Honda Passport Forum banner

Audio Setup

13K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Wrascal 
#1 ·
Have been getting things set to my preferences. Getting presets on various stations, arranging icons in the order I want, and exploring the playback functions. I am liking the functionality and am amazed at how many things this system will perform. Now that I have basics it's time to move to CarPlay.

#2 ·
Nice, after reading about all the disgruntled Pilot Premium Stereo owners, I'm relived that the 3 or 4 reviews I've read on the Passport Premium Stereo have ALL been positive...

Siri, play Changes by David Bowie....!

#4 ·
Yep, I heard one today, plenty of bass and clear & loud, well balanced and lots of sound swirling about...!

#5 ·
The 550 watt system is probably the best stock audio I have heard in anything I have tested. I am somewhat of an audiophile. For me , this would be the only reason to step up to the touring trim. Sport and xle systems are ok but there is a difference.

If you test it, take your time to play with the audio settings to get it to your liking.

I listened to some Earth Wind and Fire while testing. Sounded excellent!

I also did not find it very difficult to learn the infotainment system.

#20 ·
The 550 watt system is probably the best stock audio I have heard in anything I have tested. I am somewhat of an audiophile. For me , this would be the only reason to step up to the touring trim. Sport and xle systems are ok but there is a difference.
If you test it, take your time to play with the audio settings to get it to your liking.
I agree, also being somewhat of an audiophile a good sound system is important to me, and I don't want to go aftermarket to get one. The Passport Touring system sounds great. Plenty of bass with the subwoofer.
I also had a 2017 Ridgeline RTL-E and the Passport audio system is definitely better.

#6 ·
We did not spend a lot of time looking, but the first Saleswoman and I could NOT locate the subwoofer. The second salesman said it was on the passenger side behind the sort-of inner rear wheel section (in the back)...

This will sound wacky, but when we turned the sub ALL the way up, it sound like it was coming from the dashboard (top and below)...

Anyone know for sure?

#8 ·
Have you seen it?

#10 ·

Have you heard a Harmon Kardon system in a Subaru or Acura ELS?

#14 ·
We did not spend a lot of time looking, but the first Saleswoman and I could NOT locate the subwoofer. The second salesman said it was on the passenger side behind the sort-of inner rear wheel section (in the back)...

This will sound wacky, but when we turned the sub ALL the way up, it sound like it was coming from the dashboard (top and below)...

Anyone know for sure?
I believe that the sub sound is non-directional.

#15 ·
I believe that the premium sound system is the same system that you would find in the upper models of the Pilot. I owned a 2016 Pilot Elite, and that system delivered a lot of sound at a low volume, the base wasn’t over bearing. The sound stage that is created with the front, side, back and center speakers.. The subwoofer fills in the gaps with its low frequency sounds. I am sure that there is better out there but, I truly think that my ears couldn’t tell the difference.

#16 · (Edited)
The problem with Honda/Acura sound systems (top end and ELS) is that the setup is very traditional. Tweeter up top. Door woofer are mid-range. And center channel is mid-range as well, but smaller.

The problem is that the sound is very DIRECTIONAL and side-bias. Whatever side you sit on is where you will hear more sound from that door. Sound stage is not very good because most sound comes from the tweeter/midrange that is closest to you.

And then the bass. Like traditional systems, bass is pushed all the way to the back cargo area. The front door speakers do not handle much bass at all.

Yes, bass is non-directional...but you have to crank the bass up quite a bit to even feel/hear it. And then the rear passenger will hear mostly bass because the rear door speakers are muted by design.

I have 2015 Acura MDX with ELS. Nice system but not all that good at staging and bass is hit or miss. The same goes for Acura KRELL...great sounding but bad staging.

This is why most high end systems now have tweeter/midrange in the dash pointing up at the windshield...this allows better dispersion of midrange and high frequencies thru out cabin...and also for far better staging. The front door woofers in these systems are for BASS only...small free-air subwoofers...to give more even bass to the front passengers...thus, front passengers get nice bass without relying on cranking up the sub in cargo area. Then the cargo area subwoofer is mainly for back passenger...and since the front doors handle bass as well, the rear cargo sub does not have to be cranked up. The rear doors in these systems are just muted full range speakers for staging for rear passengers.

Acura/Honda needs to adopt the newer setups.

#17 ·
The new Passport has some settings where you can tell the system if the driver is the only person in the car or if there is a passenger and it will adjust the sound stage accordingly, not sure what the Bass crossover is set too, I may try to bring some DDD recordings on a flash drive next time...

#23 ·

Play suit and tie by timberlake. Not one of my normal songs but my kids like it. When the bass hit, it was awesome! Be sure to turn it up!

#24 ·
Just got my 2020 Elite today! Loving it.
I have had very limited time to play with Audio but looked like the only real options were treble, mid, and bass. And a subwoofer setting? I felt like treble needed to be all the way up and bass about 3/4 and subwoofer about middle. Anything else seemed to bassy.

I am curious as to what everyones audio setup preferences are? Where do u set treble, mid, bass, sub etc...?

#26 ·
Just got my 2020 Elite today! Loving it.
I have had very limited time to play with Audio but looked like the only real options were treble, mid, and bass. And a subwoofer setting? I felt like treble needed to be all the way up and bass about 3/4 and subwoofer about middle. Anything else seemed to bassy.

I am curious as to what everyones audio setup preferences are? Where do u set treble, mid, bass, sub etc...?
Hello Barley, I too was very impressed with the stock Touring/Elite stereo system...UNTIL I upgrade the front & rear door speakers and front and rear tweeters. If you want audiophile -caliber sounds, then this is a must, have a look ate my Touring/Elite Upgrade thread in the Audio forum..

As far as the exact audio settings, I think it is a matter of personal preference and the type of music you listen too, I find myself dialing the sub, bass, treble or mid-range up and down depending on the recording I'm listening too.

oh, and welcome and congrats on your purchase...!

#27 · (Edited)
I'm running a completely stock Elite - yet feels it's sound is very acceptable.
For comparisons my home sound is driven by Carvers and original Polk 60 Monitors, all of (now forgotten) ancient age.

Noted exception: I very recently lost my left channel; I don't know if the failure is in the CT-17 preamp or the TFM-45 amp. Allowing that they're 30+ years old I accept that.

Since my home puter system And my TV system both have decent specs/ speakers I've not yet worried about fixing it.

This is an old pic but basically what I run:

#29 ·
Hey Wrascal, I don't see an 8-Track player?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.