Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at about every midsize suv you name it the CX9, Grand Cherokee, Subaru Ascent, Pilot, Highlander, Santa Fe, CX-5, Forester, Sorento but I've narrowed my list down to the CX9, Ascent, Passport, and Telluride. Then down to the Passport and Telluride. They both have the size and aggressive looks for what I'm looking for and predicted reliability.

But I was wondering is anyone else deciding between the 2? Any reasons you aren't or are or never considered the Telluride?

I'm comparing the Telluride S trim AWD to the Passport EXL AWD. Test driven both of them, the passport a few times and the Telluride once this past weekend.

KiaTellurideForums.com - The Largest Kia Telluride Forum, Community And Owner's Club

·
Registered
34 Posts
In the exact same boat! Haven’t test driven either, though. Still scared to over pay. I’m between the Touring AWD or EX AWD.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In the exact same boat! Haven’t test driven either, though. Still scared to over pay. I’m between the Touring AWD or EX AWD.
I got a chance to test drive the Telluride EX AWD if you have any questions. Engine has a really nice sound to it. Very room, maybe a tad not as wide as the passport in between the driver and passenger seats. No arm racheting arm rests on the telluride either. I also might reconsider the CX9 again.

KiaTellurideForums.com - The Largest Kia Telluride Forum, Community And Owner's Club

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been follwing the Telluride to see how it's received. The main thing to me is I don't need the third row so the Telluride looks more like a Pilot competitor than a Passport competitor.

Pros:
Heads Up Display
360 camera
10.25" touch screen
Second row ventilated captains chairs
Phone app remote start

Cons:
Longer and less sporty looking due to third row
Interior trim looks busy (Black Plastic + Wood + Brushed Metal + Piano Black all in one dashboard)
I don't think the AWD system has the same torque vectoring as iVTM4/SH-AWD
Not sure about resale value

Generally it looks like probably a more spacious and comfortable ride, but I still like the general looks and style of the Passport interior/exterior better. Kia would do well to pull a Passport and make a shorter, more aggressive Telluride Sport. Same with Mazda and the CX-9.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am scared of resale value as well, but telluride definetly has move bang for your buck. Actually like the telluride interior better than PP as well, I’m not sure I would like the arm rests vs console.

·
627 Posts
I did not drive the Kia but as above I would be concerned about resale period however if ur going to keep it for a long time maybe resale doesn’t matter // why I would stay with Honda and the PP 😆// I know, no help really but good luck

·
Registered
193 Posts
I sold Kias 18 years ago and just cannot even consider it. And by “sold Kias” I mean stole a few paychecks as a salesman from a dealer that had Kias available for purchase.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I might just be to old and stubborn. I’ve owned every domestic brand, plenty Honda’s and Toyota’s. Even a couple premium flavors. Over 50 vehicles. To this day I have never stepped foot in a Kia or Hyundai dealership. I knew people that ventured that way and said warranty is useless when it never ran right to begin with. One got a new engine that still ran rough. After a year of bitching and trying to get another engine they said the original engine had the 10 year. Replacement only carried 1

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in the same boat. Passport Touring, Suburu Ascent Limited and Kia Telluride EX. Test drove all, except that the Ascent was a short drive at the Cleveland Auto show. I was very impressed with the Ascent, smooth accleration and seemed quick on it's feet (nimble). the Ascent had an impressive interior and the seats seemed comfortable. I enjoyed the smooth and powerful Passport (Elite) and the handling seemed pretty good. The interior was a bit off-putting, mono colored and too much black even with the grey seats. The ride was stiff, but I liked it. The Kia had impressive fit and finish, nice seats, well appointed and lots of tech. I was disappointed in the intiatial hard accleration as there seemed a lag to me. It down-shifted and didn't seem to want to go without me letting up a bit on the accelerator. It was in Comfort mode. I switched to Sport mode and that improved the acceleration, but I feel the shifts were not as smooth as the other two cars. The Kia engine seemed refined, just the transmission was problematic to me. I own a 2015 Highlander XLE 6 cylinder engine which is a terrific car in most ways. I am looking to upgrade to the new safety features offered on cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've looked at about every midsize suv you name it the CX9, Grand Cherokee, Subaru Ascent, Pilot, Highlander, Santa Fe, CX-5, Forester, Sorento but I've narrowed my list down to the CX9, Ascent, Passport, and Telluride. Then down to the Passport and Telluride. They both have the size and aggressive looks for what I'm looking for and predicted reliability.

But I was wondering is anyone else deciding between the 2? Any reasons you aren't or are or never considered the Telluride?

I'm comparing the Telluride S trim AWD to the Passport EXL AWD. Test driven both of them, the passport a few times and the Telluride once this past weekend.
Yes, how did the Telliuride accelerate for you? Was it smooth and refined or did you find some hesitation? I test drove both and that was the concern for me. The Honda was smoother and more refined, but I may have gotten a bad Telluride or it was in the wrong mode.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, how did the Telliuride accelerate for you? Was it smooth and refined or did you find some hesitation? I test drove both and that was the concern for me. The Honda was smoother and more refined, but I may have gotten a bad Telluride or it was in the wrong mode.
There was a little bit of a delay when pulling out onto the road. Like a lag. Are you stuck.between the telluride and passport also? Lol

·
982 Posts
There is someone on here that is on their 16th Honda and while I admire that type of loyalty, I also think that each of our car buying tendencies are shaped by past experience, even more so than the reviews of others.

With that, since the 1970's , I have owned 4 Honda's, a Ford, a GMC, a Chrysler, a couple of BMW's, a Lexus, and a couple of Toyota's (in a pear tree...).

The most reliable of those were the Honda's, Toyota's and the BMW's, so when it came time to buy a off-road capable, 2-row, high-tech, low cost to maintain, SUV, the Passport was the only real choice.

As far as KIA's, Mazda's, Subaru's, Hyundai's and even Nissan's, having never owned one, means I did not fully trust any of them, now I realize this is just a personal preference, but it has served me well thus far and I see no reason to change now...

Cheers...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had four Honda's and one Toyota and my only major repair was a replacement AC compressor on a CRV with 110,000 miles. Too many people I know with Hyundai and Kia problems and resale sucks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As much as I like the new design language of the Telluride I do worry about reliability and depreciation on it. I know that Kia has come a long way over the years and the amount of kit you are getting for the price is fantastic. Better looking than the Palisade too imo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts