Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Do you guys know if one tire is bad would all 4 need to be replaces as it’s an AWD?
The type of AWD on the Passport is not as critical to equal front and rear wheel speed as much as some other more traditional AWD setup such as the full time AWD system on a Subaru WRX.
On the Passport the rear axle is overdriven when engaged and disengaged as speed goes up so it doesn't matter as much. Just replace a pair if that's what you want.
Rotating tires more often will help with even wear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
OK a little update, I was not satisfied with the drive and the car kept pulling to the right.

So I bought those lifts you guys recommended in this form and then lifted the car up myself and started inspecting the tires. Guess what? Lo and be hold, there’s a metal spike lodged into my tire. The first front tire I looked at too!

How can the dumbasses at the Honda dealership not see that? I had it taken there 3 times, 2 different mechanics looked at it.

I’m done with Honda dealerships.

Going to see if I can replace that one tire and do a tire shaving to match with the other 3 or just replace all 4 tires. Bill it to no fault insurance claim!

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
533 Posts
OK a little update, I was not satisfied with the drive and the car kept pulling to the right.

So I bought those lifts you guys recommended in this form and then lifted the car up myself and started inspecting the tires. Guess what? Lo and be hold, there’s a metal spike lodged into my tire. The first front tire I looked at too!

How can the dumbasses at the Honda dealership not see that? I had it taken there 3 times, 2 different mechanics looked at it.

Going to see if I can replace that one tire and do a tire shaving to match with the other 3 or just replace all 4 tires. Bill it to no fault insurance claim!

You can't ever go wrong if you do some problem troubleshooting and verify whatever the dealer says. That's why people join car forums.

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle registration plate

Check both your front tires to ensure the thread is wearing evenly and they are structurally sound...

·
Registered
377 Posts

How new are the rest of the tires? Usually I think you can get away with having different tread height on the front axle as it's just an open diff.

·
Registered
377 Posts
But I have an AWD.
The AWD system in the Passport is not what people call full time AWD meaning the engine torque does not go to the back all the time meaning the majority of the time it's mostly FWD. As a result, it can tolerate tire tread depth difference much better than say a full time AWD system which constantly send torque to all four wheels.
Plus your current tires are only about 4 months old so the tread depth difference is so little, the curvature in the road will have a greater effect on wheel speed.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts