Honda Passport Forum banner

841 - 860 of 890 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
My 2020 Elite now has consistent popping and skipping audio. The infotainment system would not shut down after powering off the vehicle. I’ve got lots of video which captured the problems. I guess I’ll make the appointment for the recall and repair. I’m cringing at the idea of my Passport being monkey fisted by the “techs”.
Sorry to hear that but at least they have a supposed fix out now. I dealt with it for a while as too lazy to take in, but it worked out as they just released it. Anyway, check out the trim piece just above the glove box when you pick yours up. I guess they remove it to get to a couple screws and mine no longer fits perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my new 2019 Passport for about three weeks. Twice now the infotainment system stopped working. Both times, I was using Apple Play and Waze. A loud beep came on and then nothing. No Apple Play, no radio, ...nothing. The display was on (in fact it wouldn't turn off even when the car was off) and I was not able to use the radio (check tuner message appeared) or an other features. When I would try to check Bluetooth I got a message that said the car was still in motion even though I was parked. I took it to the dealer who took out a fuse and reset the system. That worked for about two days and then it happened again. Any ideas? I have an appointment at the dealership but I am not optimistic. I do not want to have to reset the fuse every time I use Waze. I have read on other forums that using a USB keyboard to Cntl-Alt-Del will also work to reset the system but who wants to keep a keyboard in their car? Is anyone else having this problem?
I’ve yet to buy a Passport but it’s on my short list. In my research this weekend I red on Edmunds consumer reviews that Honda’s infotainment system has a lot of problems, someone said there is a class action law suit towards Honda on this issue. Very disappointing given I very interested in this vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
825 Posts
Sorry to hear that but at least they have a supposed fix out now. I dealt with it for a while as too lazy to take in, but it worked out as they just released it. Anyway, check out the trim piece just above the glove box when you pick yours up. I guess they remove it to get to a couple screws and mine no longer fits perfect.
I plan on taking plenty photos of the interior and exterior. It’s inevitable that something gets damaged by the dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have developed a popping/snapping sound intermittently coming from the dashboard/speakers.

This isn't a creaking sound or the typical sound you occasionally get from the dash, particularly in older cars. It's a distinct "pop / snap" sound. As you drive a "pop / snap" will occur coming from various places on the dash. We can't isolate it to a specific place on the physical dash or the system speakers. My guess is that the speakers are in use by ECU for warning sounds etc so they are in use as long as the car is powered by the battery regardless of the entertainment system usage.

Either way with the entertainment system on or off, Android auto/ cell phones in use, blue tooth streaming or not,new USB cable or old , the popping / snapping occurs, particularly early in the day. That perhaps points to a temperature and material related phenomena. I temper that conclusion with this fact, the odd thing is that when the entertainment system is on the popping appears to come from the speakers as well. That would indicate a circuit issue, perhaps a bad spark pack or relay of some kind.

Very confusing. The dealership, of course, can't seem to determine what the issue is.

Anyone else experience popping/snapping or odd noises coming from the dash/speakers.?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport - Touring - AWD
10 Posts
Just got mine fixed Friday (I hope). Wiring harness/connectors swapped at the dealership. Known issue on Pilots/Passports/Odysseys! They should be able to fix it in 2-3 hours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just got mine fixed Friday (I hope). Wiring harness/connectors swapped at the dealership. Known issue on Pilots/Passports/Odysseys! They should be able to fix it in 2-3 hours.
Thanks, ...I guess I need to make that "known" to my dealer, LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my new 2019 Passport for about three weeks. Twice now the infotainment system stopped working. Both times, I was using Apple Play and Waze. A loud beep came on and then nothing. No Apple Play, no radio, ...nothing. The display was on (in fact it wouldn't turn off even when the car was off) and I was not able to use the radio (check tuner message appeared) or an other features. When I would try to check Bluetooth I got a message that said the car was still in motion even though I was parked. I took it to the dealer who took out a fuse and reset the system. That worked for about two days and then it happened again. Any ideas? I have an appointment at the dealership but I am not optimistic. I do not want to have to reset the fuse every time I use Waze. I have read on other forums that using a USB keyboard to Cntl-Alt-Del will also work to reset the system but who wants to keep a keyboard in their car? Is anyone else having this problem?
I have exactly the same issue! Popping cracking sounds and when you turn the car off and restart it makes two electrical type sounds! Then it won't do it for a couple days and then it starts again! I recorded the issue and the dealer reset the info system! Stopped it for about two weeks! They won't like me when I take it back next week! $44k and that's what you get!

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
825 Posts
Did they replace the whole harness, front to rear? Did all the trim pieces, etc, go back ok and undamaged?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport - Touring - AWD
10 Posts
Did they replace the whole harness, front to rear? Did all the trim pieces, etc, go back ok and undamaged?
If I'm remembering the conversation correctly they only had to replace connectors. Not nearly as invasive as the fix a few months ago. 2 hours for the job. Haven't noticed anything different/rattling/not fitting together properly. My dealership retrofitted a bunch of their for sale Passports with this fix. I really do like my PP hope you do too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If I'm remembering the conversation correctly they only had to replace connectors. Not nearly as invasive as the fix a few months ago. 2 hours for the job. Haven't noticed anything different/rattling/not fitting together properly. My dealership retrofitted a bunch of their for sale Passports with this fix. I really do like my PP hope you do too.
Yes, I believe it’s only at the MOST connection which is right behind the dash/screen area.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just brought mine in this morning for the recall and TSB 20-058 fix. I had my SA print me out a copy. Here it is. I will put this in the TSB thread as well

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just brought mine in this morning for the recall and TSB 20-058 fix. I had my SA print me out a copy. Here it is. I will put this in the TSB thread as well

View attachment 7093
hope they are able address your infotainment issues.
I took mine in this morning as well for the exact same issue. Per recommendation from one of the forum members, I also called Honda, reported the issue and obtained a ticket #.
I will certainly keep everyone posted with the outcome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have developed a popping/snapping sound intermittently coming from the dashboard/speakers.

This isn't a creaking sound or the typical sound you occasionally get from the dash, particularly in older cars. It's a distinct "pop / snap" sound. As you drive a "pop / snap" will occur coming from various places on the dash. We can't isolate it to a specific place on the physical dash or the system speakers. My guess is that the speakers are in use by ECU for warning sounds etc so they are in use as long as the car is powered by the battery regardless of the entertainment system usage.

Either way with the entertainment system on or off, Android auto/ cell phones in use, blue tooth streaming or not,new USB cable or old , the popping / snapping occurs, particularly early in the day. That perhaps points to a temperature and material related phenomena. I temper that conclusion with this fact, the odd thing is that when the entertainment system is on the popping appears to come from the speakers as well. That would indicate a circuit issue, perhaps a bad spark pack or relay of some kind.

Very confusing. The dealership, of course, can't seem to determine what the issue is.

Anyone else experience popping/snapping or odd noises coming from the dash/speakers.?
I had my Passport fixed ( including recalls ) this AM.It helps to have the right service writer... Fixed by SB 20-058

Posted today by
Passportwrx See Please Post Honda Service Bulletins Here (Passport related)

·
Registered
33 Posts
hope they are able address your infotainment issues.
I took mine in this morning as well for the exact same issue. Per recommendation from one of the forum members, I also called Honda, reported the issue and obtained a ticket #.
I will certainly keep everyone posted with the outcome.
Thanks, Ara. Likewise, I hope it works out for you as well. I will also keep everyone posted on the outcome. This is my 4th time bringing it in for this issue since purchasing it last October.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 2019 Honda Passport Touring used from a dealer in Massachusetts. After a few days I started hearing a cracking in the speakers as well as the Infotainment system would shut down. I did some research online and realized through this site and others that this is a problem that Honda is working on. I booked an appointment at the dealer to have it looked at. The dealer seemed aware of the problem and stated they have a number of steps to take to try and fix the problem. They reset the Infotainment system to factory settings and asked me not to pair my IPhone 11 with it. After about 1 day the system shut down again. It would usually come back on after a period of time. I noticed it would happen mostly when I hit a bump. It definitely seemed like it was a loose connection or ground as other people in this forum have stated. I booked another appointment. This time the service technician came out and talked with me. He explained the next step to fixing the problem. The technician removed and checked all the MOST connections. He also straightened out some of the wires. I am happy to report it has been 3 weeks and have not had a problem since. It was frustrating but hopefully it is fixed.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Uh oh... I guess Steven hasn’t seen this yet. Honda just reales a fix for this in the last few weeks. The dealer should have performed that per Honda.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, Ara. Likewise, I hope it works out for you as well. I will also keep everyone posted on the outcome. This is my 4th time bringing it in for this issue since purchasing it last October.
I just picked up my passport from the dealership. They completed the two recalls (Recall 20-047 & 20-051).
As for the infotainment, they confirmed the issue and have ordered needed parts per service bulletin 20-058.
I will keep Everyone posted once the actual repairs are done.
Thank you all for all the great feedback!
Ara

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bought my EX-L on the last day of October 2019 for $31,640 +TTL. Sticker was $38,902 total (which included $1400 of the dreaded Honda Accessories). Honda of Fort Worth.

As far as issues, google or search this forum for "Honda Passport crackling speakers". Last week was the 4th time I brought mine in for this problem. This time there was a TSB that changed out some of the connectors. I have driven 150 so far with no issues. But I am cautiously optimistic.

Reactions: KF6LOK

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI - to everyone saying Honda has released the fix. I just had mine in the shop this AM for this new fix and I didn't even make it home before it all crapped out again. No radio/navigation/center display. Turning the car off and waiting 5 minutes and everything started up again. As I pulled into my driveway it all died again and the only way to get it up and running again was to pull the fuze. Does anyone have any experience filing a lawsuit or a lemon law complaint? I've been in the shop six times for this issue, and I'm just tired of it - and it doesn't seem like Honda has the ability to actually fix this.

841 - 860 of 890 Posts