Honda Passport Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is definitely a mod I am considering unless I can get into the habit of always turning it off. I'm going to give it a month or two, the feature drives me crazy...

·
Registered
441 Posts
After a year of owning my 2019 Passport, I remember to turn off the Auto-stop about 95% of the time when I start the engine. I'd like it if there was a simple way to defeat it permanently but I'm not going to tear into the shifter area to get to the switch and do a major rewiring job.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I (do) did turn the Auto Idle Stop off about 95 percent of the time. After running some errands I forgot and came to a stop light. The light changed, the traffic cleared, and it was my time to go. It scared the hell out of me as Auto Idle Stop was engaged. With the relay board installed no worries.
My experience is totally different - once I release the brake yet before my foot touches the go pedal - my engine is up to speed. No delay, no fears.
Additionally (as I recall) simply turning the steering wheel will automatically restart the engine.

Y'all are making a big deal out of nothing.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steele
408 Posts
Habits are easy to develop with a little practice. S.B.S.O.S.M.
Sit
Buckle
Start
Off
Shift
Mirrors out.

No gizmos to install, no parts to disassemble, and no worries about screwing the pooch by messing with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
I (do) did turn the Auto Idle Stop off about 95 percent of the time. After running some errands I forgot and came to a stop light. The light changed, the traffic cleared, and it was my time to go. It scared the hell out of me as Auto Idle Stop was engaged. With the relay board installed no worries.
I don't care for the Auto-off feature either, it bothers me most when I am first at a 4-way stop and it's my turn to go, others are waiting and the car slightly stumbles forward as it restarts! Lucky for me, I have been blessed with a pain-free right arm and fingers that can find the auto-off button without looking. And even better is there is NO extra cost involved when performing this. If I am the first car at a signal, my natural driving tendency is to be alert as to when I am going to get the green light and let off the brake as to let the car start, so I can go on time, it keeps my wits keen and being an alert driver is a good thing, in my book.

My thoughts echo Gryohonslair's and Wrascal's in that I do not hate it enough to throw a bunch of extra money at it, make some wiring changes that could possibly do more harm than good and I am too lazy to do that extra work that would be involved.

My question to you jdjonesiii, is that it seems like nearly all your forum posts are only in this thread, which leads me to believe either:
  • you are extremely passionate about this topic OR
  • you have a vested interest in the company that is marketing it
Care to tell which is it?

Cheers!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't perceive it as hostility, rather differing views on dealing the inconvenience.

I've long had the philosophy that something I own, that costs as much as vehicles cost these days, I don't play fool around with the manufactures warranted stuff. Once it's out of warranty it's all fair game. Since the Passport is only in it's second year of rebirth they should all be under warranty. I can't see giving Honda a reason to refuse to cover something under warranty because I screwed around with the mechanics of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Steven D, super moderator,
Just a guy who tried something that worked. I don't quite get the negative push back from some of the post but so be it. I am a retired engineer. I have the knowledge, tired something that worked and presented it. The FMR01 board had been around forever, probably made in China, and is readily available. I hope this clears things up for you.
Yeah, I was just asking, if you owned the company, it won't bother me one bit, if you perceived that as negative, I am sorry, feel free to keep posting here, they may be some people that like the idea of permanently disabling that function...
Cheers!

·
Registered
408 Posts
(y)(y) Until the planes lands realizing he forgot to put his landing gear down..;;;;
Thus the purpose for good habits over bad habits. Pull into the garage is O.F.L.S.P.O.U.E.
Open garage door
Fold in the side mirrors
Line up the vehicle with he laser parking indicator
Stop at the appropriate spot
Put the vehicle into Park
Off with the engine
Unbuckle the seat belt
Exit the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Thus the purpose for good habits over bad habits. Pull into the garage is O.F.L.S.P.O.U.E.
Open garage door
Fold in the side mirrors
Line up the vehicle with he laser parking indicator
Stop at the appropriate spot
Put the vehicle into Park
Off with the engine
Unbuckle the seat belt
Exit the vehicle.

I sense that someone has WAAY too much time on their hands...lol

·
Registered
408 Posts
I sense that someone has WAAY too much time on their hands...lol
Nope, someone that learned the value of doing the same thing every time during 34 years on the job. You instinctively do what you train.

Prime example. I go to a public gun range and see people unloading revolvers into their hand, to save their brass. Bad Idea unless all you are interested in is putting holes in paper. A critical situation comes along and in the moment they will do the same thing because they trained themselves to do so.

Which is why I rarely visit the public range. Instead I go to our range where the range is always hot and practice is always tactical. That's one of the perks in retirement. I have to provide my own ammo these days but I have free access to the range except when Recruits are being trained.

That's one of the reasons the modification doesn't appeal to me, I instinctively turn off Auto Stop every time I enter the vehicle.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts