Honda Passport Forum banner
1201 - 1210 of 1210 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks so much for your help. I did call them this morning and will be dropping it off.
I am just following up on this. So in regards to this issue, the dealership said the cables for the amp where very taut and twisted up so they were going to correct that issue. I'll ask for more details when they call me tomorrow upon completion. I had spoken to the service manager and he was very informed on these issues with the passports.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone had their infotainment system just flat out die?

I have a 2019 (Canadian) touring PP. Up until now, I have had none of the reported issues (crackling etc) with the infotainment system. This weekend, started the car and the infotainment system was just flat out dead - black screen and no sign of life. The car still drives fine, but multiple restarts and short drives, the system is still dead. It is scheduled for service in 4 days anyways, but I'd like to go into the dealership with some ideas of what's going on.
Update on my Passport - dealer changed the FAKRA connectors, and head unit gets power but still doesn't work properly. I have been told that they can't jump to directly replacing the whole wiring system for the console, but that they have to try replacing the amplifier first. Which is on backorder... If that fails, they would have to try the wiring harness, which is on even longer backorder until past the end of Dec... I'm so frustrated with this situation. My first Honda and I'm definitely soured on the experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello all-

The infotainment system in my 2020 passport EXL has been replaced/repaired twice already. The MOST cables were replaced along with the head unit.

the cacking / popping sound is back again, worse than ever. During a 4 hour road trip, the cracking sound from the speakers was so bad, I couldn’t even use the am fm radio / CarPlay or any music source. Even with the head unit turned off , I could still hear the loud cracking / popping noise !!!

just curious if anyone experienced 100% success rate with Hondas infotainment repairs.

I have called honda and was told to try another dealership. Not a promising solution. Don’t feel comfortable having the dashboard torn apart for the 3rd time.

Ara

·
Registered
757 Posts
Talk to your dealer about replacing the floor harness instead of just the connectors, the harness runs from the infotainment unit to the amplifier in the rear so replacing it involves taking out the entire interior of the car, but many members here report becoming free from repeated visits to the dealer for infotainment issues only after the floor harness was replaced. The most apparent reason for the harness replacement is because it seems that the harness used by Honda during assembly of the 2019-2021 Passport years is contributing to tension at both the amp and infotainment connectors, the replacement harness is probably longer or or has more flex.

You may also want to note that the expertise at rectifying the infotainment problem differs from dealer to dealer, some members like @stevenD had only one visit to fix the popping/cracking issue and the problem never returned while other have made several visits for rectification at their dealership, I guess that is why Honda wants to you try another dealer.

Additional info on this thread 👇 The thread is one of the longest here so you may want to start reading from the back if you want to read about solutions first.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Touring AWD
58 Posts
Took dealer three tries to get mine right - but it's been about eight months now with no problems - the entire wiring harness needed to be replaced, which involved removing the dash - this is everything I needed to have done:

New wiring harness was installed plus the FAKRA connectors
S/B 16-095, 20-049, 20-058, 21-012, 21-013 all referenced on the work order
16-095 seems to be a Ridgeline service bulletin for wiring harness insufficient shielding, not sure why that one is referenced on the work order
The notes also say "Improper connections on dash wire harness replaced dash harness assembly as per DPSM" and "Replaced faulty FAKRA connectors replaced FAKRA connections in conjunction with dash harness as per DPSM"

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
604 Posts
Update on my Passport - dealer changed the FAKRA connectors, and head unit gets power but still doesn't work properly. I have been told that they can't jump to directly replacing the whole wiring system for the console, but that they have to try replacing the amplifier first. Which is on backorder... If that fails, they would have to try the wiring harness, which is on even longer backorder until past the end of Dec... I'm so frustrated with this situation. My first Honda and I'm definitely soured on the experience.
I feel your pain. Last year between March to August I made 5 trips back to the dealership for repairs. The last trip was replacing the amp and the tuner unit, which fixed the problem. Haven't had any bad situations since, and I really feel like the culprit was the amplifier. I hope this is your situation and after the amp replacement you will be trouble free.

Reactions: stevenD

·
Registered
604 Posts
Just made this replay in "that" lengthy thread: Last year between March to August I made 5 trips back to the dealership for repairs. The last trip was replacing the amp and the tuner unit, which fixed the problem. Haven't had any bad situations since, and I really feel like the culprit was the amplifier.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hello all-

The infotainment system in my 2020 passport EXL has been replaced/repaired twice already. The MOST cables were replaced along with the head unit.

the cacking / popping sound is back again, worse than ever. During a 4 hour road trip, the cracking sound from the speakers was so bad, I couldn’t even use the am fm radio / CarPlay or any music source. Even with the head unit turned off , I could still hear the loud cracking / popping noise !!!

just curious if anyone experienced 100% success rate with Hondas infotainment repairs.

I have called honda and was told to try another dealership. Not a promising solution. Don’t feel comfortable having the dashboard torn apart for the 3rd time.

Ara
I think the admins have moved 🚚 your post and comments under it to the infotainment system problems thread...

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think the admins have moved 🚚 your post and comments under it to the infotainment system problems thread...
LOL, now I have both of my replies in "that" lengthy thread.

Reactions: stevenD and fx_chip

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,748 Posts
Hello all-
Ara
Yep, as @fx_chip , mentioned above, my snap, crackle and popping issues were not super severe and it was obvious to me that it was a connections problem, because when it hit a big bump (like railroad tracks), it would always occur.

I waited a few months, so that the Tech who performed the fixes would have a chance to get some experience fixing other peoples Honda's first. And sure enough, when I did take it in, it was done correct the first time! And that was well over a year or two ago!

I'd be super pissed, if I had a repeat, especially because I have upgraded my stereo system (Amps & Speakers)...

So my recommendation is to talk to the Service Advisor and drill him on exactly WHO is doing the repairs, including how many they have SUCCESSFULLY done, even ask to speak to the guy who is doing the repairs. I really think that they need to do a super job at securing all of the connectors, so that no movement occurs..

1201 - 1210 of 1210 Posts