Honda Passport Forum banner
1221 - 1240 of 1243 Posts

· Registered
902 Posts
This happened to me over the weekend. Audio was crackly and garbled. I thought it was my blue tooth but nope, FM had the problem too. Restarting the engine didn't make a difference either. It has since gone away. I noticed that on the TSB it says the normal warranty applies so I assume that after the 3/36 the TSB won't apply. I have HondaCare but I'm unsure if it will be covered after the 3/36 expires. I had an Accord that had a problem for which there was a TSB but it was past the 3/36 and Honda Care would not cover it. I guess now I have to go to the dealer and play the "could not duplicate" game. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but if they don't fix this before the 3/36 is up, the Passport will be going on the chopping block.

Now I'm reading car complaints and see this has been extended to 5/60 and there is a class action?

Yes Honda has extender the infotainment system warranty to 5 years/ 60k miles. And I think the class action lawsuit has been settled.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue. 2019 Honda Pilot. Sent to dealer 3 times. Each time it was Fakra and re-routing "twisted" cables. I am not sure what the next step would be. Sounds like many are still experiencing recurrent issues even after many attempts to get it fixed. Is anyone in Colorado who had their pilot fixed successfully, and by which dealer?

· Registered
538 Posts
So I drove drove 700 miles to Michigan yesterday and the Audio connection could not be established. Speakers started cutting in an out 50 miles into the trip.:(. So today, I call the dealer to make an appointment but I referenced the service bulletin# 20-058 and said it would be pointless to come in unless they had the parts. They said they wouldn't know. So what are they going to know when I bring it in? They're just disregarding me because they think I'm a stupid customer. I know a tech will have to look at it even though it's a common issue of which my symptoms match but still it's a simple question, do they have the parts or not? What a bunch of morons. No excitement here to have the instrument cluster and the head unit removed. There will probable be some scars form this process. If I get the "cant duplicate" I'm going to dump this Passport. It's not like I love this car. I'm too old to deal with this BS, better to move on. That's the problem these days, if it's not good out of the box you have to deal with incompetence at the dealer level. Resale value on Passports isn't great and I had a deer hit so that will drive the value down further, sucks.

· Registered
902 Posts
So I drove drove 700 miles to Michigan yesterday and the Audio connection could not be established. Speakers started cutting in an out 50 miles into the trip.:(. So today, I call the dealer to make an appointment but I referenced the service bulletin# 20-058 and said it would be pointless to come in unless they had the parts. They said they wouldn't know. So what are they going to know when I bring it in? They're just disregarding me because they think I'm a stupid customer. I know a tech will have to look at it even though it's a common issue of which my symptoms match but still it's a simple question, do they have the parts or not? What a bunch of morons. No excitement here to have the instrument cluster and the head unit removed. There will probable be some scars form this process. If I get the "cant duplicate" I'm going to dump this Passport. It's not like I love this car. I'm too old to deal with this BS, better to move on. That's the problem these days, if it's not good out of the box you have to deal with incompetence at the dealer level. Resale value on Passports isn't great and I had a deer hit so that will drive the value down further, sucks.
The infotainment system stores a code every time it shuts down due to an hardware failure, the dealer can access this under the Dealer Diagnostics menu of the system so if they try to claim - "can't duplicate" it will not pass. Aside that, TSB 20-058 says all 2019-2021 Passport except 19/20 sport are covered for the fix.
Unfortunately you can't avoid the dealer taking apart a good portion of the dashboard to complete the repair, some people even had their floor wire harness replaced when the FAKRA replacement did not work, that involved gutting the entire car to get to the floor harness. Yes, the infotainment popping, crackling issue is a nasty piece of work.

Experience and technical skill level varies from dealer to dealer, if you know any Passport/Pilot owner near you that has had the infotainment system successfully fixed, I suggest using the same dealer they used. If you don't know any other owner near your locale that has had the fix done maybe you can ask on this forum, else use a dealer with a high sale volume and a big service department, they would be more likely to have done several related repairs so more experienced.

· Registered
538 Posts
This dealer is high volume and I've always taken our past Hondas there for warranty work regardless or where they were purchased but there is usually a battle scar after they touch it. Valve cover gasket accord V6 they lost the grommets that hold on the engine cover, CRV transmission replacement they set the torque on the wheels to kill, CRV valve cover gasket replacement I had to bring it back 3 times and they it still leaked, Accord battery replacement they left a battery booster in the back seat... It was so darn annoying to have a call come in and not to be able to hear it. I had to unpair the phone. On car play it started cutting in and out and finally on FM there was nothing at all. Restarting the engine would help but then the sound quality became tinny or distorted. I don't think I've ever had a radio issue ever. There should definitely be some sort of record of this as when set to FM the screen had some sort of message about no audio connection available or established...We had put our 15 year old lab down the night before so this certainly didn't help.

· Registered
902 Posts
With the state of the world and with everyone in a rush or distracted, horrible service is now almost impossible to avoid everywhere, no matter the brand. If not for increased complexity of modern vehicles I'm sure most owners will rather do their own service themselves, that is why I'm still holding on to my 2008 Pilot, anything I can't fix myself can be done at a small local shop where I can hang around the shop floor breathing down the neck of the technician and virtually verifying everything he does. Meanwhile, my wife's 2020 Passport is a whole different story.

Sorry about your lab, at 15 he/she did a few extra years. Sometimes it's better to let family pets go than to watch them suffer.

· Registered
170 Posts
This dealer is high volume and I've always taken our past Hondas there for warranty work regardless or where they were purchased but there is usually a battle scar after they touch it. Valve cover gasket accord V6 they lost the grommets that hold on the engine cover, CRV transmission replacement they set the torque on the wheels to kill, CRV valve cover gasket replacement I had to bring it back 3 times and they it still leaked, Accord battery replacement they left a battery booster in the back seat... It was so darn annoying to have a call come in and not to be able to hear it. I had to unpair the phone. On car play it started cutting in and out and finally on FM there was nothing at all. Restarting the engine would help but then the sound quality became tinny or distorted. I don't think I've ever had a radio issue ever. There should definitely be some sort of record of this as when set to FM the screen had some sort of message about no audio connection available or established...We had put our 15 year old lab down the night before so this certainly didn't help.
Soory about your lab and all these problems!

· Registered
2020 Passport Touring AWD
62 Posts
I have the same issue. 2019 Honda Pilot. Sent to dealer 3 times. Each time it was Fakra and re-routing "twisted" cables. I am not sure what the next step would be. Sounds like many are still experiencing recurrent issues even after many attempts to get it fixed. Is anyone in Colorado who had their pilot fixed successfully, and by which dealer?
In my case it was the dashboard wiring harness that finally fixed the problem (on my Passport). Look further up in this thread, I listed everything that was changed. This was the third dealer visit before they finally got it right.

· Registered
538 Posts
Well, it's going in tomorrow. They mentioned the stop/start recall so we'll see how it goes, I drove 700 miles back from Michigan on Tuesday and no connectivity issues but to me the audio doesn't sound clear or it could just be me.

· Registered
8 Posts
I've been waiting three bloody months for a new amplifier to arrive at my dealership, and we all (me, mechanic and dealership) know that is not going to solve the underlying problem, which is the wiring harness. Dealership won't budge on skipping to replacing the wiring harness because the Honda process is to replace every single piece of the system in order before finally caving and doing the expensive wiring harness replacement. BTW, harness is on long backorder as well anyways, so I expect another long wait after the amplifier replacement fails to alleviate the problem.
This was my first Honda and will definitely be my last.

· Registered
3 Posts
In my case it was the dashboard wiring harness that finally fixed the problem (on my Passport). Look further up in this thread, I listed everything that was changed. This was the third dealer visit before they finally got it right.
Thanks MJD. How did you get all those details - is it documented in your service report? My advisor told me the harness was replaced, but, I don't see it on the service report other than finding twisted cables. I suppose I should take their word for it. But for mine, the problem still recurs. I spoke to the supervisor and he had mentioned Honda has a process to go through to fix things.

· Registered
2020 Passport Touring AWD
62 Posts
Thanks MJD. How did you get all those details - is it documented in your service report? My advisor told me the harness was replaced, but, I don't see it on the service report other than finding twisted cables. I suppose I should take their word for it. But for mine, the problem still recurs. I spoke to the supervisor and he had mentioned Honda has a process to go through to fix things.
Yes, it was on the invoice. Except for a couple of barely noticeable tiny marks by the passenger side on the dash, I presume from whatever tool they used to remove it, can't tell anything was even touched for the major surgery that was done. Problem hasn't returned so I am satisfied.

· Registered
538 Posts
Well, I was unable to take it in on Friday due to a snow storm so my wife used the Passport to go to work. Today I took it in and getting bad vibes. The dealership IMO seemed more concerned about reasons why they couldn't fix it than actually help me. They had an internal questionnaire about audio issues which I filled out but it was skewed from the perspective of which phone you use or if you're using an OEM cable etc. I included a copy of bulletin 20-058 and told the service advisor that these are my symptoms as referenced on the bulletin. I then asked him if they had the parts in stock for the bulletin. He said yes they do but Honda won't approve without a code... This dealership's motto is "they go out of their way to please you" but I'm feeling like they go out of their way to shut me up. If there's no resolution today, I'm going to order a Toyota.

· Registered
902 Posts
Well, I was unable to take it in on Friday due to a snow storm so my wife used the Passport to go to work. Today I took it in and getting bad vibes. The dealership IMO seemed more concerned about reasons why they couldn't fix it than actually help me. They had an internal questionnaire about audio issues which I filled out but it was skewed from the perspective of which phone you use or if you're using an OEM cable etc. I included a copy of bulletin 20-058 and told the service advisor that these are my symptoms as referenced on the bulletin. I then asked him if they had the parts in stock for the bulletin. He said yes they do but Honda won't approve without a code... This dealership's motto is "they go out of their way to please you" but I'm feeling like they go out of their way to shut me up. If there's no resolution today, I'm going to order a Toyota.
Did they even try to check for a code in the infotainment Diagnostic Menu? With the number of problems you've had with it a code or codes should be stored there.

· Registered
538 Posts
Did they even try to check for a code in the infotainment Diagnostic Menu? With the number of problems you've had with it a code or codes should be stored there.
He mentioned they will check for codes when the tech looks at it. Seems that the outcome all rests on whether they see a code or not. The same situation occurred with a CRV we had, a new transmission was contingent on a snapshot code. I just don't like that the service advisor had little interest in what I had to say, very dismissive and didn't take any notes. To him the internal questionnaire was the gospel, for me it was the service bulletin. I did have an error message for FM, Bluetooth and CarPlay last week, so I hope there is something in the memory.

· Registered
2022 EX-L AWD
5 Posts
So I took my Passport in this morning. I explained to them that the only issue I'm having is the occasional flickering/lines on the screen and nothing else. I even informed that it doesn't happen often. After an hour, they told me they couldn't replicate the issue, however upon speaking to Honda tech support, they were told that this is a known issue and they should order and replace the entire infotainment center. They said they'll call me when the part is in. My main concern is ending up with more issues that I started with once they start taking things apart to replace. I know these issues are more prevalent with 2019-2021, but is anyone having major issues with the 2022 model?

Thank you!

· Registered
538 Posts
So I picked it up. They did change the connectors and did the software update for the auto start/stop. So far so good. Then when I got home, there was a panel below the glove box that had two tabs loose and wasn't fitting properly. . Fixed that myself. I played back some dashcam footage and it just reaffirms to me to only take your vehicle into the dealer for warranty/recall work. Fingers crossed that this issue is now resolved.

One thing I noticed, they had a row of new Passports.

· Registered
15 Posts
So I took my Passport in this morning. I explained to them that the only issue I'm having is the occasional flickering/lines on the screen and nothing else. I even informed that it doesn't happen often. After an hour, they told me they couldn't replicate the issue, however upon speaking to Honda tech support, they were told that this is a known issue and they should order and replace the entire infotainment center. They said they'll call me when the part is in. My main concern is ending up with more issues that I started with once they start taking things apart to replace. I know these issues are more prevalent with 2019-2021, but is anyone having major issues with the 2022 model?

Thank you!
I do all the MOST bus repairs that come in. I've only done a couple 22s. Still having twisted and bunched wires from the factory. They do not have the revisions from the bulletin either if I recall correctly...

· Registered
902 Posts
I do all the MOST bus repairs that come in. I've only done a couple 22s. Still having twisted and bunched wires from the factory. They do not have the revisions from the bulletin either if I recall correctly...
There has been so little reports about the MOST issue in the 2022/23 model years compared to the 2019-2021 deluge so I'm assuming the ones you fixed must have been a few that slipped through QC at the ealiest manufacturing dates of the 2022 models. I'm still shocked though.

1221 - 1240 of 1243 Posts