Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still in the discovery phase.
Was wondering about wiring routes, light bar fit, mounting hardware and brands.

Reactions: Werlyb23

·
Registered
85 Posts
Still in the discovery phase.
Was wondering about wiring routes, light bar fit, mounting hardware and brands.
I planned to do this with a bar I have lying around, however I just got the beast a day ago so haven't had time to look and figure out how yet.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just got a 30" curved light bar from Rough Country off Amazon and I'm planning to inset it into the lower grill. I'll be making my own custom brackets and it will require cutting the louvers. Here's a quick dry fit...

20190427_110139-2016x1134.jpg

20190427_105919-2016x1134.jpg

I started looking for ways to get through the fire wall yesterday and so far I haven't found a good solution, it's pretty packed under the dash and I'm hoping to do the least amount of disassembly possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking at routing the wires inside the fender and thru the drivers door. There’s seems to be a bit of a gap there. I’ve seen where the welcome lights take a similar path at the bottom of the door.

Good luck. I look fwd to your updates.

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
644 Posts
I was looking at routing the wires inside the fender and thru the drivers door. There’s seems to be a bit of a gap there. I’ve seen where the welcome lights take a similar path at the bottom of the door.
If you look at the instructions for the Welcome Lights or Running Board with Lights, there is a cutout with a plug under the driver floor and passenger floor. That is where the wiring comes into the cabin.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got a 30" curved light bar from Rough Country off Amazon and I'm planning to inset it into the lower grill. I'll be making my own custom brackets and it will require cutting the louvers. Here's a quick dry fit...

View attachment 2421

View attachment 2423

I started looking for ways to get through the fire wall yesterday and so far I haven't found a good solution, it's pretty packed under the dash and I'm hoping to do the least amount of disassembly possible.

Thanks. I am hoping to get something in the upper grill area.

Further, what wheels/rims do you have? Love them!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Last night I took the plunge and cut up my front lower grill. This morning I got the first test mounting complete using the brackets that came with the light bar. I'm happy to have the hole in the car filled up, but my instinct was right, I'm going to need to fabricate new brackets to get the light where I want it. The included brackets sit too low and don't offer enough adjustability.

20190429_121040-2016x1134.jpg

20190429_121047-2016x1134.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
can u use spacers??to raise the brakets u have?
That would work if I was using the brackets as the manufacturer intended. The brackets are meant to have the mounting tab facing away from the light. This would leave the mounting bolt head exposed. I like the look of flipping the bracket around so the bracket and hardware hide under the light. In this orientation the low profile bracket it too close to the light for adequate adjustability. A spacer would raise the light but I still couldn’t tilt it up enough. It’s not the fault of the design, just my desire to hide as much of the mounting as possible.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,109 Posts
Hey David, it looks REALLY cool...!

Reactions: DavidCSmithDP

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looks great but the big question for me is, why do you need a light bar on a Passport? I can understand it is someone lives deep in the country or does a ton of off-road driving but for city driving, what is the purpose?

·
Registered
185 Posts
@Treihing for my purpose, the light bar serves two functions, first... I think it looks cool. Let's be honest, that's the reason for a lot of these modifications.

But I do have a practical purpose in that I do actually get my Passport off-road fairly regularly (I'm heading to Anza Borrego this weekend) and I have a low mounted light bar as a relief light to assist in judging the height of obstacles at night. A rooftop bar or a high grill bar will let you see farther which is intended to help in higher speed situations. I'm not running Baja in the Passport so I'm really looking for supplemental lighting to accentuate rocks that are above my available ground clearance. By mounting the bar this low, rocks that are tall enough to cast a shadow are rocks that I need to be careful of. Headlights are designed to be relatively close to the driver's eye line and can cause rocks to blend into the surroundings, the same can be said for roof mounted bars. These low lights also help with seeing in dust and fog, although amber would be a better color choice for that use. They each serve a different purpose.

And they look cool. ?

And it should be said, using lights like this on road is illegal unless the light is DOT approved and technically I should have a cover on these for on road to avoid a potential ticket.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
826 Posts
Last night I took the plunge and cut up my front lower grill. This morning I got the first test mounting complete using the brackets that came with the light bar. I'm happy to have the hole in the car filled up, but my instinct was right, I'm going to need to fabricate new brackets to get the light where I want it. The included brackets sit too low and don't offer enough adjustability.

View attachment 2487
View attachment 2489
Looks great! Well fitting.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
826 Posts

View attachment 2421

View attachment 2423

I checked out the light on Amazon and it doesn’t come with a cover. Are you aware of a cover elsewhere?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts