Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any aftermarket fog light replacements for the 2019/2020 Passport yet? The OEM lights are not good at all. Looking for a bright, low and wide amber light to cut through the fog better.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Are there any aftermarket fog light replacements for the 2019/2020 Passport yet? The OEM lights are not good at all. Looking for a bright, low and wide amber light to cut through the fog better.
I’ve been looking too and found the following:
Jsport has the Baja Designs fog pockets- $324.95.
Diode Dynamics SS3 LED fog lights- $200.00 and come in white or yellow
Morimoto XB LED $175.00
BD - emailed them to see If they can be used on the street and was told the SAE version should be used
DD - found these on the Pilot forum. Someone with a 2019 Pilot installed these. This set is SAE/DOT approved
Morimoto- I emailed them to see if they would fit because they’re listed fo up to 2015 Pilot and they said yes but may need to trim the plastic piece on the bracket
I’m trying to find out the lumen output on the factory fogs before spending the money.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jsport has the Baja Designs fog pockets- $324.95.
Morimoto XB LED $175.00
Thanks! These are just what I was looking for! Do you know if there are any instructions online for replacing the stock fogs lights? I like the Jsport fogs because they seem to be made specifically for the Passport fog pockets, whereas the others are just "universal". I'm just not sure what goes into installing them, and I would probably avoid it if I am required to remove the entire front bumper.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks! These are just what I was looking for! Do you know if there are any instructions online for replacing the stock fogs lights? I like the Jsport fogs because they seem to be made specifically for the Passport fog pockets, whereas the others are just "universal". I'm just not sure what goes into installing them, and I would probably avoid it if I am required to remove the entire front bumper.
The owner of the Pilot shows pictures of the diode dynamics install. Looks like he pulled back the liner and pulled them out. He did mention having to solder the wires.
I’m going to have mine installed- don’t want to mess anything up.
I assume there are instructions with the Baja Designs that Jsport sells

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've also been doing some research on upgrading the fog lights and have found the following:

Diode Dynamics SS3 LED Fog Light Kit -
Sport version $200, 1300 measured lumens, 1930 raw lumens, 14.5w.
Pro version $320, 2700 measured lumens, 5220 raw lumens, 36w.
SAE compliant, road legal
3" diameter
Fog Lights use a 4000k bulb with a yellow lense (Driving Lights use a 6000k bulb with a clear lense).
Lenses can be swapped out for Driving, Flood, SAE Fog, or Spot for $30 each making these quite versatile.
Confirmed with DD by email that this should be Plug N Play for the Passport.
Specs & Light Output:
Installation:

JSport Honda Pocket Fog Kit $325 -
3.5" diameter, 3150 lumens, 26w
I believe the bracket is still a generic version (Type A) used on several types of vehicles.
What JSport is selling is the Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport Light:
Note: This is not SAE compliant for street legal use, so not an option for me. It is also 3.5" diameter and the opening on the Passport is 3.1" so could possibly run into adjustment/tilt issues.

Baja Designs Squadron-R SAE -
3" diameter, 2480 lumens, 22w
Replaceable Lenses
Note: I don't see a mounting kit that includes the Honda Passport/Pilot but I believe it may be the same as the "Ford/Subaru, Fog Pocket Kit, SAE Squadron Kits" but that would need to be confirmed.
Could also contact JSport to see if they can sell this light with the proper bracket.

Morimoto XB LED $175.00
BD - emailed them to see If they can be used on the street and was told the SAE version should be used
DD - found these on the Pilot forum. Someone with a 2019 Pilot installed these. This set is SAE/DOT approved
Sheltie, do you have the link to the Pilot Forum where he installed the DD lights?

I’m trying to find out the lumen output on the factory fogs before spending the money.
I've been trying to find this out also, but have had no luck, dealer may have more info.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've also been doing some research on upgrading the fog lights and have found the following:

Diode Dynamics SS3 LED Fog Light Kit -
Sport version $200, 1300 measured lumens, 1930 raw lumens, 14.5w.
Pro version $320, 2700 measured lumens, 5220 raw lumens, 36w.
3" diameter
Fog Lights use a 4000k bulb with a yellow lense (Driving Lights use a 6000k bulb with a clear lense).
Lenses can be swapped out for Driving, Flood, SAE Fog, or Spot for $30 each making these quite versatile.
Confirmed with DD by email that this should be Plug N Play for the Passport.
Specs & Light Output:
Installation:

JSport Honda Pocket Fog Kit $325 -
3.5" diameter, 3150 lumens, 26w
I believe the bracket is still a generic version (Type A) used on several types of vehicles.
What JSport is selling is the Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport Light:
Note: This is not SAE compliant for street legal use, so not an option for me. It is also 3.5" diameter and the opening on the Passport is 3.1" so could possibly run into adjustment/tilt issues.

Baja Designs Squadron-R SAE -
3" diameter, 2480 lumens, 22w
Replaceable Lenses
Note: I don't see a mounting kit that includes the Honda Passport/Pilot but I believe it may be the same as the "Ford/Subaru, Fog Pocket Kit, SAE Squadron Kits" but that would need to be confirmed.
Could also contact JSport to see if they can sell this light with the proper bracket.

Sheltie, do you have the link to the Pilot Forum where he installed the DD lights?

I've been trying to find this out also, but have had no luck, dealer may have more info.
I did a search on Upgraded 2019 Touring Fogs - Diode Dynamics

Did you by chance research the Morimoto lights?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just purchased the JSport Baja Designs fog pocket lights. I emailed them and they said the lights are plug-and-play, no soldering needed. They also include instructions on how to get to and remove the OEM fogs. I'll post pictures and opinions after I receive them and do the install.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just purchased the JSport Baja Designs fog pocket lights. I emailed them and they said the lights are plug-and-play, no soldering needed. They also include instructions on how to get to and remove the OEM fogs. I'll post pictures and opinions after I receive them and do the install.
Great - looking forward to your reply
I’m leaning towards the diode dynamics or Morimoto
I think the Baja Designs will be too bright for oncoming traffic as I use mine for night driving and lighting up the sides of the highway so I can hopefully see the deer

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did a search on Upgraded 2019 Touring Fogs - Diode Dynamics

Did you by chance research the Morimoto lights?
I couldn't find any info on Morimoto, when I go to their website and try to plug in year/make, the latest year it has is 2018, and I saw was that they use film tape on the lens to get the yellow tint. If you have any better info, please provide.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Great, let us know how the install goes and if you can please provide a before and after of the beam pattern. I would like to see if they have any kind of a cutoff that will not blind oncoming traffic as well as the increased lumens as compared to the stock lights, as I intend to use mine for on road snow driving.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I’m leaning towards the diode dynamics or Morimoto
I think the Baja Designs will be too bright for oncoming traffic as I use mine for night driving and lighting up the sides of the highway so I can hopefully see the deer
I'm leaning toward the Diode Dynamics Pro version. If it's as bright as I think it will be, it makes me want to get the clear SAE Driving Light instead of the SAE Fog and use them all the time.

My other option would be to get the JSport Safari Bumper and put some light pods on it.
Car Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Grille

·
Registered
50 Posts
I couldn't find any info on Morimoto, when I go to their website and try to plug in year/make, the latest year it has is 2018, and I saw was that they use film tape on the lens to get the yellow tint. If you have any better info, please provide.
The Morimoto only goes to 2015, like the diode dynamics that the 2019 pilot owner installed

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm leaning toward the Diode Dynamics Pro version. If it's as bright as I think it will be, it makes me want to get the clear SAE Driving Light instead of the SAE Fog and use them all the time.

My other option would be to get the JSport Safari Bumper and put some light pods on it.
View attachment 6157
Go to Tacoma World and search The LED SAE J583 Fog Pod & Fog Light Review. Someone on there did a test of all the fog lights. Very informative. I’m really leaning towards the Diode Dynamics Sport white fog lights. I don’t off-road so I don’t really need the Pro version

·
Registered
88 Posts
Go to Tacoma World and search The LED SAE J583 Fog Pod & Fog Light Review. Someone on there did a test of all the fog lights. Very informative. I’m really leaning towards the Diode Dynamics Sport white fog lights. I don’t off-road so I don’t really need the Pro version
Wow, that's a lot of time someone has put into comparison of many different SAE Fog Lights. Here is the link for anyone else that may be following this thread, and the technical information for the Diode Dynamics SS3 starts on page 137 as these have just become available.

Here are a few highlights that I took away from all the postings on the Diode Dynamics SS3:
1) Light output of the Pro model greatly beats anything else on the market, Sport model is comparable to a few top rated other brands.
2) Lenses can be swapped out for SAE Driving, Flood, SAE Fog, or Spot for $30 each making these quite versatile.
3) Sport vs Pro emitters. The Sport uses smaller emitters which give it an advantage in focus (and a sharper cutoff with less light leakage). The Pros emitters are higher power with greater output. The Sport meets the modern SAE J583 F3 spec, whereas the Pros meet the SAE J583 F spec.
4) Both Sport & Pro models have an 80 degree beam angle, which is the widest of all lights. The Pro was a taller beam pattern than the Sport.
5) Both the Sport and Pro run hotter than most LED fog lights, which is a good thing, since most LED lights don't produce much heat and will freeze over in wintery weather making them useless.

For my use I am leaning towards the SS3 Fog in Yellow, and getting the Pro model due to the higher running temperature which should keep them from freezing over.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of time someone has put into comparison of many different SAE Fog Lights. Here is the link for anyone else that may be following this thread, and the technical information for the Diode Dynamics SS3 starts on page 137 as these have just become available.

Here are a few highlights that I took away from all the postings on the Diode Dynamics SS3:
1) Light output of the Pro model greatly beats anything else on the market, Sport model is comparable to a few top rated other brands.
2) Lenses can be swapped out for SAE Driving, Flood, SAE Fog, or Spot for $30 each making these quite versatile.
3) Sport vs Pro emitters. The Sport uses smaller emitters which give it an advantage in focus (and a sharper cutoff with less light leakage). The Pros emitters are higher power with greater output. The Sport meets the modern SAE J583 F3 spec, whereas the Pros meet the SAE J583 F spec.
4) Both Sport & Pro models have an 80 degree beam angle, which is the widest of all lights. The Pro was a taller beam pattern than the Sport.
5) Both the Sport and Pro run hotter than most LED fog lights, which is a good thing, since most LED lights don't produce much heat and will freeze over in wintery weather making them useless.

For my use I am leaning towards the SS3 Fog in Yellow, and getting the Pro model due to the higher running temperature which should keep them from freezing over.
Can you please provide an update after you install these, and possibly install pictures. Also, pictures of the lights at night

·
Registered
50 Posts

View attachment 6157
The Diode Dynamics SS3 LED fog lights are on sale for 20% off through May 29 - not sure you purchased already. The Jsport bumper is on sale as well

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But has anyone actually done a fog light replacement yet? Does the entire bumper have to come off or can we just access it through the wheel well?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts