Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
This brings up a question I was going to ask. Would a trans cooler extend the life of a trans when not doing any towing? Do you think the additional cost is worthwhile insurance?
I can’t hurt...
I am doing it on my Sport and I only tow a light trailer with 2 bikes...
The transmission will be cooler on long drives.. 600-800 miles round trips 👍

·
Registered
382 Posts
This brings up a question I was going to ask. Would a trans cooler extend the life of a trans when not doing any towing? Do you think the additional cost is worthwhile insurance?
Get a cost for parts and labor, then you can decide. Search this forum for further discussion on the topic. Installation of the trans cooler is not an easy DIY due to the confined space. Some dealers will not allow you to supply your own parts. It will required an additional 1 to 2 quarts of expensive fluid and following proper refill procedure. Be sure the transmission is filled properly.

I had my trans cooler installed by a local dealer. The tech had a difficult time with the install. Realize that the shifting behavior of the transmission may change with the cooler installed, especially when cold.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Short answer is no. The useful life of any component on a vehicle can never be predicted.....That being said, it may aid in prolonging the overall life of the fluid , marginally tho, at best. Anyone here on the forums will always suggest following the normal maintenance intervals for warranty purposes which will also help get "the most" out of the vehicle in terms of useful life.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is exactly why I installed the tranny cooler, not much towing, but lots of off roading on a hot beach. Put the tranny in sand mode and you can feel the difference, the strain on the tranny. So with the cooler added, I have a little insurance and it’s worked out fine.......

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks awesome! Did you use the Sand mode? Can't drive on Southern California beaches, too many people...
Yup, air down to 20 and off we go..... once the weather starts heating up it gets a lot more crowded, but we’re still allowed to drive on the beach. It’s packed on Memorial weekend and hard to find a spot and then we have some piping plower birds that have their mating season and they close off most of the beach for 6 weeks, until the little guys start flying...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts