Honda Passport Forum banner

ANC Module Delete

7773 Views 18 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  58HUSTLER
I deactivated the active cylinder management (ACM). Because it's stupid and saves a thimble of gas per tank, at a cost of a wandering cruise control and other problems.

Reportedly, the active noise cancelling (ANC) system exists largely to counter low-frequency sounds that result from ACM engagement. It works through the subwoofer and only reacts to very low frequencies.

Rumor is that it also is the source of the "sporty exhaust note" that the PP has over the Pilot. That all the car reviewers raved about.

So, I unplugged that thing from behind the glove box. I can confirm unequivocally that the ANC is definitely the source of the sporty exhaust note.

The car is much quieter now and less annoying when accelerating. I know some people like that noise...but I like a quiet car.

Ironically, removing the ANC has made the car quieter. Takes 10 minutes and you can do it with a plastic spoon.
Reactions: 4
1 - 4 of 19 Posts
I deactivated the active cylinder management (ACM). Because it's stupid and saves a thimble of gas per tank, at a cost of a wandering cruise control and other problems.

Reportedly, the active noise cancelling (ANC) system exists largely to counter low-frequency sounds that result from ACM engagement. It works through the subwoofer and only reacts to very low frequencies.

Rumor is that it also is the source of the "sporty exhaust note" that the PP has over the Pilot. That all the car reviewers raved about.

So, I unplugged that thing from behind the glove box. I can confirm unequivocally that the ANC is definitely the source of the sporty exhaust note.

The car is much quieter now and less annoying when accelerating. I know some people like that noise...but I like a quiet car.

Ironically, removing the ANC has made the car quieter. Takes 10 minutes and you can do it with a plastic spoon.
what did you use to deactivate the VCM?
Update: Unplugged the ANC unit and plugged it back in. The diagnostic screen now shows "ANC ON" as default instead of "ANC OFF" like it was before, so there was some kind of reset. The fake sound is there again. I have to say it's pretty subtle. Maybe the sport trim with the weaker stereo and old fashioned head unit doesn't make as pronounced of an effect as what you guys are hearing. It's not really night and day. It seems to add a little low-frequency to the engine tone, like it sounds slightly fuller and slightly closer, but not much else. I really wonder if engineers felt it necessary to add more fake engine sound to the quieter, more insulated cabins of the higher trim levels. That being said, this J35 engine does sound pretty great all by itself.

On another note - deactivating VCM, interesting. Never seems to bother me, and I've gotten 29 mpg at ~72mph on a 230 mile highway trip which I attributed to this system (and a super light foot on that particular trip). Do you think it's worthless? How could 3 cylinders not consume less gas than 6?
People aren’t deactivating the VCM for mpg purposes, I think they’re doing it because of the VCM issues that were had in the past. It obviously is a violent enough shake and sound that Honda is using electronic engine mounts and using the ANC system to counteract the sounds of the VCM system. Will anyone have issues down the road resulting from VCM operation? Who knows.. that’s TBD. I would imagine Honda solved those issues of the past.

I don’t run any aftermarket sound equipment in my PP because I think the system sounds fine, so I don’t see the necessity in disabling the ANC with the factory sound system.
Yeah I get that - I've heard of these issues with VCM and was wondering if the savings in fuel economy are really so small that the system is not worth the possible downsides. Agreed on the sound system.
It would be cool to see someone do a comparison test. Hopefully the VCM doesn’t generate problems.
It

It’s funny because I thought the sound system was mediocre at first until I rode in the passenger seat on vacation and noticed there was no sound coming out of the right side speakers. I checked the sound balance between the speakers and found that it was set 100% to the driver’s speaker. Needless to say I corrected it to play equally throughout the vehicle and now it sounds great lol
Does VCM come on in ECO and standard driving modes or only ECO?

In terms of VCM causing issues, much of Honda's reputation is in reliability, and a lot of that is through word of mouth. I find it hard to believe they would implement a system that could undermine this reputation ?. Speaking of reliability, Honda ranked 12th out of 30 brands on the new Consumer Reports car reliability rankings released yesterday, for what it's worth. (Passport was named most unreliable Honda vehicle lol I think by default since it is the newest model.)

Regarding stereo, similar thing happened to me during test drive! Bass and treble were set as low as possible. Thought man this might be a dealbreaker, it sounds horrible. Luckily went in and brought both of them up to flat and was like ahhh ok, I knew it couldn't be that bad lol.
It comes on in all modes. It would have been awesome if it was tied directly to ECON only, so you could have the choice of using it or not.

I agree that Honda, nor any automaker for that matter, would ever implement any system that could cause problems. However when it’s new technology, shit happens, so hopefully they corrected that shit and we are in the clear!

Haha too funny, had I not sat in the passenger seat that time who knows how long it would have taken me to realize the sound was off everywhere else
1 - 4 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.