Honda Passport Forum banner
1181 - 1200 of 1210 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite, Modern Steel Metallic/Black
138 Posts
Sorry to hear. The problem showed itself on my '20 PP Elite around this time last year. At the time I had about 10k miles. When it happened the popping noise was loud as you described. The service manager agree that it would need the replacement MOST cables, but the problem was that they were backordered. Mine finally were installed about 2 months later, and thankfully it's been normal since. Late Sept will mark 2 years of ownership for me and I'm now at 20k miles. I hope yours' works out for the best.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,748 Posts
After the MOST cable recall, the snapping sound came back about 6 months ago. The Honda dealer added some plastic stiffeners to the MOST cables, but as expected that didn't solve the problem. They've reached out to Honda Tech Support and other owners are still having problems after the MOST recall. Apparently Honda hasn't found the source or a solution to fix the problem, therefore we've been very patiently waiting for a few months now already.

In the past couple of months, a LOUD CRACKING (think of it terms of maximum audio volume) has been occuring. It's so loud and sudden that it's not only surprising, it's almost frightening. It sounds like static noise between TV or radio channels, it lasts about 1/2 second. If the radio is playing when it happens, the radio shuts off (audio and display) for about 1 second.

I've tried the suggested work-around to activate the automatic door lock one or more times but that hasn't helped.

It's now got to the point where we recorded three instances in the space of a minute or so. I'm definitely going to share that with the Service Manager at Honda. I had already sent him one sample but now three in one minute should give him an idea of how unbearable this has become.

Anyone else with this problem? Has anyone received a fix to this problem from Honda? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Marc

2019 Passport Touring with ~50KM
I have a 2019 Touring model as well and had the same issues, I waited until my local dealer had completed MANY of the "058" recall repairs before taking mine in (well over 1 year ago) and it was fixed first time with no further issues.

My GUESS is that yours was/is in fact something else OR that the MOST fix was not properly executed or restrained-in-place, which is what contributes to the repeat issues..

Good thing they are reaching out to a Honda Corp. Tech.. they should be able to get it repaired properly...

·
Registered
2022 Passport Elite Obsidian Blue Pearl
31 Posts
Does anyone know if Honda made a fix for this issue in the 2022 models?
It’s a good question. I own a 2022 Elite and have had no issues and have put 4200 miles on the car. I have read about some problems with the 2022 but it appears to be less than previous years. Keeping my fingers crossed because I love my new vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got the 22 passport in July. 2.5k miles and got the crackling today. Shut the car off and back on, then it stopped. I really hope it doesn’t continue. Just ruins the new car experience. And by the posts here, doesn’t seem that they can fix it.

·
3,748 Posts
Got the 22 passport in July. 2.5k miles and got the crackling today. Shut the car off and back on, then it stopped. I really hope it doesn’t continue. Just ruins the new car experience. And by the posts here, doesn’t seem that they can fix it.

Hello & Welcome...!

I don't mean to sound too cynical, but as an owner of a 2019 Passport that had the same issues:

"HOPING" and "Turning it off & on" will NOT fix it...

Taking it to the Dealer and having them do the proper repairs is the only real option...

Also, I don't recall many 2022 models having this issue....

Reactions: fx_chip

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello & Welcome...!

I don't mean to sound too cynical, but as an owner of a 2019 Passport that had the same issues:

Taking
I am just going to see if it happens again. I really don’t want to deal with bringing it in and having them open it up just yet. Nothing ever goes back the same and this car is brand spanking new.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello & Welcome...!

Taking it to the Dealer and having them do the proper repairs is the only real option...

Also, I don't recall many 2022 models having this issue....
That said, did you get it repaired? And did it stick?

·
3,748 Posts
That said, did you get it repaired? And did it stick?
fixed it right the first time, with no repeats.

that's the best part about yours is that the dealers techs should have plenty of experience on how to do it correctly...!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have loved my new 22 Elite so I'm a little bummed to say that today for the third time since I acquired it on July 8 the Infotainment informed me that "Audio cannot be used right now." Each time this has happened it is when I attempt to switch from XM to listening to music on my bluetooth Iphone connection. Fortunately, it returns when I turn the vehicle off, and open the door. Guess that's like rebooting the system. When it works the audio sounds great so I'm not getting the popping or crackling issue that has also happened with the system but I guess I need to let my dealer know it is happening. I'm due for a service in the next couple of weeks and need to have them address it. From what I have read it could be as simple as an amplifier issue referenced in TSB-22-027 but I was hoping that issue only affected 2019-2020 Passports and that these pesky issues were not cropping up anymore. Any insight or advice from @fx_chip who has been paying attention to this issue would be appreciated.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have loved my new 22 Elite so I'm a little bummed to say that today for the third time since I acquired it on July 8 the Infotainment informed me that "Audio cannot be used right now." Each time this has happened it is when I attempt to switch from XM to listening to music on my bluetooth Iphone connection. Fortunately, it returns when I turn the vehicle off, and open the door. Guess that's like rebooting the system. When it works the audio sounds great so I'm not getting the popping or crackling issue that has also happened with the system but I guess I need to let my dealer know it is happening. I'm due for a service in the next couple of weeks and need to have them address it. From what I have read it could be as simple as an amplifier issue referenced in TSB-22-027 but I was hoping that issue only affected 2019-2020 Passports and that these pesky issues were not cropping up anymore. Any insight or advice from @fx_chip who has been paying attention to this issue would be appreciated.
I think you might have a different, less serious bug in your infotainment system, the crackling and popping issues in the 2019 - 2021 Passport is more serious, it doesn't go away once it starts and the infotainment system pops and crackles even when you are not listening to music. It pops, fizzes and crackles while using the navigation or the back up camera. Shutting the car off and restarting it doesn't stop it, as long as the infotainment system display is on the noise continues. To underline how serious the issues is, it takes a high level of technical competence from a dealer to get it fixed once and for all, some owners have to go back more than once because the problem returns and the fix sometimes requires the replacement of the entire floor harness which requires the evacuation of the entire interior of the vehicle to complete.
Judging from the rectification method I think the popping and crackling problems were being created by bad electrical connections and high cable tension between the amplifier and the audio head unit, basically it's an assembly error. However, that does not exclude the fact that a few of either the amplifier or the head unit may also have factory bugs because dealers replaced them in some cases, but it's not unusual to find a few buggy ones out of thousands of manufactured electrical equipment. I believe Honda applied corrective measures to fix the assembly errors related to the wiring harness tension and the connection between the head unit and the amplifier while manufacturing the 2022 Passport.

In this particular case, your 2022 Passport's infotainment problem is likely from the head unit because it sounds like a software bug, it's easy to replicate and fix so take to back to the dealer to show them the error and get a fix done. The dealer tech will probably try a factory reset and an update on the system software first and if that doesn't fix it, the head unit and/or the amp will be replaced. You can also do a factory reset and system update yourself but if that doesn't fix your problem the error codes that could help the dealer tech would have been wiped.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sorry for the rant here but I went to my local dealer two weeks ago to make the appt to have this fixed. Tech understood what the problem was. I go to the dealer yesterday for my appt and he comes out to tell me they do not have the parts to fix this. They have parts for the Pilot but not my Passport. They could have the parts on Monday and I can bring the car back in on Monday to have it repaired. What was the point of me coming two weeks ago to make this appt to have this fixed and you do not have the parts! Now I have to go another two weeks before I can have this addressed. I have every other Friday off so that is when I can get this addressed. I was ready to give up my Friday yesterday for this. Now I have to give up another Friday. I did my part in being proactive to addressing the problem and giving time for the dealer to get the parts in to fix it. Not a happy customer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think you might have a different, less serious bug in your infotainment system, the crackling and popping issues in the 2019 - 2021 Passport is more serious, it doesn't go away once it starts and the infotainment system pops and crackles even when you are not listening to music. It pops, fizzes and crackles while using the navigation or the back up camera. Shutting the car off and restarting it doesn't stop it, as long as the infotainment system is on the noise continues. To underline how serious the issues is, it takes a high level of technical competence from a dealer to get it fixed once and for all, some owners have to go back more than once because the problem returns and the fix sometimes requires the replacement of the entire floor harness which requires the evacuation of the entire interior of the vehicle to complete.
Judging from the rectification method I think the popping and crackling problems were being created by bad electrical connections and high cable tension between the amplifier and the audio head unit, basically it's an assembly error. However, that does not exclude the fact that a few of either the amplifier or the head unit may also have factory bugs because dealers replaced them in some cases, but it's not unusual to find a few buggy ones out of thousands of manufactured electrical equipment. I believe Honda applied corrective measures to fix the assembly errors related to the wiring harness tension and the connection between the head unit and the amplifier while manufacturing the 2022 Passport.

In this particular case, your 2022 Passport's infotainment problem is likely from the head unit because it sounds like a software bug, it's easy to replicate and fix so take to back to the dealer to show them the error and get a fix done. The dealer tech will probably try a factory reset and an update on the system software first and if that doesn't fix it, the head unit and/or the amp will be replaced. You can also do a factory reset and system update yourself but if that doesn't fix your problem the error codes that could help the dealer tech would have been wiped.
@fx_chip I really appreciate the advice. Since the service is coming up I'm going to follow that first part of your advice. I really enjoy reading your insight on a number of topics in these forums.

Reactions: fx_chip

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think you might have a different, less serious bug in your infotainment system, the crackling and popping issues in the 2019 - 2021 Passport is more serious, it doesn't go away once it starts and the infotainment system pops and crackles even when you are not listening to music. It pops, fizzes and crackles while using the navigation or the back up camera. Shutting the car off and restarting it doesn't stop it, as long as the infotainment system is on the noise continues. To underline how serious the issues is, it takes a high level of technical competence from a dealer to get it fixed once and for all, some owners have to go back more than once because the problem returns and the fix sometimes requires the replacement of the entire floor harness which requires the evacuation of the entire interior of the vehicle to complete.

That’s discouraging to hear. You know a dealer is going to resist having to repair it to that level. They will instead make you return over and over until you don’t even want the car anymore. Also am I the only one who hates the idea of all those factory tightened components being undone and then reinstalled for a radio issue? It’s my fault I guess because had I known this was such a widespread issue I would have gone with another car vehicle. My car barely over 2k miles and I got the snap crackle and pop starting to happen. However it’s been a week since it last happened at least.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You know a dealer is going to resist having to repair it to that level.
Dealers have to do repairs as advised by Honda, if you have the popping and crackling issue and your dealer is refusing a permanent fix try another dealer or ask to speak with a Honda regional manager.

Also am I the only one who hates the idea of all those factory tightened components being undone and then reinstalled for a radio issue?
I don't have the popping issue but I dread having the guts of my vehicle ripped out too.

My car barely over 2k miles and I got the snap crackle and pop starting to happen.
If your Passport is a 2022 model then your issue might not be related to the infamous popping and crackling issue, I have attached a video below that clearly shows the nature of the popping and crackling, the fix shown is only temporary just in case anyone wants to use it. Honda permanently fixed this issue in the 2022 model and it's very rarely reported in a 2022 Passport so your particular issue might be something else less complex. Try and upload a video of the issue you are experiencing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dealers have to do repairs as advised by Honda, if you have the popping and crackling issue and your dealer is refusing a permanent fix try another dealer or ask to speak with a Honda regional manager.

I don't have the popping issue but I dread having the guts of my vehicle ripped out too.

If your Passport is a 2022 model then your issue might not be related to the infamous popping and crackling issue, I have attached a video below that clearly shows the nature of the popping and crackling, the fix shown is only temporary just in case anyone wants to use it. Honda permanently fixed this issue in the 2022 model and it's very rarely reported in a 2022 Passport so your particular issue might be something else less complex. Try and upload a video of the issue you are experiencing.

Mine was not like this. What is in the video is very consistent type of sound pattern over and over. Mine was just crackling, almost sounds like a bad speaker. It happened a couple of times, and even if I turned off the radio (while driving) it would continue. Turning the vehicle off and on corrected it. Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had the issue come up tonight. Again not exactly like fx_chips video. It's more like a bad record playing with the music cutting out and some pops. I did turn off the radio, and I did continue to hear th eintermitten pop. It all started when I raised the arm rest (might not be related, but it was immediately following that). Then it popped up with the "No audio connection for FM" (see attached, sorry blurry.). On Oct 16th I also got the "No audio connection..." and then on the 18th I did get the other attached.. "This system has lost power. Push and hold the power button for more than two seconds to enable the system".

Does anyone know if the dealer is going to need to replicate the issue in order for them to agree to fix it? It's days between occurrences and I don't like the idea of them having to drive it around for god knows how long.
Automotive design Font Netbook Automotive exterior Electric blue

Font Astronomical object Science Electric blue Space

·
Registered
757 Posts
Had the issue come up tonight. Again not exactly like fx_chips video. It's more like a bad record playing with the music cutting out and some pops. I did turn off the radio, and I did continue to hear th eintermitten pop. It all started when I raised the arm rest (might not be related, but it was immediately following that). Then it popped up with the "No audio connection for FM" (see attached, sorry blurry.). On Oct 16th I also got the "No audio connection..." and then on the 18th I did get the other attached.. "This system has lost power. Push and hold the power button for more than two seconds to enable the system".

Does anyone know if the dealer is going to need to replicate the issue in order for them to agree to fix it? It's days between occurrences and I don't like the idea of them having to drive it around for god knows how long.
View attachment 16272
View attachment 16271
Your issue is unrelated to the aforementioned popping and crackling issue, according to the Honda Service Bulletin I have attached below, the "No audio connection" message indicates you have an Audio Amplifier software error. It's an issue that's supposed to be limited to the 2019-2020 Passport but with all the supply chain problems in the auto industry a few earlier amplifier units may have slipped through to the 2022 model. The Honda advised fix it to take your Passport back to the dealer and have the amplifier replaced. I think it will be helpful for your dealer if you take along pictures of the error and a printout of the first page of the attached Service Bulletin.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone had their infotainment system just flat out die?

I have a 2019 (Canadian) touring PP. Up until now, I have had none of the reported issues (crackling etc) with the infotainment system. This weekend, started the car and the infotainment system was just flat out dead - black screen and no sign of life. The car still drives fine, but multiple restarts and short drives, the system is still dead. It is scheduled for service in 4 days anyways, but I'd like to go into the dealership with some ideas of what's going on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your issue is unrelated to the aforementioned popping and crackling issue, according to the Honda Service Bulletin I have attached below, the "No audio connection" message indicates you have an Audio Amplifier software error. It's an issue that's supposed to be limited to the 2019-2020 Passport but with all the supply chain problems in the auto industry a few earlier amplifier units may have slipped through to the 2022 model. The Honda advised fix it to take your Passport back to the dealer and have the amplifier replaced. I think it will be helpful for your dealer if you take along pictures of the error and a printout of the first page of the attached Service Bulletin.
Thanks so much for your help. I did call them this morning and will be dropping it off.

1181 - 1200 of 1210 Posts