Honda Passport Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1065 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I took my car over lunch to a different Honda dealer. I live in major metro so have few avail within ~20 miles. I did so because my present dealer had no appointments and there was some sort of communication issue. The new dealer I feel was more forthcoming and explained the situation/process. However, I dont expect any resolution , any time soon. Here is the summary:
  • Honda "is looking" and has no real fix
  • the current tsb is really "work around" as opposed to real fix
  • I was told they will look over , check out diags, and if nothing obvious, I am getting the car back without any actual work
  • once you have the TSB (work around) implemented, Honda tells dealers not to do anything else
-If nothing found, they will ask me to drive for 2 weeks without connecting phone via blue tooth or USB . If the issue still persists, they will schedule meeting with Honda FAE. Service guy told me these appointments are about 4 weeks out in my area.

I heard the sparking clicks while sitting in the car and talking to the service with the car running in park. I think he heard them too but they really dont know what to do outside of the initial tsb.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Canadian owner here, PP 2020 Sport, have been having dreadful no FM connected, no audio connected, sent pictures and video to the dealership when I brought the car to be fixed only to told not a problem, it is the location I drove by (Squamish, BC) and more nonsense. See the comments. So disappointing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Passport Elite, Platinum White Pearl
66 Posts
I’m at almost 9000 miles on my 2021 Elite and just started getting the dreaded snap crackle & pop. Even lost signal for Sirius XM for a few seconds. Guess after three years they still don’t have it worked out. Probably won’t until the next redesign.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had the snap, crackle, & pop since I purchased my 2020 Touring, but in the past week I've got the MOST rebooting almost every time I drive the car now. I just brought it to the local dealer to have it replaced with "updated connectors".

·
Registered
120 Posts
The dealer could reproduce issue on my car without phone connected same day I brought the car.Two weeks later... I am dropping car off tomorrow for appt. with FAE ...getting loaner from the dealer. Not sure where this is going but I hear the crackling every time I drive now....so something needs to be done.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here is the latest ...I am picking up my car from the dealer tomorrow. Over the phone, the service person told me the FAE re-checked initial work, fixed some things (cant recall what) etc. Could not reproduce the issue when done. We'll find out tomorrow. Interesting point of information I was told we could still hear the crackling noises while using phone bluetooth connection. I was told Honda America is looking at the problem attempting to figure out whether it is "phone" problem or "vehicle" problem and there is no remedy at this point. However, if you have no bluetooth connected, the crackling should be gone.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,708 Posts
Here is the latest ...I am picking up my car from the dealer tomorrow. Over the phone, the service person told me the FAE re-checked initial work, fixed some things (cant recall what) etc. Could not reproduce the issue when done. We'll find out tomorrow. Interesting point of information I was told we could still hear the crackling noises while using phone bluetooth connection. I was told Honda America is looking at the problem attempting to figure out whether it is "phone" problem or "vehicle" problem and there is no remedy at this point. However, if you have no bluetooth connected, the crackling should be gone.
That’s a shitty response. But just plug your phone in and you avoid the crackling.
I‘ve personally never used the Bluetooth feature. Plug and play was much easier.

Reactions: HarveyW

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know and I am not really happy about it but as Honda says "there is no fix at this point" so what can you do ? Outside of trading in the car for something else ...

Anyway, most of the times I use the USB cable anyway for the maps so it is not as big deal ...

I just picked up the car , drove 10 miles back home and crackling is gone or simply not surfacing at this point. Since I could hear it pretty regularly in the prev couple weeks, I am hopeful. The statement of work is somewhat high level, the FTS fixed some routing issues, retighten connectors etc... so definitely something was fixed.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite, Modern Steel Metallic/Black
103 Posts
So.... Just over 9 months and 7900 miles in... unfortunately, I got the dreaded popping noise two days ago. I made an appt and dropped off my PPE this morning. While the SW was checking me in (actually according to his name tag... he was the SM). Dude started to piss me off because I mentioned to him that I had researched this issue and understood that it's affect lots of PPs, and Pilots, and he tried to downplay it. I finally said... "Sir...I respectfully hope this is addressed seriously. I don't want a tech spending a few mins, possibly a reset then declaring it to be fixed and/or operating normally". I'll post updates

Reactions: ProdGirl

·
Registered
37 Posts
So.... Just over 9 months and 7900 miles in... unfortunately, I got the dreaded popping noise two days ago. I made an appt and dropped off my PPE this morning. While the SW was checking me in (actually according to his name tag... he was the SM). Dude started to piss me off because I mentioned to him that I had researched this issue and understood that it's affect lots of PPs, and Pilots, and he tried to downplay it. I finally said... "Sir...I respectfully hope this is addressed seriously. I don't want a tech spending a few mins, possibly a reset then declaring it to be fixed and/or operating normally". I'll post updates

Don't the dealers do a search?

The MOST connector is the culprit for the popping. We had ours replaced last year and we've done four 2400 mile round trips this year and have NOT heard any more pops.

Now, the Android Auto is another story... but I just found out the problem is not with the Passport but with the dreadful Android Auto Ap in our Samsung phones. Make sure to go into the Ap and ensure that it has the permissions set. It's a long story, IMHO, but it is what it is... crappy software written for the Ap.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Considering that Honda sold 1.8 million vehicles in 2020 in the US alone, including almost 124K Pilots, 40K Passports, 32K Ridgeline and 83K Odysseys, it's not all that surprising that some dealerships may not have either not heard of the fixes or had any experience with the fixes. Overall the percentage of problem vehicles is very low. Granted the percentage should be zero, but that doesn't happen with any manufacturer.

However when it is your vehicle that does have the problem, it is obviously a high priority and Honda should have done a better job of notifying all of the Honda Dealers across the US, as well as Canada and the other countries that sell the affected models of the issues and the fixes.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I know this won’t help and mine will probably get one of these issues….. but- I’ve had way to many trucks and cars in just the last 5 years, Ford 150, 4runner(s) and now this. They all have issues with one thing or another in sound, conductivity and especially android or apple who’s ecosystem updates a few or more times a year

·
Registered
37 Posts
Considering that Honda sold 1.8 million vehicles in 2020 in the US alone, including almost 124K Pilots, 40K Passports, 32K Ridgeline and 83K Odysseys, it's not all that surprising that some dealerships may not have either not heard of the fixes or had any experience with the fixes. Overall the percentage of problem vehicles is very low. Granted the percentage should be zero, but that doesn't happen with any manufacturer.

However when it is your vehicle that does have the problem, it is obviously a high priority and Honda should have done a better job of notifying all of the Honda Dealers across the US, as well as Canada and the other countries that sell the affected models of the issues and the fixes.
American Honda released several TSBs on this. Our dealer was working directly with R&D in Torrance. Engineers from the factory looked at our Passport, several times.

TSB 1: At first, it was to tighten the CAN bus connectors
Check.. our dealer tightened the entire harness in the back half. We held off on pulling the front seats and the dash.
Things got better for a week. Pops were no longer all the time.

TSB 2: Tighten the CAN connectors to the back of the NAVI unit.
Check.
Things got better for a week.. then back to the step (1) before

TSB 3: Install a "hook" to the CAN connectors to the NAVI to lessen the stress on the connectors.
Check.
Pops now would appear after about an hour of driving... in one hour on/off episodes.

(Dealer attempt): Tighten all CAN connections.
Check
Made it a little bit better. Pops went away for a month.

Finally, the dealer called us with the MOST CAN TSB but they were out of stock. Three months later they called us and we had it replaced.

So, this is a very well known problem across the Odysseys, Passports, Ridgelines and MDXs. I don't think it affected the RDX/CRV as they have different harnesses for the NAVI.

There is no excuse for a dealer's service writer not to be aware of this. It is, after all, their job to be on top of such things.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite, Modern Steel Metallic/Black
103 Posts
Update: The SM called that afternoon to say that they were ordering MOST connectors, and that they'd call me to bring the PPE back when the connectors arrived

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did not put many miles over last 3-4 days .. but so far so good ..no crackling ..
In our experience, that fixes it. We've done four 2500 mile trips in the last six months and we haven't had any pops.

BTW, one think I noticed... when you are in one of those snap/crackle/snap episodes.... honk the horn... you will hear a burst of static over the speakers. Crazy... but I guess it was a ground problem on that MOST connector and the horn likely releases some static on the vehicle's electrical ground plane.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, after months of being a lurker on here I decided to register so I could post about my specific infotainment issue. Thankfully, I have yet to experience the crackling issue so let's hope I don't jinx myself by saying that. I did have the wiring replacement (non) fix done about 6 months ago because I was getting the "no audio connection" thing. Well, it seemed to work until about a month ago. The problem only seems to occur under very specific conditions: the outside temperature has to be 90 degrees or above; I have to have driven at least 20 minutes, and the engine auto stop has to be enabled. Under those conditions, whenever the engine kicks back on I lose audio. The other condition (that I discovered last week while in the middle of a 13 hour return trip from vacation) is that driving long periods in warm weather with the engine auto stop enabled will cause audio loss while moving down the road. As long as I remember to disable to auto stop feature, I don't lose audio. I have yet to talk to the dealer about my "research", but I will be doing so in the near future. The purpose of my post is to see if anyone else has had the audio loss caused by the engine auto stop. I didn't feel like sorting through FIFTY TWO(!!!) pages of posts.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring
94 Posts
I’m having a problem with the apple car play in my 2020 touring. Some days it work and a lot of the time it doesn’t. I bought new cables and have the same problem. I don’t have the snapping noise problem and I’m a little hesitant about having the dealer touch it and cause more problems.

1021 - 1040 of 1065 Posts