Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So maybe I'm doing something wrong....maybe not. The ACC sensor does not seem to "see" the cars in front of me all the time. I'll, for example, have my cruise set to 72MPH with a following distance of 3 units. Sometimes it works as expected, and when the person in front of me slows down, my vehicle slows down to maintain the correct distance.

Many times, however, my car does not recognize the vehicle in front of me until I am very close, at which point my car brakes moderately. This happens regardless of the type of vehicle in front of me - small sedans, tractor trailers, etc. There's no rhyme or reason to when it works and doesn't (at least none that I've been able to figure out).

I've gotten to the point where I just don't trust it anymore.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't think the Honda ACC is the best stuff around. My new F-150 does a much better job of making smooth transitions when encountering a slow moving vehicle. That's what we get.

Reactions: npeckio

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are you making sure the front radar unit behind the forward Honda Emblem is not obstructed or dirty in any way? Also be sure the forward facing camera is not obstructed or dirty either.
If both components are clean, then the best advice is to visit the dealer and have them perform a full re-calibration of the camera and radar unit if they can

Reactions: scooter1

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you making sure the front radar unit behind the forward Honda Emblem is not obstructed or dirty in any way? Also be sure the forward facing camera is not obstructed or dirty either.
If both components are clean, then the best advice is to visit the dealer and have them perform a full re-calibration of the camera and radar unit if they can
Sorry for the delayed response. Yeah - I did make sure both were clean before my latest long trip (300 miles). I noticed simi;ar behavior. I think I'll have to take it for recalibration. It's pretty frustrating for what should be a great feature to not work consistently. I have not been able to figure out any pattern as to why it works sometimes but not others,.

·
Registered
355 Posts
This has come up in other threads as well. I'm scheduled to have my cracked windshield replaced tomorrow and the company claimed they will recalibrate everything as part of the process. I hope this helps smooth out the speed transitions when coming up on a slow-poke. If not, It's off to the dealer.
Mike

Reactions: Dro1984

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine feels like it either is on the gas or on the brakes.... I can't imagine someone following me when I have ACC in use... they probably think I a brake tapper ... always hitting the brakes. It's annoying and therefore do not use it much just like I turned off the lane departure on regular driving. I do use the LKA on ACC.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This has come up in other treads as well. I'm scheduled to have my cracked windshield replaced tomorrow and the company claimed they will recalibrate everything as part of the process. I hope this helps smooth out the speed transitions when coming up on a slow-poke. If not, It's off to the dealer.
Mike
Let us know Mike....I'm interested. I may have to have the dealer re calibrate it... as it's not very good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting topic. I was familiar with Honda ACC because we purchased a CRV about a year and a half prior to getting the PP with this feature and I always thought it was pretty flawless on the CRV. Now switch to the PP and the system on the PP just seems to be a little more quirky for lack of a better way to put it. I do feel it is tuned differently. Distances are different and the CRV ACC will actually take you down to a stop and then pick up speed so it is truly a complete stop and go system. The PP won't do that and I often find as many have stated that it will slow me down way ahead of the car in front of me to the point where I override the system, yet on some instances it will take me closer and then slow down more abruptly. I use it, but find that I override it more often than I do in the CRV. I had a discussion about it at the dealer and was told the systems are slightly different and the system is tuned to react based on speed, etc. That said, I agree with many that what is available in the PP may not be the best out there and until reading this never did really think about getting it recalibrated. If any of you actually do this, I would be interested in the results.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Interesting topic. I was familiar with Honda ACC because we purchased a CRV about a year and a half prior to getting the PP with this feature and I always thought it was pretty flawless on the CRV. Now switch to the PP and the system on the PP just seems to be a little more quirky for lack of a better way to put it.
I absolutely agree! Our 17 CRV had a smooth ACC and the PP version is very frustrating to use. I plan to check with my dealer as well about recalibration. I'm glad this thread was started and hope we can coordinate! That's what this forum is for!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also moved from a 2017 CR-V and was quite surprised that the Honda Sensing system in the Passport was remarkably inferior to the CR-V. As I was preparing to buy the Passport I discovered the day before I was to take delivery that Honda Sensing doesn’t mean the same thing in different vehicles. I came close to not buying the Passport on discovering its lack of low speed follow. I don’t get why they put a different system in when the one they’ve had for two years was wonderful. I used low speed follow a lot, but am resigned now to not having it, but even the ACC that is here doesn’t work as smoothly above 45 mph as the CR-V. I don’t understand why the same functionality could not be in the Passport. Are they afraid of liability issues?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I brought my Passport to the dealer to be re-calibrated. (They call it a "Camera re-learn"). The technician on the phone said he definitely noticed the problem, did an "update" and now it's fixed. Jury is still out, but it DID seem more responsive on the 6 mile trip home from the dealer. I'll have more info after I put some more miles on it.

Explanation on the invoice didn't really match what they told me on the phone, but here's what it said (see attached image).

On the bright side, they didn't even try to charge me for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
After our windshield replacement, I went to Honda for a re-calibration as the Lane Assist was clearly off. Honda was unable to perform this recal and blamed it on the windshield - After market you know - Well in the process I mentioned to the Service Mgr that the ACC was not very smooth. He said they get complaints about this but there is little they can do.

I went back to Safelite and they did the calibration just fine but the ACC is the same. I suspect this is not part of the windshield re-calibration.

There are a few things about my Passport that really bother me.
1. The ACC sucks. Constant 'hunting' for where to position itself.
2. The Bluetooth doesn't consistantly connect to my iPhone X. No excuse for this.
3. Garmin Nav is nowhere close to the level of my 5 year old stand alone Garmin NuviCam. I feel a permanent or built in GPS should be state of the art. I can buy a far superior Garmin 52 with traffic for $169 on Amazon.
4. Lack of a 360 Camera - This is important in a vehicle this size.

Hopefully a software/firmware update can cure a couple items on the list.
Mike

·
Registered
355 Posts
I’ve noticed a drastic improvement after getting the camera re-learn done.
Talk a little about the before and after. My dealer didn’t seem to believe my issues were a problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Before, the sensor would routinely not pick up a car in front of me even if it was very close. So if I were coming up behind a slow poke on the highway, I would be much too close for comfort before it would pick up the vehicle and slow me down.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I haven't used the ACC much since my daily commute is 5 miles roundtrip and have yet to take the PP on an adventure. This thread worries me since this is a feature I truly enjoyed in my previous vehicle (Ford Escape) and seems like just another thing Honda skimped on so I'll have to be more vigilant when I lease my next vehicle about the things that are truly important to me.

The Escape didn't handle the low speeds either so I can live with that and the only glitch (which they documented) was if there was a tractor trailer going around a curve on the adjacent lane the sensor would think it's in front of you and slow up. Not a huge issue, probably only saw it happen two or three times in 3 years.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I haven't used the ACC much since my daily commute is 5 miles roundtrip and have yet to take the PP on an adventure. This thread worries me since this is a feature I truly enjoyed in my previous vehicle (Ford Escape) and seems like just another thing Honda skimped on so I'll have to be more vigilant when I lease my next vehicle about the things that are truly important to me.

The Escape didn't handle the low speeds either so I can live with that and the only glitch (which they documented) was if there was a tractor trailer going around a curve on the adjacent lane the sensor would think it's in front of you and slow up. Not a huge issue, probably only saw it happen two or three times in 3 years.
I've found ACC to maybe not be the greatest piece of tech on the Passport. I used it a good amount on my summer road trip. Basically, my experience was that it sucked to use in the more crowded areas of the roads, but it was OK during most of the drive outside the busier areas. I will say that there were a couple of times where I was driving a straight stretch of road, ACC is locked in on the car (even a semi once) in front of me for a while then suddenly it just can't stay locked on anymore for no reason at all. Also, it tends to take it's time getting back up to speed when you have to slow down.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've found ACC to maybe not be the greatest piece of tech on the Passport. I used it a good amount on my summer road trip. Basically, my experience was that it sucked to use in the more crowded areas of the roads, but it was OK during most of the drive outside the busier areas. I will say that there were a couple of times where I was driving a straight stretch of road, ACC is locked in on the car (even a semi once) in front of me for a while then suddenly it just can't stay locked on anymore for no reason at all. Also, it tends to take it's time getting back up to speed when you have to slow down.
I used it sparingly yesterday on a couple of commutes. The first time I wasn't thrilled at all, it did seem to brake more than it should-- if I was going 65 and the car in front slowed to 64 it would brake rather than just easing off the accelerator (or it's equivalent term for ACC). I could see if the car in front braked more significantly. I think my Escape handled that better. The other times I used, granted the freeway wasn't as crowded it was a more pleasant experience so I tend to agree that I'll be less inclined to use it when the freeways are crowded but we shall see.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts