Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. A while back, I installed Alpine aftermarket tweeters and mangled the A-Pillar cover a bit. I also cut the harness so I could wire the speakers. I am now ordering new A-pillar covers ($15 plus shipping) through HondaPartsNow. Have others used this site? The part is described as NH900L and the description looks right. Once I get the new pillars, I am going to either install the original speakers, which I can get from the site for $18 (wow), or look for new tweeters.

I just cannot get good sound from the Alpine tweeters. I think the DSP in the original deck is skewed heavily to adjust for the really crappy speakers. Trying to mess with a new DSP amp is probably too big a haul for me to do myself and I've not had much luck finding an installer in the Chicagoland area. Thoughts/advice on installers would also be much appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi All. A while back, I installed Alpine aftermarket tweeters and mangled the A-Pillar cover a bit. I also cut the harness so I could wire the speakers. I am now ordering new A-pillar covers ($15 plus shipping) through HondaPartsNow. Have others used this site? The part is described as NH900L and the description looks right. Once I get the new pillars, I am going to either install the original speakers, which I can get from the site for $18 (wow), or look for new tweeters.

I just cannot get good sound from the Alpine tweeters. I think the DSP in the original deck is skewed heavily to adjust for the really crappy speakers. Trying to mess with a new DSP amp is probably too big a haul for me to do myself and I've not had much luck finding an installer in the Chicagoland area. Thoughts/advice on installers would also be much appreciated.
Replying to myself...it looks like HPN is cheaper than Bernardi for the Pillar covers, and that others have used the site. I should have searched better before posting!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Replying to myself...it looks like HPN is cheaper than Bernardi for the Pillar covers, and that others have used the site. I should have searched better before posting!
Bernardi's prices can be indeed steep but HPN is not a real Honda parts dealer, they just take your order then go place the order with an Honda parts dealer. Problem with that is they don't know what's in stock or sold out when accepting your order, several people who used HPN (including me) got sent an email days later that the item they paid for is not available. I paid with Paypal so was promptly refunded, some other buyers in the reviews I read after my failed purchase complained of difficultly in getting refunded.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bernardi's prices can be indeed steep but HPN is not a real Honda parts dealer, they just take your order then go place the order with an Honda parts dealer. Problem with that is they don't know what's in stock or sold out when accepting your order, several people who used HPN (including me) got sent an email days later that the item they paid for is not available. I paid with Paypal so was promptly refunded, some other buyers in the reviews I read after my failed purchase complained of difficultly in getting refunded.
Got it, thanks! I went ahead and ordered just because they were a little cheaper. If they try to increase the price after the fact, I'll cancel and move to Bernardi. Thanks for letting me know your experience, I'll hope for the best, it's a small amount of money for these so not a big deal.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,550 Posts
Well, if you want to return to stock, then you will be fine, I'm sure.

In my A-Pillars, I first upgraded to the Focal 165AS Tweeter ($380/set) using the stock OEM Amp and they sounded horrible.

Then I added an 8-channel Audison Amp and they still sounded crappy, so I knew it was the speakers.

So I upgraded to the top-of-the-line (2-way) Focal 165W-XP Utopia Speaker Set ($2k/set) and the sounded AWESOME!!!!
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Grille

They looked great and fit perfectly!

But then later, I wanted to go with a 3-way and went with the Audison Thesis Violino ($1800/pair), but they did not fit, so I had to have my A-Pillars modified and recovered in fabic. The looked better than the OEM plastic when completed .

Wood Tire Art Bumper Automotive exterior

Shoe Blue Bicycle part Bicycle saddle Grey

And mounted, with my matching custom Mid Range Dash-pods:

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Steering part

Cheers!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks StevenD! Your system is awesome. I have the EX-L so not starting from the same base, and I'm not ready to go quite that far. I would spend $1,000 if I could find a dealer to put in a decent DSP/Amp in my area. For the time being, I will probably find some tweeters that are a bit warmer and see how that sounds. Or I will go back to OEM tweeters and fade to the back where I have some entry-level Morel 2-ways.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,550 Posts
love the sound of Morels...

Reactions: BrianLOregon

·
Registered
51 Posts

I have the alpine tweeters and no issues install was easy as well. And that site is good for most Honda parts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the alpine tweeters and no issues install was easy as well. And that site is good for most Honda parts
Yep, install was pretty straightforward, sound just isn't right for me. Did you use the crossovers? I tried with and without, wasn't satisfied with either config.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep, install was pretty straightforward, sound just isn't right for me. Did you use the crossovers? I tried with and without, wasn't satisfied with either config.
I used the crossovers and added the dsp along with amp sounds good to me so far but I’m no audiophile and it’s just to me better than the sorry and weak OEM speakers that came in my trailsport.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used the crossovers and added the dsp along with amp sounds good to me so far but I’m no audiophile and it’s just to me better than the sorry and weak OEM speakers that came in my trailsport.
I would love to add an amp and DSP, I think that's the root of the issue. There's no point in upgrading my speakers too much when they're being driven by an oddly configured DSP that had to compensate for really bad speakers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts