Honda Passport Forum banner

Aftermarket muffler.....

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  dvs1270 
#1 ·
So I'm thinking of putting a new muffler on the car, nothing too loud, but I'm looking for a little low toned growl with V6. My question is have any of you replaced the muffler and happen to know what size I need to look for? I'd prefer to get something similar sized to the factory muffler so I don't need to put a whole new exhaust on (since I haven't found any bolt on kits). I'm going to put an intake on it also, but I wanted to upgrade the muffler a bit too.

I know it wouldn't sound anything similar, but I love the sound of the Track hawks. So I want something noticable but not overboard

#2 ·
Highly suggest you read through 407guy's build thread. Very insightful info. (y)

407 Guy's Build

#8 ·
The chances of being loud are minimal. The car I believe has 5 mufflers. I removed 3 and the car did not make any additional noise. You should see if you have a local shop that will just remove a few of the mufflers vs a whole new exhaust set up. It will likely be less expensive and will remove some of the resistance, without fears of changing the tone/volume too much.

#9 ·
The Passport has a catalytic converter, a resonator, and a muffler. I'm pretty sure the two small cannisters ahead of the exhaust tips are small mufflers with spark arrestors. Most vehicles sound is restricted as much by the catalytic converter(s) as by the actual mufflers so unless you decat the exhaust you won't gain much sound. For instance, I replaced the OE muffler on my 3 cylinder Triumph and was able to get a richer & bit louder sound with the aftermarket can. After removing the stock muffler I started the engine to see how loud it was direct out of the cat.. To my untrained ear it sounded exactly the same as it does with my aftermarket muffler.

#12 ·
Have you thought about an exhaust cut out ?

Kris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.