Black 22' PP
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Plant

Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire Grille
Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Plant
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

New owner of a 2022 Honda Passport EX-L in Black, got it for ~$45K after taxes/fees etc. I have about ~1,200 miles on it so far and have nearly completed my build, just waiting on the SS3s to come and install.

Installed/Purchased the following OEM and aftermarket accessories (and installed my self) so far:
  • OEM
    • Honda Roof Rails
    • Honda Crossbars
    • Honda Trailer Hitch & Harness
    • Honda ATF Cooler
    • Honda HPD Mud Flaps (not pictured)
    • Honda Grill Accent Piece, Gloss Black
    • Honda Black Emblems
  • Aftermarket
    • Black Rhino Overland Wheels, 18", 35mm Offset
    • Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail Tires, 245/60R18
    • CarlinKit 3.0 Wireless Apple CarPlay Adapter
    • Idlestopper Auto Idle Stop OFF Module
    • WeatherTech HP Floor Liners
    • Tint
      • Front Driver & Passenger Windows, 30%
      • Front Windshield, 50%
    • Lasfit LEDs
      • Front Turn Signals
      • High Beams
      • Reverse Lights
      • All interior lights
    • Diode Dynamics SS3 Max Amber Fog Light Kit + HD Harness (not installed, on the way) *edit: these are now installed! (see pics)
Automotive parking light Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Hood
Camera lens Reflex camera Point-and-shoot camera Digital camera Camera

I sold my 4Runner (pic below) to get a more reliable (less modded and less maintenance requiring) and better MPG car, that can still tow 5,000lbs, and is easier for my wife to also drive. We can still put our Go Fast Campers rooftop tent on the OEM crossbars, and still plan to camp often with this. Not likely any off-roading like we did in the 4Runner, but I have other vehicles dedicated for that now. The Passport is everything I was hoping it would be and more, I've owned 2 Hondas and 1 Acura in the past and happy to return to the Honda family.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Car

Let me know if you have any questions!

·
Registered
Black 22' PP
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How is the idle stopper working for you? Easy to install? Thinking about getting it. Awesome mods !
Thanks! The idle stopper has been flawless, and I like knowing my battery and other components aren't being worn as much restarting alot (I know they're over built for it, but I like not wearing them).

I don't really need it for gas mileage as my driving gets plenty good mpg. And I love that I can still turn it on if I know I'll need it (I.e. Like pulling up to a stop for a train).

Super super easy install, would recommend if you like the benefits!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks amazing. It is just how I would configure mine if I get one. I was comparing EXL to Trailsport and didn't notice much difference in spec other than roof rail and wheels and tires. I think EXL is the best option and add accessories per your taste. would you agree?

·
Registered
Black 22' PP
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks amazing. It is just how I would configure mine if I get one. I was comparing EXL to Trailsport and didn't notice much difference in spec other than roof rail and wheels and tires. I think EXL is the best option and add accessories per your taste. would you agree?
Yea, I would definitely agree with that (and we certainly voted that way with our own money). Everything my wife and I saw in the Trailsport and Elite that we wanted could be added after the fact, and bought online from dealers at 40-50% off (+shipping) and then installed myself, meaning we could pay for what we wanted and not have to get charged for the labor that Honda or the dealer would charge and instead do it myself saving money. I know it's not perfect math but you do save.

The only things I didn't get from the higher trims were the following and here's my thoughts on each:
  • TS/Elite get 5K lbs towing --> I knew I'd install ATF cooler
  • TS/Elite get different seats --> TS get's orange stitching (big whoop), Elite get's ventilated (less comfortable as vents use up foam space)
  • Elite gets hands free power tailgate --> we didn't want feature, or the extra complexity
  • TS/Elite get heated wiper zone --> I had on 4Runner and never used it
  • TS/Elite get LED fog lights --> I knew I'd install SS3s myself
  • TS/Elite get roof rails --> I knew I'd install rails/crossbars
  • TS/Elite get different wheels/tires (depending) --> I knew I wanted different wheels/tires than any of the trims
  • TS/Elite get 115-volt power outlet --> we didn't need that feature as we use a portable power solution (Jackery)
  • Elite gets premium audio --> never impressed with factory audio regardless and not worth cost to us
  • Elite gets rear row climate controls --> no big deal to us
  • Elite gets heated steering wheels --> my wife did want this but I primarily drive this car so we'll get on her car
  • TS/Elite get integrated 2nd row sun shades --> no big deal to us
  • TS/Elite get integrated illuminated beverage holders --> no big deal to us
  • TS/Elite get ambient lighting --> no big deal to us
That's largely everything, I know I missed a few even less significant. This is simply my wife and I's opinions, but this is what led us to the EX-L; save money, install ourselves, and get exactly what we wanted!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Really great looking mods! Love the black rhino wheels. I also tinted 50% in front and 30 for front side windows but now I wish I had gone a little darker….also I put a laminx front cover but the guy at the body shop who repairs and reprograms them says it interferes….sucks that Honda doesn’t make an OEM black emblem with radar

·
Registered
Black 22' PP
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really great looking mods! Love the black rhino wheels. I also tinted 50% in front and 30 for front side windows but now I wish I had gone a little darker….also I put a laminx front cover but the guy at the body shop who repairs and reprograms them says it interferes….sucks that Honda doesn’t make an OEM black emblem with radar
Thanks man! Having had my 4Runner very dark (50 on the front, and ~12 on the sides) I'm ok going a touch lighter, that was very dark. I still may want to 3-5% the rear windows though for cargo privacy reasons.

In regards, to black, I'm trying to find a black emblem cover on the steering wheel for the center chrome logo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
View attachment 15607
View attachment 15626 View attachment 15607 View attachment 15606 View attachment 15609

New owner of a 2022 Honda Passport EX-L in Black, got it for ~$45K after taxes/fees etc. I have about ~1,200 miles on it so far and have nearly completed my build, just waiting on the SS3s to come and install.

Installed/Purchased the following OEM and aftermarket accessories (and installed my self) so far:
  • OEM
    • Honda Roof Rails
    • Honda Crossbars
    • Honda Trailer Hitch & Harness
    • Honda ATF Cooler
    • Honda HPD Mud Flaps (not pictured)
    • Honda Grill Accent Piece, Gloss Black
    • Honda Black Emblems
  • Aftermarket
    • Black Rhino Overland Wheels, 18", 35mm Offset
    • Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail Tires, 245/60R18
    • CarlinKit 3.0 Wireless Apple CarPlay Adapter
    • Idlestopper Auto Idle Stop OFF Module
    • WeatherTech HP Floor Liners
    • Tint
      • Front Driver & Passenger Windows, 30%
      • Front Windshield, 50%
    • Lasfit LEDs
      • Front Turn Signals
      • High Beams
      • Reverse Lights
      • All interior lights
    • Diode Dynamics SS3 Max Amber Fog Light Kit + HD Harness (not installed, on the way) *edit: these are now installed! (see pics)
View attachment 15628 View attachment 15627

I sold my 4Runner (pic below) to get a more reliable (less modded and less maintenance requiring) and better MPG car, that can still tow 5,000lbs, and is easier for my wife to also drive. We can still put our Go Fast Campers rooftop tent on the OEM crossbars, and still plan to camp often with this. Not likely any off-roading like we did in the 4Runner, but I have other vehicles dedicated for that now. The Passport is everything I was hoping it would be and more, I've owned 2 Hondas and 1 Acura in the past and happy to return to the Honda family.

View attachment 15610

Let me know if you have any questions!
How was the fog light kit install? I would like to do the same on my 22 EX-L. By the way, good color choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
Black 22' PP
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How was the fog light kit install? I would like to do the same on my 22 EX-L. By the way, good color choice.
Yo! love the color, I think I'm also looking to get window deflectors like yours too. Great simple build.

The fog install was not too hard, getting the pods mounted was super easy through the wheel well (wheels stayed on, just turned in), routing all the wire was easy too I followed factory harnesses, and came up through the bottom center of the engine bay following a harness up between the radiator fans, getting the harness plug through the sidewall and grommet took the most fiddling (as seen in my pics), but I got it to work and I couldn't be happier with the performance.

The technique to get though the plug/harness through the grommet was basically using a wire hanger, but with some needed variation as the plug is quite large compared to the grommet, feel free to DM me and I can explain in detail over the phone if you'd like (not sure if that's allowed in forum etiquette), but I'd be happy to explain. I won't have time for awhile to do a build thread, but here's pics otherwise.

Pics in order: #1 harness wired up between fans, #2 where I went down the side of the hood into the fire wall area, #3 where I mounted the relay (right with the battery ground), #4 trim needing removal to access firewall grommet, #5 up where the firewall grommet is and plug finally through (note al l the scratches, slightly difficult), #6 pulling the switch/dash panel out to access blank switch to install the harness switch

Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive fuel system
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Personal luxury car
Car Vehicle Gear shift Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Vehicle Hood
Hood Light Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yo! love the color, I think I'm also looking to get window deflectors like yours too. Great simple build.

The fog install was not too hard, getting the pods mounted was super easy through the wheel well (wheels stayed on, just turned in), routing all the wire was easy too I followed factory harnesses, and came up through the bottom center of the engine bay following a harness up between the radiator fans, getting the harness plug through the sidewall and grommet took the most fiddling (as seen in my pics), but I got it to work and I couldn't be happier with the performance.

The technique to get though the plug/harness through the grommet was basically using a wire hanger, but with some needed variation as the plug is quite large compared to the grommet, feel free to DM me and I can explain in detail over the phone if you'd like (not sure if that's allowed in forum etiquette), but I'd be happy to explain. I won't have time for awhile to do a build thread, but here's pics otherwise.

Pics in order: #1 harness wired up between fans, #2 where I went down the side of the hood into the fire wall area, #3 where I mounted the relay (right with the battery ground), #4 trim needing removal to access firewall grommet, #5 up where the firewall grommet is and plug finally through (note al l the scratches, slightly difficult), #6 pulling the switch/dash panel out to access blank switch to install the harness switch

View attachment 15726 View attachment 15722 View attachment 15723 View attachment 15725 View attachment 15724 View attachment 15721
Thank you for the pics Schendo. I might pick your brain later if I have any questions. I need to order the parts first then check out the area where you route your wires and go from there.

·
Registered
Black 22' PP
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the pics Schendo. I might pick your brain later if I have any questions. I need to order the parts first then check out the area where you route your wires and go from there.
Happy to! The kit is very nice and has everything you need, it's really nice quality (coming from Baja Designs on my 4Runner) I'm pretty impressed. It's all quite straight forward other than some finicky business just grey the plug through the firewall.

Having had them now for a few weeks I really like having them, especially on their own dedicated switch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Everything my wife and I saw in the Trailsport and Elite that we wanted could be added after the fact
  • Elite gets heated steering wheels --> my wife did want this but I primarily drive this car so we'll get on her car
Great work with this build. Not recommended as a DIY, but other members had the heated steering wheel installed at the dealer for about $700 (could be less). After a quick search, it is possible with lower trims, but it may need to be verified for the 2023.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts