Honda Passport Forum banner
1061 - 1080 of 1103 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
But from what I am reading, it is still not fixed yet.
FWIW...I believe a fix to the FAKRA connectors and harness was produced. I'm not entirely sure on the timing of when that switch happened though. Early on they were just replacing with the same broken ones. My understanding is that they now have a permanent fix. Unfortunately the supply of these hasn't caught up with demand yet so many haven't been able to get the fix installed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
FWIW...I believe a fix to the FAKRA connectors and harness was produced. I'm not entirely sure on the timing of when that switch happened though. Early on they were just replacing with the same broken ones. My understanding is that they now have a permanent fix. Unfortunately the supply of these hasn't caught up with demand yet so many haven't been able to get the fix installed.
Ok thanks. I did call my Honda dealer and they said exactly what you said. In fact he said they had a Passport in there for the exact same thing as we spoke on the phone. Go figure. Lol. I’m bringing it in Wednesday. Only problem is they have no loaner cars so I have to find my own rental.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member here. The audio on my 2021 Passport just cuts out intermittently, sometimes in rapid succession for a brief second each time. While not nearly as serious of an issue as others have described, this “bug” makes listening to music very annoying. My concern is that none of the Honda Service Bulletins refer to 2021 Passports as having infotainment issues, even though it’s obvious that there are other 2021 Passport owners having issues.

I’m hesitant bring my vehicle in and have them start poking around with the system out of a major fear that a “skipping” radio will turn into something much worse. I also don’t believe that I should have to live with a defective audio system on a vehicle for which I paid so much money.

Wondering if anyone else has this minor, but yet very annoying, issue?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2021, and they noted the same TSB on it as those mentioned earlier. I received no hesitancy to perform the required action once they verified there was a problem. Mine specifically was shutting down, not cutting out. So long as they can verify it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: Person

·
Registered
70 Posts
Update: So I noticed this time the cracking and popping was only happening when the stereo was on. I took it in yesterday and they were able to replicate the problem. They are ordering me a new head unit. He said it could take 3 weeks or 3 months because of how hard it is to get parts. No big deal since it’s only happening about once a week now. Just glad they were able to replicate it and hopefully fix it for good this time

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
476 Posts
New member here. The audio on my 2021 Passport just cuts out intermittently, sometimes in rapid succession for a brief second each time. While not nearly as serious of an issue as others have described, this “bug” makes listening to music very annoying. My concern is that none of the Honda Service Bulletins refer to 2021 Passports as having infotainment issues, even though it’s obvious that there are other 2021 Passport owners having issues.

I’m hesitant bring my vehicle in and have them start poking around with the system out of a major fear that a “skipping” radio will turn into something much worse. I also don’t believe that I should have to live with a defective audio system on a vehicle for which I paid so much money.

Wondering if anyone else has this minor, but yet very annoying, issue?
TSB updated to include ALL 2021 Passports

·
Registered
7 Posts
For those of you with 2021 Passports having the audio issues, I'm curious to know what the build dates on your cars are. The build date of my new EX-L is 9/21. My hope is that with such a late 2021 build date that the plant is now using the updated parts and I'll never experience the issues that so many of you have. The ongoing audio issues is honestly what kept me from buying one sooner.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Guess I am here to join the infotainment club. My 2020 Passport developed the problem this morning on my way to work. Listening to the radio and all of sudden I had very loud static coming out of the spreakers. At first, I thought it was the station. Turned the radio off and still had static coming out of the speakers. Totally annoying the rest of the way to work. Nothing made it go away. Got to work, shut the car off, restart the car and no more static. I look at the bulletins to see which one applies to me and go to the dealer. Would rather have them hear the problem first hand but it did not come back...yet....

·
Registered
18 Posts
2020 PP EXL. Consider this just an FYI. I've experienced the popping and crackling about 4 or 5 times in the last year. It occurs on AM, FM, and HD. It happens when the radio is turned off. The last time it happened, it went on for about 15 minutes and then I parked. When I got back in the car 15 minutes later, everything worked fine. There is no consistency in occurence, does not seem to be weather or temperature related, not road condition related. Typical gremlin, never know when it gonna pop at you and you never can demonstrate the problem if you bring it in, unless you drive straight to the dealer. I may do that the next time, especially knowing there is a Service Bulletin. Thanks to all for your comments about this problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well darnit. For my wife's 2019 PP EX-L, we had the 20-058 fix in October 2020, but she told me she's heard the old crackle/pop again a few times in recent weeks. Reading through some of the posts, did they maybe last time just replace it with the same type of MOST cable, but now there might be an improved version of the MOST cable for that same TSB? Just wondering if worth another call to the dealer service dept to request the same fix again or not. So frustrating!

EDIT 11/2/2021: Took it in last night and just picked it up. Hopefully no more issues! Here's the wording from the ticket on what they did this time.
Font Material property Circle Number Screenshot

And here's the prior fix from 10/2020:
Font Receipt Number Parallel Paper

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2019 Passport that I purchased new in April 2019. It's a great vehicle except for the very frustrating, and well-known, problems with the infotainment system. After a long delay waiting for Honda to devise their first solution, I had the first round of service completed to correct the infotainment system issues (replace Fakra connectors in MOST bus) in October 2020. That lasted for several months, then the dreaded intermittent "crackling" in the sound output began to appear. Then ultimately, I was back in the same situation where all the combinations of symptoms (screens go black, "network connection lost" message, etc.) occur on every trip. Armed with my "extended warranty" letter from Honda I made an appointment with the dealer. Turns out that since "repair already done, can't do again" I was told by the dealer Honda is not authorizing a second repair. So, I'm stuck with this major defect!

This experience on Monday 11/15/2021 is extremely disappointing. I've owned Honda vehicles since 1988 and until recently have been very satisfied. I also have Honda lawn mowers and a Honda snow blower. But with this Passport issue on-going with no resolution in sight, I hope Honda comes up with a solution soon!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Extended Warranty letter (and TSB 21-012) specifically warrants the MOST bus network connectors.
Corrective action: Install FAKRA connector set and MOST service cords.

You did not state whether techs actually looked at your Passport on Monday, or if you were denied service at the service counter. If your vehicle was not actually serviced, how do they know prior replacement connectors and cords are not faulty, and installation labor was done correctly?? You stated the problem now happens "on every trip" so did service advisor or tech verify/confirm/acknowledge the symptoms?? There was another post here about the procedure techs must follow to verify infotainment center failure. Did they do this only Monday?

And perhaps you need to look for a different Honda dealer for service and warranty work, as not all are created equal.

·
Registered
2020 passport elite
47 Posts
Wanted to share with everyone here. I have been having this issue for months. I had the harness replaced twice and car has been at the dealer 4 times for same issue. It is better than the first time but still happens. I notified the dealer of this quick fix when the speakers pop and they said they will be notifying Honda cause may help lead to or fix the issue. If your speakers start crackling try unlocking and locking the doors with the button on the door. Every time my speakers start crackling while I’m driving (whether from hitting a bump or just happens) I hit the unlock and then lock button again sometimes a few times and it will stop. May help some of you deal with this issue in the interim.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I've had my 2019 honda in the dealership for 5 times!! YES 5 times for the radio crackling. Honda called me and I expressed my unhappiness with my car having to go back to the dealer 5 times. THey asked what they could do for me. I mentioned some free oil changes would be great. Well my request was denied cause it would look like they paid me off./ REALLY??? They asked what they could do!! This problem has gone on for a year and half. I'm truly disappointed Honda would treat a returning customer like this. This is my 5 Honda. Not sure what's going on there but I'm again I'm disappointed. If anyone has and issue with the radio crackling ...good luck. Cause I feel honda took my money and has forgotten what a good loyal customer I am. I really need to rethink buying Another Honda. Saddens me beyond words.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good Morning,

I have a sporadic popping sound that comes often from my speakers in my recently purchased 2020 Passport EX-L. It happens randomly whenever using the internet radio, podcast, XM, etc. This is very annoying and not acceptable. If anyone else has experienced this problem, have you had your Honda dealer rectify and that completely resolve this problem of popping sounds coming from the speakers? If so, were several attempts needed by the dealer to get it right? Was the dealer already aware of this problem and what solution is needed get it fixed. Thank you for letting me if you have a success story on getting it repaired and it not a lingering problem. I'm leaning toward selling this vehicle, unless encouraged by other Passport owners who had this problem and was resolved.

Safe travels to all.

icelandfan

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good Morning,

I have a sporadic popping sound that comes often from my speakers in my recently purchased 2020 Passport EX-L. It happens randomly whenever using the internet radio, podcast, XM, etc. This is very annoying and not acceptable. If anyone else has experienced this problem, have you had your Honda dealer rectify and that completely resolve this problem of popping sounds coming from the speakers? If so, were several attempts needed by the dealer to get it right? Was the dealer already aware of this problem and what solution is needed get it fixed. Thank you for letting me if you have a success story on getting it repaired and it not a lingering problem. I'm leaning toward selling this vehicle, unless encouraged by other Passport owners who had this problem and was resolved.

Safe travels to all.

icelandfan
If you sell the vehicle rather than working with a dealer to resolve the problem, you are likely to lose several thousand dollars. Hopefully you have some warranty left.

This issue is most likely due to faulty MOST bus wiring, which should be repaired by the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you sell the vehicle rather than working with a dealer to resolve the problem, you are likely to lose several thousand dollars. Hopefully you have some warranty left.

This issue is most likely due to faulty MOST bus wiring, which should be repaired by the dealer.
It happen to our 2020 Passport and the dealership fixed it, there's an open recall on that!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good Morning,

Safe travels to all.

icelandfan
Have had my car for 28 months and 27k miles. Mine was was one of the earliest ones with this problem so it took them 5 times to fix it. That was around 10k miles. Was problem free until 21k miles but this time the popping would happen only time the radio was on. They ended up replacing the head unit. 6k miles later and it's had zero problems. I will say this popping problem is the only problem I have ever had with it. No other engine, tranny, mechanical, etc problems with it. I, too, was strongly considering selling it. Glad I didn't.

1061 - 1080 of 1103 Posts