Honda Passport Forum banner

Another Wheel+Tire changeover...

8K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  stevenD 
#1 ·
Black Rhino 18x8 Overlander wheels. Yokohama Geolander A/T tires in 265/60R18 110H. New lugs and centering rings. These are "matt black" but are shinier than I expected.

Tires juuuust barely touch back of front wheelwell on full lock. I'll hit it with a heat gun and pick up that 1/4" clearance.

They fill out to the edge of the fenders nicely. Ride is smooth and quiet. 17k miles on the car. It performed great on stock wheels/tires on a trip to Steamboat and backcountry, but I like more sidewall and am tired of the 20's banging into rocks and curbs. I went everywhere the guys in 4Runners and pickups went. It now looks like what it can actually do!

See less See more
#2 ·
Dayum, thanks for sharing, this looks so nice!. Now that is what I aspire to acquire for my PP.
could you please tell me what you meant by “hit it with a heat gun”. Also, I’ve read different opinions on the 265 width on an 8” rim. Should there be any concern? Excuse my ignorance on this subject.

#3 ·
Heat gun to soften and bend back the fender liner a bit. It has metal behind it, so you can only curve it a little. Just to create clearance for the tire edge at full lock.

265 on 8" tire is perfectly normal, with a little sidewall. Creates just enough bulge to keep the rim off curbs and rocks. And these tires have plenty of sidewall. Stock tires are 265 on 8.5 wheels, with no sidewall.

#4 ·
Congrats to a fellow California, Passport, Black Rhino owner!
With those black wheels, it's hard to make out the details, how about a close-up?

Reactions: JoeSki
#6 ·
LOL, so what's the trick to attaching a picture that's not as small as a thumbnail but not as big as a billboard?

#5 ·
Excellent choice, the Overlander was one of my top Black Rhino picks. I know what you mean by being a little shinier than you expected. I had Ridgeline wheels black powder coated to 40% gloss thinking they would have a nice satin sheen to them. Still no where close to the OEM high gloss 20s.
Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim

#11 ·
Black Rhino 18x8 Overlander wheels. Yokohama Geolander A/T tires in 265/60R18 110H. New lugs and centering rings. These are "matt black" but are shinier than I expected.

Tires juuuust barely touch back of front wheelwell on full lock. I'll hit it with a heat gun and pick up that 1/4" clearance.

They fill out to the edge of the fenders nicely. Ride is smooth and quiet. 17k miles on the car. It performed great on stock wheels/tires on a trip to Steamboat and backcountry, but I like more sidewall and am tired of the 20's banging into rocks and curbs. I went everywhere the guys in 4Runners and pickups went. It now looks like what it can actually do!
BIG improvement! 👍🏻

As for the rubbing. My custom wheels and tires rubbed maybe 1/16” at a full hard turn, but when do we ever do 360’s anymore? At least not since high school...not even sure they still rub, haven’t looked since I got them in October.

Reactions: Moab Junky
#20 ·
The stock tires are 29.4" tall, my new tires are 30.5" tall also, now conventional thinking would be that the new tires would be 1" higher in the wheel wells, but in actuality, the 1" difference is the circumference, meaning they are only 0.5" taller in the wheel well and 0.5" higher from the center of the hub to the ground, meaning you should have increased your overall clearance by 0.5"...!

Reactions: luisivelez
#22 ·
Thank you SteveD, I just realized I made a mistake, I meant to say not "wider tire", but yes, I meant taller or higher all-around tire! So, in summary, the way the PP is, without cutting any part of the body (wheel well), are those the max specs we can use for tires? or a lift will provide a bit more space like for 32-33" high?

#21 ·
A lift kit doesn't make room for bigger tires*. It only creates more ground clearance down the center of the vehicle. Helps it straddle bigger rocks, and helps with breakover and approach angles.

*At least not on this vehicle. On some cars/trucks, a lift kit makes more room for bigger tires. On a Passport, the tire size limit isn't vertical, it's horizontal. And a lift kit doesn't help that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.