Honda Passport Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why 2 big honking mufflers baffles me. One isn't enough? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm thinking one is a resonator and the other is the actual muffler. My guess is the first one (closest to the engine) is the resonator but that's a guess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sure, it's the same sequence on all new Honda vehicles. Here it is:
1. Apply regular brake, turn traction off and back on
2. Apply parking brake, release regular brake, turn traction off and back on
3. With the parking brake still applied, apply the regular brake. Turn traction off and back on.

If you've done the sequence correctly, you will see the stability symbols start to flash and the car will not take any action to prevent wheel slip or maintain stability. ABS still functions normally.
Hey, I did this and the stability symbols flashed, but it still cut power when I floored it on a gravel road. Do you think stability is still on for some reason? Or maybe it's cutting power when it shifts while spinning to protect the tranny?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Once 2 lights are lit/flashing I've been able to slide my passport around without any noticeable power loss or VSA interference but it's possible it'll still do it to protect either the transmission or even more likely the diff? Once we get some snow on the ground I think it'll be a lot easier/more obvious if that's the case.

·
Registered
291 Posts
A good rule of thumb, for horsepower increases (at the wheel) is:
Every $1,00 spent, on parts, will be 1 HP.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A good rule of thumb, for horsepower increases (at the wheel) is:
Every $1,00 spent, on parts, will be 1 HP.
Not sure if I agree with this at all. Im not sure where you are getting parts from that are so expensive and yield little to no results.

·
Registered
276 Posts
One dollar = One horsepower? I'd take that all day long...

:LOL:

Reactions: novabus

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not sure if I agree with this at all. Im not sure where you are getting parts from that are so expensive and yield little to no results.
I think he means that for every $100 spent , nets 1 HP gain on average. This is a good rule of thumb . ITs what ive known to be relevant at times. I have a a Subaru where ive invested about $10k in parts and i have roughly 100 HP over stock to the wheels . Original Dyno results measured 235 whp on my 2011 wrx. Most recent dyno measured 381 HP on Ethanol and 332 HP on 91 octane. Just some food for thought for ya :)

·
Read Only
160 Posts
I think he means that for every $100 spent , nets 1 HP gain on average. This is a good rule of thumb . ITs what ive known to be relevant at times. I have a a Subaru where ive invested about $10k in parts and i have roughly 100 HP over stock to the wheels . Original Dyno results measured 235 whp on my 2011 wrx. Most recent dyno measured 381 HP on Ethanol and 332 HP on 91 octane. Just some food for thought for ya :)
Heeey! I also had a wrx with about 385hp. It had around $10k in upgrades too but for the powertrain i spent a lot less...used vf39 turbo, good deal on dp/exhaust/etc. With a turbo and especially a Subaru you can put in a little and get out a lot, especially since the motor can handle 500hp stock.

On the Honda J35 v6 though? Diminishing returns. Its a much more closed system and high compression so the most one could really do is intake/exhaust before needing to upgrade the internals...not to mention the awd would probably be fried if you went high hp. I have wondered about hondata or someone offering an ecu upgrade...either as a chip or a cobb accessport style. Just to get some smoother maps and better mpg.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Heeey! I also had a wrx with about 385hp. It had around $10k in upgrades too but for the powertrain i spent a lot less...used vf39 turbo, good deal on dp/exhaust/etc. With a turbo and especially a Subaru you can put in a little and get out a lot, especially since the motor can handle 500hp stock.

On the Honda J35 v6 though? Diminishing returns. Its a much more closed system and high compression so the most one could really do is intake/exhaust before needing to upgrade the internals...not to mention the awd would probably be fried if you went high hp. I have wondered about hondata or someone offering an ecu upgrade...either as a chip or a cobb accessport style. Just to get some smoother maps and better mpg.
I agree 100%. A naturally aspirated engine really is hard to yield any higher HP figures without significant modification to the engine internals, timing and ECU tuning. Really not worth it on our Passports.
intake and exhaust bolt ons coupled with a custom protune to ensure every part is working to its full potential is all we can do. The rest of the time and money spent should be for suspension, brakes and tires. Then accessory lighting

·
Registered
1 Posts
My last car was a 400hp tuned subaru. It had an intake made by subaru among other things. I raced cars on and off tracks. I put an aem intake on the passport that replaced the subaru. I like vtec. The passport hauls ass through the mountains more comfortably and efficiently than the little subie ever did. It’s quick- quicker and more efficient than most in its class, with class leading awd. You sir, dont need to be swinging your toys around pooping on us having fun with our ‘grocery getters.’
I just bought a 2019 Passport Touring, for now it's replacing my 2002 Cobb Stage II WRX wagon, and a pickup truck. I like to go fast, but I also like to adventure and haul a side console fishing boat and kayaks. I'm hoping the Passport can do it all.....I maybe just bought the AEM intake for the sound factor.

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Passport Touring, for now it's replacing my 2002 Cobb Stage II WRX wagon, and a pickup truck. I like to go fast, but I also like to adventure and haul a side console fishing boat and kayaks. I'm hoping the Passport can do it all.....I maybe just bought the AEM intake for the sound factor.
Welcome and congrats on your purchase, the Canadian Touring model is the same at the Elite down here in the US. I have a Touring too, but again it has a few less features, but I did get the AWD, it is the first AWD vehicle I have ever owned and I'm loving it! I've had mine for eleven months, and counting.

best of luck...

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have the AEM intake, my wife purchased it for me. After install I have had 3 occasions where it stated engine issue, shut down my AWD and reduction in power. I work at a dealership and service telling me the airflow tolerances are so tight it tripped the computer. I removed the intake and went back to factory and have had no issues. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I will add that with my intake the off the line "kick" is diminished with it installed. No issues though throwing the computer for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I have the AEM intake, my wife purchased it for me. After install I have had 3 occasions where it stated engine issue, shut down my AWD and reduction in power. I work at a dealership and service telling me the airflow tolerances are so tight it tripped the computer. I removed the intake and went back to factory and have had no issues. Has anyone else seen anything like this?
Could you elaborate under what conditions this occurred? I'm really curious if it was startup/idle/cruising/acceleration that made the ECU freak out. Mine is coming in a few days so this is saddening news.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Need more info. What DTC did the vehicle have stored when it "tripped".

·
Registered
2 Posts
According to the shop, the intake airflow was too high. Did the same thing on a 2020 Ridgeline Black edition. The shop state warranty covers nothing due to it being an airflow issue. AWD lights and and emissions system lights and warnings. Ultimately I took it off. One tech said it may be due to the 9 speed vs 6 speed transmission.
Anyone want an intake with hyrophobic sleeve used 1 month?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Interesting. I've had my AEM intake installed for about 15,000 miles. Not a single issue. Just removed it this weekend - not there is anything wrong, just want to drive around with the OEM set-up as a comparison.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts