Honda Passport Forum banner

881 - 890 of 890 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I get the snap, crackle and popping every other day or so, very mildly, and EVERY time, a swift slap on the dash (above the infotainment center) fixes it immediately.

Yes, I'll bring it soon, but (for me) it's a fast and easy remedy..

Anyone else have success with the old slap-on-the-dash trick?
That worked on mine for a bit. Then, it did nothing most of the time and the unit just started failing completely. No problems since the dealer did the repair on it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
429 Posts
Didn't the recall say that it was only supposed to be performed by the lead technician? I bet that a lot of dealerships ignored that part.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The dealership performed a software update on the gauge control module this past Wednesday; the service manager informed me that Honda will be notifying all affected parties of this recall later this month. :unsure:

1599932622667.png

·
Registered
33 Posts
Update: I had both the recall and TSB20-058 performed back in 8/20. 3 weeks and about 750 miles later and the crackling has started back again. I will say it it not as loud and if I turn off the radio, it actually stops. Whereas before it was continuous with the radio on or off. It does it both on Sirius and FM radio. Haven't tried Apple CarPlay yet but I am guessing it would do the same. Not sure what to do at this point. If it was simple, I would just pay an aftermarket stereo installer to rip out the entire system and replace it with a whole new aftermarket system. But I am guessing the infotainment system is pretty complex and that would void the warranty of some of my items. Very frustrating

·
Super Moderator
2,308 Posts
Update: I had both the recall and TSB20-058 performed back in 8/20. 3 weeks and about 750 miles later and the crackling has started back again. I will say it it not as loud and if I turn off the radio, it actually stops. Whereas before it was continuous with the radio on or off. It does it both on Sirius and FM radio. Haven't tried Apple CarPlay yet but I am guessing it would do the same. Not sure what to do at this point. If it was simple, I would just pay an aftermarket stereo installer to rip out the entire system and replace it with a whole new aftermarket system. But I am guessing the infotainment system is pretty complex and that would void the warranty of some of my items. Very frustrating
This is very sad...

Thanks for the update, I believe this is the first failure report after the supposed recall fix. I strongly suggest you notify your Dealer and ALSO notify Honda Corp, you may get some special attention when a recall repair (and TSB-058) does not solve their KNOWN problems...

I am dreading taking mine in for the double Recall...

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is very sad...

Thanks for the update, I believe this is the first failure report after the supposed recall fix. I strongly suggest you notify your Dealer and ALSO notify Honda Corp, you may get some special attention when a recall repair (and TSB-058) does not solve their KNOWN problems...

I am dreading taking mine in for the double Recall...

That's a great idea to notify Honda Corp. Would that just be the main customer service line? (800) 999-1009?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Update: I did call my service advisor and Honda is going to send a senior field engineer to look at my car in a couple of weeks. They said mine is the first failure after the TSB they have on record. I did mention I probably also drive alot more miles than most people and he did agree.

Reactions: stevenD

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had several issues (see previous posts). The worst was severe crackling after just a quarter mile or so followed by lost of radio then network and then spontaneous reboots. Absolutely awful. Could not use radio and Dealer wasnt interested and finally escalated to Honda Corporate. Before they could do anything, I switched dealerships as my previous (Kelly Honda Lynn MA) was useless. Herb Chambers Honda Burlington MA (Much happier) put their electrical guy on it and found a poor connection to the rear amplifier and jury rigged a fix.Much , much better service dept! Meanwhile Honda revealed that its electrical connector was failing and they designed another. My problems went away totally for several months with the jury rigged fix and then some rare crackling started again. Meanwhile I did the wireless update and just now brought it back for the panel recall and newly redesigned connectors. Hopefully I am long term fixed (we will see). The radio sound much better quality wise, which I am attributing to better connections.

I did have one episode of the radio not turning off (fixed with Cntrl-Alt-Del from a keyboard). The wireless update supposedly addressed that.

The Waze connection to all this was never proven and I am going to go back and give it a try. I have been using Google maps with no problems but like Waze better. Again, we will see.

If your dealer isn't helpful, take your business elsewhere.

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
2019 Passport Elite

• No GPS issue since I got it used. Going to talk to dealer.
  • On Google Maps via Carplay, if I turn the phones screen off, sometimes the Google Maps on the infotainment screen doesn't update instructions or pan the map as I'm driving. If I unlock my phone and switch app to Google maps, that fixes the problem.

881 - 890 of 890 Posts