Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meant to ask this for a while... I am in midwest so not super hot. Still on 90+ degree days., it did not feel as the air coming out of vents was cool enough. Since I dont drive much at present, it was not a big deal . However each time I got into my wifes 7 year old RDX, I was asking myself whats wrong with AC in passport.

Fall is here now. So not longer an issue. Just trying to see if anyone else noticed and to see dealer about it...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,708 Posts
No issues. But each person has a body temperature preference.

Get a digital thermometer and check the temperature on it vs, what your display says.
The dealer will be a waste of time unless you have that as proof there is an issue.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite AWD - Modern Steel Metallic
12 Posts
On some 90+ degree days in the summer here in New England we felt the same way about the AC in the Passport. I don't believe there is a problem, I just think the cabin is massive and the AC isn't as powerful as it should be for this vehicle. We've accepted it because it's not an issue on the non-scorcher days, and I don't think there's anything we can do about it anyways.

Reactions: linkdude64

·
Registered
2020 Elite BCP
56 Posts
I've only been driving my 2020 Elite a few months, but I would agree...I'm underwhelmed by the AC...it does seem like it is underpowered. Very disappointing since the AC in some of my family/friends CRVs was/is magnificent. Yes cabin size matters as far as ambient air temp over time, but I'm comparing just the volume of cold air pumped out of the registers in the first place...you have to have the control set nearly to maximum output to get much volume out of the Passport compared to my other vehicles.

If you drive gravel/dirt/rural roads much it might also be worth checking the cabin air filter. I was about ready to have the AC in my 10+ yo Prius serviced, but after researching a bit discovered that cabin air filter...oh boy was that clogged with road dust/dirt. After replacement (vacuuming works too for a few times before replacing) it was like having a brand new AC. I doubt this is the issue with my weak Passport AC though...it has less than 1000mi on it and very little dirt/gravel roads...

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
420 Posts
I've only been driving my 2020 Elite a few months, but I would agree...I'm underwhelmed by the AC...it does seem like it is underpowered. Very disappointing since the AC in some of my family/friends CRVs was/is magnificent. Yes cabin size matters as far as ambient air temp over time, but I'm comparing just the volume of cold air pumped out of the registers in the first place...you have to have the control set nearly to maximum output to get much volume out of the Passport compared to my other vehicles.

If you drive gravel/dirt/rural roads much it might also be worth checking the cabin air filter. I was about ready to have the AC in my 10+ yo Prius serviced, but after researching a bit discovered that cabin air filter...oh boy was that clogged with road dust/dirt. After replacement (vacuuming works too for a few times before replacing) it was like having a brand new AC. I doubt this is the issue with my weak Passport AC though...it has less than 1000mi on it and very little dirt/gravel roads...
I'm frugal to a fault, however, you win! 😁 and then some...
Here I'll have to not agree, it's those micro particulate that are imbedded that you'll never get that build up say after few vacuum sessions. I'm ok w/ the $15 replacement cost and the 5 minutes of my time to perform every 12-15K miles. It's a consumable and one that I don't skimp on.

On hot days here, (all year long) I have added the auto start as my pre-drive routine. It gets the juices flowing (oil) and it starts the AC to the last set selected temperature. Paired with high quality ceramic tint and a windshield sunscreen, My AC has never been a questionable issue.

Reactions: Coyotefred

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I bought my 2004 F150 the A/C was sub par. When I took it in under warranty they reprogramed the (in Ford's case) the interior and exterior temperature sensors. That helped some but still didn't seem that things were right especially with such a small cabin. There were A/C guys on the job so I asked them to put the gauges on it. Well they found freon was low. They checked for leaks, topped off the feron and to this day you need a coat with the A/C on high on a 90 deg day. When I asked Ford about it they said if they under fill the system at the factory it still will work and they will save Millions of $$$ in freon costs. He told me that very few people complain and the few that do they top up the system. Most were told that "it is normal" and nothing can be done and they accepted it. You can ask for the dealer to put the gauges on it or if you have a garage you trust ask them to check it before you go to the dealer. A gauge check shouldn't be to expensive.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I make sure the green eco button is not engaged.
I turn on the rear ac also, because the space is so big.
I don't compare it to my 2000 Acura Integra 2 door's ac, which has never been to the shop, because there's hardly any air space to cool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would take it to the dealer. When I first got my 2019 PP the AC was very weak. I took it to the dealer and it turned out that the coolant level was low and they had to replace the "AC discharge hose". They told me that they've seen a number of PPs with that issue. It actually took a while to get the part too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Two thoughts. The auto stop/start has a huge impact on the AC staying cold. Disable that on those hot days where it matters. I've noticed a big difference. And as others have mentioned you could turn off eco and see if that improves things.

Reactions: Coyotefred

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone. Next time for an oil change I will have them check the coolant level. I figured this was all caused by "greener" coolants which are not close to Freon of the old days.
I installed idle stopper gizmo (this summer) and did not see difference .. .but I also have eco mode on all the time so will give it a try next time temp is over 90 which maybe next year.

Yes.. RDX is smaller. I figured that that part of passport was carry over from pilot which is larger cabin. I guess not...

Not sure where some of you folks go .. around here I cannot go up to mechanic at the dealer and ask him to hook up the hoses and start checking what I like...it just does not work like that. Besides, they are on strike here now ... no big deal... this can wait.

·
Registered
2020 Elite BCP
56 Posts
Point taken ;) I wouldn't vacuum/reuse more than once or twice before replacing, but it seemed wasteful to just toss it the first time when a decent vacuuming made such a huge difference in the AC performance....more of a waste issue than $$$ issue for me but I'm sure you're right...many of the smaller particles won't be removed. And for me/where I drive (lots of rural roads with fine just/sand tossed up since I'm in a drier area), my filter is needing vacuuming/replacing far more often than 12-15K miles :)

I'm frugal to a fault, however, you win! 😁 and then some...
Here I'll have to not agree, it's those micro particulate that are imbedded that you'll never get that build up say after few vacuum sessions. I'm ok w/ the $15 replacement cost and the 5 minutes of my time to perform every 12-15K miles. It's a consumable and one that I don't skimp on.

[snip]

·
Registered
115 Posts
My front AC seems to work fine, but something I noticed a couple of times when I have it set to “Auto” is the rear is blowing warm air?? This is when for example this morning thermometer reads 76F outside and the auto is set at 72F auto. Front is blowing cool air, but the rear vent when I reach back is definitely blowing warm air. When I moved the setting to 69F (giggity) the rear vents then blow cooler air. EX-L so only front can control the rear temps. Is this normal behavior

·
Registered
33 Posts
My front AC seems to work fine, but something I noticed a couple of times when I have it set to “Auto” is the rear is blowing warm air?? This is when for example this morning thermometer reads 76F outside and the auto is set at 72F auto. Front is blowing cool air, but the rear vent when I reach back is definitely blowing warm air. When I moved the setting to 69F (giggity) the rear vents then blow cooler air. EX-L so only front can control the rear temps. Is this normal behavior

I have noticed this as well, I ended up manually lowering the back of the PassPort to a much lower temperature. I am not sure why it was blowing warm, it’s probably something obvious . . . . . Just not to me lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would say there is definitely something wrong with your AC. I live in Dallas and I keep mine around 82 degrees on both sides in the summer. I am very tolerant of the heat, though so I had my friend, who gets hot very easily, ride in my car when I had it at 82 and he said it was fine. He was actually surprised it was set at 82 and thought it felt cooler than that. If I drop it down in the 70's my PP gets really cold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Meant to ask this for a while... I am in midwest so not super hot. Still on 90+ degree days., it did not feel as the air coming out of vents was cool enough. Since I dont drive much at present, it was not a big deal . However each time I got into my wifes 7 year old RDX, I was asking myself whats wrong with AC in passport.

Fall is here now. So not longer an issue. Just trying to see if anyone else noticed and to see dealer about it...
A/C on my 2019 Passport has been a disappointment here in South Florida. It functions at specs but just doesn’t have the capacity to cool the box. I use a cargo area cover, park in the garage mostly, shut down the A/C and drive with all the windows open to flush the hot air out, and use the recirculating option when appropriate, but it barely keeps up. Wife’s car is a Lexus ES350, and does not have these issues. It’s not fixable and you’ll just have to deal with it until you unload the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts

My 2019 Passport had the same issues. Dealership had to replace the coil, clutch and AC compressor. Lucky for me it was still under warranty. Disappointed in how my PP has so many issues with infotainment system too. Hondas are not as reliable anymore, we were a Honda family for years but my PP seems to be put together with cheap parts

·
Registered
4 Posts

Fall is I agree it never feel like it cools enough. I noticed it when temperatures were in the low to mid 80s,

I noticed it when temperatures reached low to mid 80s. Since our summer reaches 110 some days in the Valkey, I took it in right away. They said AC is within Specs. Needless to say, even dropped to Low, whenever temperatures are anything over 80, it never feels cool enough. They also pointed out that using the Eco mode does affect the AC.

·
Registered
52 Posts

I just went to the good Honda dealer in Boulder CO this week to have the AC inspected plus the sunglass holder replaced and they spent a couple hours evacuating the AC system, pressurizing it and looking for leaks and they found none plus it had the correct weight of refrigerant. When they first tested the temperature put out by the AC they got a 45 F reading and after they replaced the refrigerant with new refrigerant, they got a 43 F reading. They thought maybe the flushing of the refrigerant may have unlodged some obstacle but a 2F difference in temperature is not much since I am not sure if they calibrate their thermocouples or have a fool proof procedure to use them or if they even use thermocouples but rather use some cheap off the shelf thermometer to perform their measurements. The Honda dealership did acknowledge that some Honda Passports were shipped with low refrigerant levels recently but my car was not one of them. If you have a honest friendly Honda dealership, especially if your car is still in warranty, you should ask them to make sure your car is not one of those shipped with low refrigerant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts