Honda Passport Forum banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Nice build 407guy.

Sharp looking rig. Last week I ordered some 17" wheels. I sure hope they clear the calipers.
I appreciate how you reported things so detailed and honestly. That helps the rest of us a bunch.

I know how frustrating it is to take it to the dealer and have them say, "there's nothing we can do".
The right rear passenger window in our new CRV would not work about 5% of the time. We took it in and they wouldn't even trouble shoot it.
I think all of these electronic gadgets aren't all they are cracked up to be.

Anyway, thanks again for the detailed info.

Cheers, MJ

Reactions: 407guy

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Thanks MJ! You're more than welcome. (y)

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
So I want more sound. What muffler shoould I put in it?
I contacted Magnaflow and asked them what mufflers were included with the Ridgeline system.

Muffler = #14256 (or 12256 which is not polished)
Resonator = #14426 (or 10416 which is not polished)

This should give anyone a good starting point as to what mufflers to possibly get for a custom system.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Update #1 for today:

Boo-yah! I was able to score the exhaust flanges from a 2018 MDX via eBay. Had them just chop off the pieces I wanted and they shipped. Not the prettiest but the muffler shop said they'd work no problem.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Update #2 for today:

"Installed" the Cup Holder Hero. Not bad. Picked up via Amazon.

Reactions: stevenD

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Update #3 for today:

Test fitted the Luno air mattress I picked up from @jasper.

There is no indication it's specifically for the HP so to me the fitment is a bit off. I was expecting it to sit a bit more flush with the sides but all-in-all it'll work for our purposes. Packs down pretty small. Thanks jasper!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Magnaflow muffler and resonator arrived. Plan is for the surgery this Wednesday (27-Jan-2021).

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,897 Posts
Good luck, love to see how it comes out, and be sure to wear a mask during the operation...!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Can't remember the last time I was NOT wearing a mask! :confused:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
So I had the muffler shop build me a "custom" exhaust with the above referenced Magnaflow products.

While not as loud as with my prior muffler delete (see above in this thread) there is still some drone right around 2,000 rpms. Going to leave it as is for a bit to see how I like it, or don't. One thing I did notice is that above 4,000 rpms the exhaust is quiet. All motor sounds at that point, nothing from the exhaust. I'd rather have it quiet at the low end and then wake up as you climb rpms. Maybe with this Honda V6 it cannot be done what I'm after. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Okay, spent some time driving this past weekend (to the Rolex 24 at Daytona!). Think I need to tone down the drone in the cabin at highway speeds. Wife and son (10) said it's not bad but I think after 250 miles it'll get old, real quick.

I spoke with Magnaflow today and they said to swap out the 4" round muffler for one of their 6" round mufflers as it will have more packing. Magnaflow said the 4" round is the smallest they make; read: it'll be the loudest.

Hopefully I'll have time to stop at the muffler shop later this week and ask if a bigger muffler will fit within the current build done by the shop.

The journey continues.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Thanks for reporting on all your R&D on this. I'm impressed with your diligence.
Hope you achieve your goal.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
^ No problem Moab Junky. And I hope so too (getting to the promised land).

I went to the muffler shop today to talk about changing out the 4" to 6". Admittedly this would cause the shop to lose some business but they said it probably wouldn't change the sound much to just change the diameter. "If the muffler length is the same, the diameter will have little effect." * shrug *

Back to more research on the available Magnaflow mufflers (2.5" outlets).

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hmmm, seems like more volume would make a deeper sound....
I'm watching your every move.
You build thread is meticulously written and a joy to read. And believable!

Thanks
MJ

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
So another call today with Magnaflow. I asked what would be "better" to help with the tone (frequency) of the set-up I have. I don't want to lose sound which is not the same as the frequency I hear in the cabin (the death drone). Specifically, whether a 6" round muffler or another 5x8" oval muffler like I already have installed would help with the tone. Magnaflow advised the 6" round again.

I have also been looking for a longer muffler as suggested by the muffler shop. Current ones are 14", the shop said 16" would be perfect. Lucky me, Magnaflow does not make a 16", only 14" and 18". The shop said an 18" may work but it'll probably require more work for them (read: more $ from me).

So I went ahead and ordered the 6" round Magnaflow muffler to swap with the 4" round that is currently installed, same 14" body length. Magnaflow # 12616.

Update once installed...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Did some more driving this weekend with the current set-up. Warm here in Florida so I had the windows down a bit and the sunroof open. In S mode, oh... it sounds soooo nice to me, downshifting through the gears - really good. Such as shame there's that dang drone with the windows rolled up.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Procedure #3. Swapped out the 4" round muffler to a 6" round muffler. I will note that Magnaflow does have a 5" round muffler. And I probably should have gone with a 5" round and not a 6" round. Post surgery the sound inside is like the stock exhaust - nonexistent. Yes the drone is gone but so is any "exhaust" sound. I'm going to leave this as is to see if it gets any louder as we put more miles on the rig. Oh well. Fail = First Attempt In Learning. ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Put some real mileage on the exhaust system built. I'm thinking I may try the 5" round. There is a slight drone on the freeway but I'd like to get a bit more sound from this rig. Right now I tend to hear the tires and/or roof basket more than the drone. :p

Family went up to the Asheville, NC area for a few days.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Pulled the trigger on the 5" round muffler from Magnaflow. Hope to have it installed in the next week or two...

Part # 12866.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great work! I have searched and searched for exhaust upgrades and always came up empty handed. Do you have any videos that you can share with us of the 4”, 6”, and upcoming 5” Muffler?
I was wondering if adding or swapping the smaller rear mufflers would help with the drone.
I always liked the Infiniti FXs exhaust sound, even stock. I have also watched endless exhaust videos with the accord v6. There is hope for the passport. Thank you for your perseverance.

141 - 160 of 162 Posts