Honda Passport Forum banner
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased and installed this over the weekend...Took about 30 minutes...Don't let their install directions scare you...All connections can be made under the shifter console...I used pin #7, the brown wire, the only brown wire in the small 14 pin terminal for the 12 V. key feed...I installed a eye terminal on their Gd. wire and attached it to the mental structure beside the 14 pin terminal...You then attach their yellow wire to the yellow wire on the Auto start/stop button...Your done...Works perfectly...upon start up it automatically turns the ASS off...If you want the ASS to work you just push the button to reactivate it...larryd
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
2019 Honda PassPort Touring AWD, silver, hitch, running boards
9 Posts
I have a 2019 Elite built in September. As I stated in a later post it reverted back, so maybe it is linked to a time out period. I too push the disable button along with the shift. I just think having a feature that will turn our engine off while on the road is a recipe for a disaster. It is also my understanding that the auto stop feature is to save fuel and not an emissions issue. Ask a person with a Pilot if having stalling issues while in traffic and damn near getting killed is worth a thimble's worth of gas. The default should be off and you can push a button to give yourself a feel good moment that your saving the world. The US emissions standards are stick enough. If we could get China and India to give a damn about air pollution the world would be a 100 times better off. Apologize for the rant and will now get off my soapbox.
The dealer told me that there is a regulation that requires car manufacturers to have the "feature' on by default. No idea if it is true but it's now the second button I push when I start my car. Scotty Kilmer said on his Youtube channel that even though they install bigger starters, it will go out earlier than when you don't use it. I'm no expert but think it is annoying so I always turn it off.

·
Registered
2017 BMW X1 (for now)
25 Posts
The dealer told me that there is a regulation that requires car manufacturers to have the "feature' on by default. No idea if it is true but it's now the second button I push when I start my car. Scotty Kilmer said on his Youtube channel that even though they install bigger starters, it will go out earlier than when you don't use it. I'm no expert but think it is annoying so I always turn it off.
Might be true if the car company wants to receive full credit for whatever environmental-related incentive the government offers. However, new BMWs have ASS and it stays off as long as you want it, so it can’t be a hard regulation.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,539 Posts
This is WHY...I have to fold my mirrors to fit my Passport to fit in my garage with NO junk!

Maybe you could not be so judgmental before you think you understand peoples WHY...
Not all of us are fortunate like you to have a 2+ car garage to fit our Passport without folding the mirrors!

Reactions: pshadoa

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,539 Posts
Thanks Tomupnorth and Carpayments4life.

We put him in time out to see if his toddler behavior changes.
And it’s not that he trolled just me, it was every post he’s had was negative and condescending.

~ Heather

Reactions: tomupnorth

·
Registered
689 Posts
Might be true if the car company wants to receive full credit for whatever environmental-related incentive the government offers. However, new BMWs have ASS and it stays off as long as you want it, so it can’t be a hard regulation.
It is not true that in new BMWs one is able to disable ASS and it stays off. I have a new BMW and I can disable ASS, but it reactivates next time the vehicle is started. A few years ago the dealer was able to deactivate it permanently, but no more.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The beauty of all of this Auto Start "technology" is that it's mostly propaganda. It improves MPG by only the smallest amount.

• people who drive mostly highway; nothing.
  • people in the winter, who need the heater to make heat - disable Auto Start.
  • people in warmer climates, who need A/C - disable Auto Start.

... which leaves very few driver who allow it to work "as intended".

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here are a few more from the idlestopper site;

Increased Engine Wear

The auto idle stop system causes added wear to all parts of your engine's valve train.
The starting of your engine is hard on moving parts that require lubrication due to lack of oil for the valve train and bearings until the oil pump pressurizes.

A normal car without automatic stop-start can be expected to go through up to 50,000 stop-start events during its lifetime
But with automatic stop-start being activated every time the car comes to a standstill, the figure rises dramatically, perhaps to as many as 500,000 stop-start cycles over the engine’s life.
Battery

Starting and stopping so many times will put extensive wear on your vehicle's battery and starting system. AGM batteries are required for the auto idle stop system. AGM batteries are 3x the cost of a regular battery and causing premature wear from many starts can lead to early battery replacement and wasted money.
Possible Safety Issues

Have you ever been stuck at a stoplight because your auto idle stop didn't restart? It happens and it can be dangerous especially during rush hour!

When needing to make a sudden acceleration you must wait for the engine to restart and it could possibly cause an accident due to the delay in response time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the link. Very interesting thread. Didn’t realize so many Pilot owners were having the stalling problem. It’s just amazing that there’s no way to disable the “feature” if we don’t want to use it. Damn government is really overstepping on this one.
Try this-Works great!

·
Registered
2020 Passport Sport
45 Posts
I did this to my 2019 Honda Passport Elite and it works great. Read to link below several times to let everything sink in. The 2019 information is towards the end of the link article. Parts are very common and readily available. Parts procurement is referenced in the link.

The link: Automatic Auto Idle Stop System set to Off by default ver 3 (Detailed) (see post no, 20 by MtMan in link).

12V brown wire info:::: use the 12v on the console accessory plug. The diagram is absolutely correct. For everyone that hasn't done this yet, the brown wire is located on the bottom of the console- (see post no. 27 by synstsia in link). also referenced below.

View attachment 5456
This is where you get your 12v+ from.

View attachment 5453
This is how to wire your board to the wires. FRM01 board,

View attachment 5455
This is the plug that connects to the Auto Idle Stop button in the console and the plug referenced above in the FRM01 picture.

The FRM01 board is a programmable board. When you push the start engine button on the car the board will wait 5 seconds (programmable) giving the engine time to start, then click the relay on the FRM01 board for 1 second which is the same as you pushing the Auto Idle Stop button on the console. The Auto Idle Stop buttons on the console still works to activate and deactivate the Auto Idle Stop features of the Passport.
Thanks for the layout I did this on my 2020 sport AWD and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Installed in 10 minutes the plug and play idlestopper module on one of our passports today. Hardest part was re-inserting the T shaped plug back into slot.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know you probably don't want to hear it, but:
S - Start
S - Seatbelt
O - Off (auto idle shutoff)
S - Shift;

A very simple flow procedure to end your frustration over the auto idle shutoff. AND, it doesn't cost a penny and won't possibly void your warranty. Just sayin! :cool:

Reactions: HarveyW

·
Registered
2020 Passport Sport
45 Posts
I know you probably don't want to hear it, but:
S - Start
S - Seatbelt
O - Off (auto idle shutoff)
S - Shift;

A very simple flow procedure to end your frustration over the auto idle shutoff. AND, it doesn't cost a penny and won't possibly void your warranty. Just sayin! :cool:
Or people can do what they want. And you posted the same thing 4 times in this thread. Just saying! :cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Or people can do what they want. And you posted the same thing 4 times in this thread. Just saying! :cool:
And you are absolutely right, just saying. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally broke down and bought the idlestopper. It works flawlessly. The only downside to the product is the actual installation. Anyone who can easily get their hand into the area of the console that houses the one connector must have hands the size of a gerbil. I struggled for some time trying to disconnect the connector. Hint: If you are not a gerbil, put some electrical tape around the rim of the area to avoid numerous cuts to the hand.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Subbed. Going to wire this ASS module up this week. I’ve already removed the center console a couple times for hiding and removing dash cam wiring so that’s a 2 min job now. The rest seems pretty straight forward. This forum rocks for DIY and modders

·
Registered
53 Posts
Success! I was able to hook up the module with case and the ASS now turns off after 5 seconds. Turns back on and off immediately on button press.

Notes:
1) Program the module as explained in the OP. It automatically has a 5 second timer, but for pressing the ASS button again it did not turn back on. It might have been because the programming has a 5 second timer to reverse? Maybe. But just program it as explained to set 5 second timer, then 1 second button press and function 3. Default was function 1..
2) There is an audible "click" after the 5 sec count down that hits the ASS switch to turn off. It only happens once, on the initial boot. It's not too loud but it is a relay click sound. Doesn't happen when pushing the button manually on the center console.
3). It's easier to remove the harness from their connector. Both are a simple press and pull to release.
4) The brown wire on the lower harness has a tighter space to stick in a wire, but it can be done. I used 16awg wire since it was what I had and it still fit fine with some trying.
5) I used double sided tape and electrical tape to secure the module on the metal frame.
6) I used a zip tie to attach the module wires to the stock wiring to help prevent much movement. Then I put some electrical tape around the the harness ends.
7) Job took about 25 min and another 20 min inside to cut, splice, and wire up.

One less thing to worry about. This was 100% reversable. No stock wiring was cut/tapped/spliced or anything.

View attachment 11897 View attachment 11898 View attachment 11899 View attachment 11900

101 - 120 of 125 Posts