really so magical, or wishful thinking? If you cannot backup your claim with real sources or calculations, you are speculating. Lazily pointing people to the "look it up, I'm right" approach is disingenuous and shows subjectivity.

So, in turn I will speculate:

Idle stop for even urban driving is equivalent to taking an emitting car off the road for maybe a few minutes a day. Millions of idle stop cars are equivalent to maybe tens of thousands of cars off the road, but that tiny emission difference is spread far and wide geographically, and pollution disperses as it is reacted by our atmosphere and sun. So no single area sees a marked improvement that can be easily boiled down to saving lives. All this grasping technology for tiny improvements is at the significant expense of owners in modern nations paying for more robust starters, very costly deep cycle battery, increased engine wear, etc, more frequent oil changes in some cases. A very expensive way to get almost nothing. To claim that such a tiny effect spread out all over is saving lives is tenuous without thorough calculation of the effect in our real world system.

Meanwhile, there are massive and easy sources of pollution we could be going after with improved infrastructure (which would REALLY take car hours off the road) or emerging tech like all electric cars, or semis with battery banks so they don't have to idle all night at truck stops, or changing culture and urban layouts so we drive less.

I'm all for reduced emissions, but it needs to be reasonable gains and not cost and performance prohibitive, and the current technology is just that. People familiar with GOOD engineering know that going after the big fish, the 80-90% of the desired effect before good performance to cost ratios fall off makes more sense than grasping for tiny improvements at great expense (diminishing returns).

Done speculating, but for my money there are WAY smarter and less annoying ways to reduce emissions and improve fuel economy.

#27 ·
Done speculating, but for my money there are WAY smarter and less annoying ways to reduce emissions and improve fuel economy.

Perhaps you should market those products/ ideas and get rich.
As for me I'm in no way inconvenienced by auto shut off (nor econ mode).
I'm working on other products already, don't know if I'll ever get rich though. :)

To each their own, I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything or diminish enjoyment of the vehicle, just pointing out that there are drawbacks of these techs to some users and it is clear the MPG gains are minimal.

I do like Eco, I use it unless I need more rapid throttle response as it is the most fuel efficient mode and very predictable. I'll even use Idle Stop when traffic is light and I'm not deep in the city where the light timing lets like 2 cars go on green. The Idle Stop and VCM to me come on at unwanted times and can both cause unexpected hesitation as can the nine speed transmission in certain scenarios. I do wish they let these all be user defined memory settings, then we could all be happy!

#30 ·
I have a 2019 Honda Passport Elite and found this link on the Honda Pilot Forum and it worked great. There are several other reported successes in the link.
Read link several times to digest everything. Automatic Auto Idle Stop System set to Off by default ver 3 (Detailed)
So you have done this JD? Did you use Quick Splice connectors (the pinching kind I think)?

Guess I'm a bit troubled to stick a $13 dollar part into our Passport but it looks pretty slick.

#32 ·
I'm a little confused. And forgive me for not knowing the answer to a seemingly easy question - doesn't the Passport have a button on the dash to disable Auto Stop?

(I joined this forum because I'm considering getting a Passport when my Grand Cherokee lease is up) My Jeep, and many other cars I've driven, have what we call an "Avengers Button" (looks like the Avengers logo...) to turn off the engine stop feature.

It's a relatively easy procedure 1.) start car 2. push button. Every time. 'Not really a big deal...

#38 ·
Guess I should proof read? SOSS
Start
Off
Seatbelt
Shift

Just a flow I follow when starting my Passport. Your hand moves quite easily through those motions each time you fire up the machine.:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.