Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm thinking if grap a set of KMC bully and KO2 tires. And maybe get an extra wheel and tire replace the spare. I check the diameter is fit, but I don't know if the spare tire well are deep enough for a full size tire and wheel. Had Anyone have experience with this? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,545 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing this as well.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've read that it won't fit.. I too want to get rid of these 20" wheels. When I do so, I'll probably just sell them with the stock tires on them and buy 5 new wheels and tires.
At that time, I will investigate this. I too, want to carry a matching spare close to the spot the donut is currently stored. I imagine all the plastic back there will have to be removed. A new cabinet would probably have to be built.
I'll post my findings when I find them!

Reactions: stevenD

·
Registered
887 Posts
20201110_171333.jpg

The spare is 2" shorter and probably about 4"
narrower. Even if a full size fits with the plastic tray removed, it will still be too wide to fold the top back down flush.

Reactions: larryd

·
Registered
887 Posts
Today I tried to place my full sized spare (255/65/17. 30.1" tall) into the lower cargo area.
To my surprise, the sub woofer was not in the way. The tire touches the rear most part of the compartment.

20201201_141122.jpg

20201201_135245.jpg

Laying down,, The tire is however, too tall to close the cover.
Comparison shot.
20201201_134708.jpg

Reactions: DudeCS

·
Registered
887 Posts
It would be fairly easy to raise the entire cargo platform 4 inches to lay on top of the full sized tire.
Headed to Moab in the morning. My spare will be here. Honda really did us a solid by placing these 4 strong tie down loops in the back.
A loose tire back here could certainly kill us if we were to get into an accident. Ratchet straps are the only way to go.
20201201_161856.jpg

·
Registered
887 Posts
Jealous. Have Fun!

My Moab trip is still in the planning phase.
Thanks,
If you want company, let me know when you are headed this way.
I'm excited to see how much fun this thing actually is down there.

Reactions: pnw_adventure

·
Registered
887 Posts
What size tire is that you are fitting in there? We don't all have same size replacement tires.
Thanks for asking, I'll edit that in.
Its a 255/65/17. Its 30.1" tall and 10" wide.
So 1/2" taller and 1" wider than the stock EXL
245/50/20.

Reactions: Cilles

·
Registered
887 Posts
If you haven't removed your spare yet, I would admonish you to see if you can loosen the hold down bolt. Mine was so tight it was impossible to un screw by hand.
So I made a tool out of a 2"x2" scrap of wood.
20201201_145500.jpg

This makes removal super easy even for my Wife.
20201201_142302.jpg

I put some anti-sieze on the threads, they were dry.

Another cool discovery.
It would be easy to fasten the full sized spare down to the same location. You would just need a longer bolt and have to run it through one of the lug holes instead of the hub hole.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Honda does it again. While working in the back, I needed to prop the cargo platform up to get the spare out. I looked up and noticed a plastic hook on a chord. It worked perfectly. It hooks onto the rear seat belt in the headliner.
Thanks Honda R&D!
20201201_135318.jpg

Reactions: pnw_adventure
1 - 13 of 13 Posts